dead twinax terminal - need help - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on dead twinax terminal - need help - IBM AS400 ; I have an IO 2677C twinax terminal that stopped working. It is connected to an as400 model 9406-170 running v3r2m0. There are also pc's connected via tcpip using client access/400. The terminal powers on (led lights up) but nothing appears ...

  1. dead twinax terminal - need help

    I have an IO 2677C twinax terminal that stopped working. It is
    connected to an as400 model 9406-170 running v3r2m0. There are also
    pc's connected via tcpip using client access/400.

    The terminal powers on (led lights up) but nothing appears on the
    screen. When powered off, the crt darkens and shows the
    fading-point-of-light spot in the center of the screen.

    The goal is to get it working again or replace it with an easy and
    cheap solution.

    I am a complete as400 novice. I'm looking for advice (in as much
    detail as you wish) on how to diagnose and repair or replace the
    terminal.

    Furthermore, if you feel inclined, I have additional questions:

    1) is it possible that the terminal is not responding because the
    system console port was somehow disabled?

    2) can a non-twinax connection be used to connect a system console?
    (eg. rs232)

    3) my guess is that a refurbished twinax terminal ($200-$300 for
    monochrome) would be an easy solution...?

    Thank you in advance.

  2. Re: dead twinax terminal - need help

    Dolby

    Don't know the terminal model you describe but I would suggest:

    Get a replacement twinax terminal, I can't believe it will cost $200 -
    $300, in the UK if you had to pay (often you can find someone who will
    giving them away as they have loads in a store room) you would not
    expect to pay more than 30 ($60)

    The RS232 terminal is not an option, if you have a model 170 (can't be
    at V3R2, thats CISC release and 170 is RISC) then you can put an opps
    console cable in to allow you to use a PC as a console but
    reconfiguring the iSeries to use an alternate console is not a job for
    a Newbie.

    Anyway, once you have your replacement twinax, set it's address to 0
    and connect to port 0 on the twinax loon and the auto config eliment of
    you iSeries will sort the rest

    Good Luck, Brad

  3. Re: dead twinax terminal - need help

    dolby wrote:
    > I have an IO 2677C twinax terminal that stopped working. It is
    > connected to an as400 model 9406-170 running v3r2m0. There are also
    > pc's connected via tcpip using client access/400.
    >
    > The terminal powers on (led lights up) but nothing appears on the
    > screen. When powered off, the crt darkens and shows the
    > fading-point-of-light spot in the center of the screen.

    is there a blinking cursor in the upper left or upper right?

    > The goal is to get it working again or replace it with an easy and
    > cheap solution.
    >
    > I am a complete as400 novice. I'm looking for advice (in as much
    > detail as you wish) on how to diagnose and repair or replace the
    > terminal.

    bosanova sells PCI cards that allow you to use your PC as a system
    console.
    http://www.bosanova.net/

    not sure of the part number. best to call them, their tech support is
    pretty good. expensive though, about $400.

    > Furthermore, if you feel inclined, I have additional questions:
    >
    > 1) is it possible that the terminal is not responding because the
    > system console port was somehow disabled?

    DSPMSG QSYSOPR

    look for messages that say something like "device DSP01 varied off ..."

    you can look at the status of the twinax controller:

    WRKCFGSTS *CTL CTL01

    or WRKCFGSTS *CTL CTL*

    Your twinax cable connection could also be bad. You can try to
    disconnect the cable and feel the two pins. They should not move when
    you press on them.

    > 2) can a non-twinax connection be used to connect a system console?
    > (eg. rs232)

    yes, but it can be a hassle. Google "ops console" and "ops console
    cable"

    First thing to check is if your terminal has a blinking cursor.

    -Steve

+ Reply to Thread