Console cable/LAN - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Console cable/LAN - IBM AS400 ; Hi. My customer has i5 520 with operation console via direct cable connection. I was wondering if it is profitable to switch to LAN console. I did a test, configured it and it was working fine. But what if LAN ...

  1. Console cable/LAN

    Hi.
    My customer has i5 520 with operation console via direct cable connection.
    I was wondering if it is profitable to switch to LAN console.
    I did a test, configured it and it was working fine.
    But what if LAN problem occur? Will I be able to use direct connection
    again without any complicated actions need?
    Problem is that I work at one city and clients machine is far away from me.

    On SST console configration I've picked as console type 3 (LAN) and I
    also picked 1-Yes in 'allow console to be taken over by another' field.
    But is it enough to be able to use direct connection while LAN is down?

    Regards,
    Tomasz

  2. Re: Console cable/LAN

    * tomasz :
    > On SST console configration I've picked as console type 3 (LAN) and I also
    > picked 1-Yes in 'allow console to be taken over by another' field.
    > But is it enough to be able to use direct connection while LAN is down?

    You will need to change the console type manually at the machine.
    Using either 21+65 functions at the control panel, or the
    OPSCONSOLE macro if you're still able to access i5/OS.

    But i think you're using the wrong approach. Always connect to
    console to a local machine, which you can reach through the
    network. Attach that local machine directly to your System i5
    (using either a Ethernet, RS232 or whatever Connection), and
    access said local machine through a second network interface.

    This will allow local access no matter what happens to your LAN
    (by accessing said machine), but you can also connect remotely to
    said machine using RDP, VNC, or whatever you like.

    Greetings,

    Lukas

+ Reply to Thread