Model 270 memory configuration - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Model 270 memory configuration - IBM AS400 ; Hi, We have acquired a model 270 but it has no memory models installed. We already have a model 270 test system that has 2 x 3026 (512MB) memory modules, giving 1GB in total. Can I simply pull one of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Model 270 memory configuration

  1. Model 270 memory configuration

    Hi,

    We have acquired a model 270 but it has no memory models installed. We
    already have a model 270 test system that has 2 x 3026 (512MB) memory
    modules, giving 1GB in total.

    Can I simply pull one of the 3026s from our test system and install it
    into the box without memory?

    Thank you.




    *** anti-spam email address - please reply to group ***


  2. Re: Model 270 memory configuration

    xyzzy I wish it could be that simple but it can not. You need to have 2
    memory modules in the 270. If you like, that both out of the test
    machine and put it in the 270 and power it up as you would. But then
    you will not be able to run the test machine.

    If you got couple thousand dollars, there are memory modules availble
    for you to purchase...just google it or find it on EBay.

    Gil

    p.s. I wish we could just purchase those EEC memory chips made for PC so
    I can add 8gb of memory to my AS/400 system without paying 6,000 for it!
    IBM got me by the balls...!


    xyzzy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have acquired a model 270 but it has no memory models installed. We
    > already have a model 270 test system that has 2 x 3026 (512MB) memory
    > modules, giving 1GB in total.
    >
    > Can I simply pull one of the 3026s from our test system and install it
    > into the box without memory?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > *** anti-spam email address - please reply to group ***
    >


  3. Re: Model 270 memory configuration

    XYZZY -

    Click on this and you will find some for about 770.00 dollars. Remember
    the memory modules must come in pairs in the 270.

    Gil

    Gilbert Noetzel wrote:
    > xyzzy I wish it could be that simple but it can not. You need to have 2
    > memory modules in the 270. If you like, that both out of the test
    > machine and put it in the 270 and power it up as you would. But then
    > you will not be able to run the test machine.
    >
    > If you got couple thousand dollars, there are memory modules availble
    > for you to purchase...just google it or find it on EBay.
    >
    > Gil
    >
    > p.s. I wish we could just purchase those EEC memory chips made for PC so
    > I can add 8gb of memory to my AS/400 system without paying 6,000 for it!
    > IBM got me by the balls...!
    >
    >
    > xyzzy wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> We have acquired a model 270 but it has no memory models installed. We
    >> already have a model 270 test system that has 2 x 3026 (512MB) memory
    >> modules, giving 1GB in total.
    >>
    >> Can I simply pull one of the 3026s from our test system and install it
    >> into the box without memory?
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> *** anti-spam email address - please reply to group ***
    >>


  4. Re: Model 270 memory configuration

    I forgot to provide a link..sorry..too quick..

    http://search.ebay.com/search/search...tSearch=Search

    or do a EBAY Search: 9406 3026 in the search line and you will get some
    hit.

    Gil



    Gilbert Noetzel wrote:

    > xyzzy I wish it could be that simple but it can not. You need to have 2
    > memory modules in the 270. If you like, that both out of the test
    > machine and put it in the 270 and power it up as you would. But then
    > you will not be able to run the test machine.
    >
    > If you got couple thousand dollars, there are memory modules availble
    > for you to purchase...just google it or find it on EBay.
    >
    > Gil
    >
    > p.s. I wish we could just purchase those EEC memory chips made for PC so
    > I can add 8gb of memory to my AS/400 system without paying 6,000 for it!
    > IBM got me by the balls...!
    >
    >
    > xyzzy wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> We have acquired a model 270 but it has no memory models installed. We
    >> already have a model 270 test system that has 2 x 3026 (512MB) memory
    >> modules, giving 1GB in total.
    >>
    >> Can I simply pull one of the 3026s from our test system and install it
    >> into the box without memory?
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> *** anti-spam email address - please reply to group ***
    >>


  5. Re: Model 270 memory configuration

    Hello xyzzy,

    i managed to run 3006/3007 in a 270 of mine. Maybe that's depending on
    the
    processor type (2248 here), but if you can get your hands on these
    modules
    for a test, do so as these modules are (at least here in germany)
    significant cheaper.

    -h

    "xyzzy" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:1162459241.351062.326150@e3g2000cwe.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have acquired a model 270 but it has no memory models installed.

    We
    > already have a model 270 test system that has 2 x 3026 (512MB) memory
    > modules, giving 1GB in total.
    >
    > Can I simply pull one of the 3026s from our test system and install it
    > into the box without memory?




  6. Re: Model 270 memory configuration

    Gilbert Noetzel wrote:
    > xyzzy I wish it could be that simple but it can not. You need to
    > have 2 memory modules in the 270. If you like, that both out of the
    > test machine and put it in the 270 and power it up as you would. But
    > then you will not be able to run the test machine.
    >
    > If you got couple thousand dollars, there are memory modules availble
    > for you to purchase...just google it or find it on EBay.
    >
    > Gil
    >
    > p.s. I wish we could just purchase those EEC memory chips made for PC
    > so I can add 8gb of memory to my AS/400 system without paying 6,000
    > for it!


    That's why a AS400 runs forever and a PC must be rebooted every two weeks.





  7. Re: Model 270 memory configuration

    > > p.s. I wish we could just purchase those EEC memory chips made for PC
    > > so I can add 8gb of memory to my AS/400 system without paying 6,000
    > > for it!

    >
    > That's why a AS400 runs forever and a PC must be rebooted every two weeks.


    Thanks for all of the replies.

    So, I've learnt that memory in the 270 must be in pairs and it's
    pretty expensive. I've also discovered that this particular 270 has
    a 2248 processor. Would it accept 3002 or 3004 memory modules? It's
    just that we have a 720 system containing these and it is due to be
    decommissioned early next year.

    Thanks again.


  8. Re: Model 270 memory configuration

    xyzzy -

    Hey I have a 270 here that is currently going to be 'thrown' out due to
    our migration to Microsoft Exchange/Dynamics platform. Our company is
    being merged into another company..and they are not 'pro AS/400'..go figure!

    I have 1.5gb in this 270. When they have no need for this system, I can
    give you 2 chips = 256 each..which gives you 500mb of memory. I am
    keeping the 2 - 512mb memory ..if I can keep this system as a hobby
    system for myself.

    It has a 2248 CPU in it with 40gb of DASD with V5R3 OS. I am going to
    try to get V5R4 for 'just in case' if I get the system, I can unload the
    8gb disk to 17.4 disk and load v5R4 OS on it on my own time later.

    Gil




    xyzzy wrote:
    >>>p.s. I wish we could just purchase those EEC memory chips made for PC
    >>>so I can add 8gb of memory to my AS/400 system without paying 6,000
    >>> for it!

    >>
    >>That's why a AS400 runs forever and a PC must be rebooted every two weeks.

    >
    >
    > Thanks for all of the replies.
    >
    > So, I've learnt that memory in the 270 must be in pairs and it's
    > pretty expensive. I've also discovered that this particular 270 has
    > a 2248 processor. Would it accept 3002 or 3004 memory modules? It's
    > just that we have a 720 system containing these and it is due to be
    > decommissioned early next year.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >


  9. Re: Model 270 memory configuration

    * Pjotr :
    > > p.s. I wish we could just purchase those EEC memory chips made for PC
    > > so I can add 8gb of memory to my AS/400 system without paying 6,000
    > > for it!

    > That's why a AS400 runs forever and a PC must be rebooted every two weeks.


    PC servers use the same memory, with the same specifications,
    produced at the same production plant, but for a lower price.

    IBM is ripping it's customer base off. Don't defend that. Having
    an initial new i5 priced a bit higher because of i5/OS is fine
    with me. But the much higher cost DASD, Memory and Maintenance is
    inexplicable.

  10. Re: Model 270 memory configuration

    Lukas Beeler wrote:
    > * Pjotr :
    >>> p.s. I wish we could just purchase those EEC memory chips made for
    >>> PC so I can add 8gb of memory to my AS/400 system without paying
    >>> 6,000 for it!

    >> That's why a AS400 runs forever and a PC must be rebooted every two
    >> weeks.

    >
    > PC servers use the same memory, with the same specifications,
    > produced at the same production plant, but for a lower price.


    Don't believe that. Never seen those PC memory banks.




  11. Re: Model 270 memory configuration

    * Pjotr :
    > Don't believe that. Never seen those PC memory banks.


    The i5 and p5 are basically the same system. They use the same
    memory, the same service processors, just with different feature
    flags set. The older i5 systems (plain Power5) used Standard DDR1
    Memory with ECC, the newer Power+ Systems use DDR2 Memory with
    ECC.

    Try the memory in an i5 520 in a normal pc server which uses the
    same memory. Now try the opposite.

  12. Re: Model 270 memory configuration

    Lukas -

    Are you asking us to go out and buy ECC DDR2 chips on the PC market and
    stick it into a 9406-270 i5 Series and see if it works!...awe come on
    guys..that does not work or surprise me if it does work.

    Gil

    Lukas Beeler wrote:
    > * Pjotr :
    >
    >>Don't believe that. Never seen those PC memory banks.

    >
    >
    > The i5 and p5 are basically the same system. They use the same
    > memory, the same service processors, just with different feature
    > flags set. The older i5 systems (plain Power5) used Standard DDR1
    > Memory with ECC, the newer Power+ Systems use DDR2 Memory with
    > ECC.
    >
    > Try the memory in an i5 520 in a normal pc server which uses the
    > same memory. Now try the opposite.


  13. Re: Model 270 memory configuration

    * Gilbert Noetzel :
    > Are you asking us to go out and buy ECC DDR2 chips on the PC market and stick
    > it into a 9406-270 i5 Series and see if it works!...awe come on guys..that does
    > not work or surprise me if it does work.


    First on, a 9406-270 is not a System i5. It doesn't use DDR2
    Memory.

    Later on, all memory chips have a small piece of memory with a
    vendor field. IBM probably checks that field, and doesn't use the
    memory if it isn't IBM original System i5 memory.

    However, that doesn't make the memory any better then the much
    cheaper PC memory. I'm just saying that IBM is overcharging it's
    customers, nothing more. (I'm not comparing to noname Memory, but
    for example IBM System x Memory).

+ Reply to Thread