Urgent help needed !! Unable to load second tape during system backup - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Urgent help needed !! Unable to load second tape during system backup - IBM AS400 ; Hello everyone, We are doing a full backup of our system. We know that the backup needs two tapes. Now, tape 1 is full. We have tape 2 ready for insertion. But we don't know how to insert tape 2. ...

  1. Urgent help needed !! Unable to load second tape during system backup

    Hello everyone,

    We are doing a full backup of our system. We know that the backup needs
    two tapes. Now, tape 1 is full. We have tape 2 ready for insertion. But
    we don't know how to insert tape 2. At this point, the system sends

    "Waiting for a response in the QSYSOPR message queue".

    We believe this message has to do with inserting the second tape.
    However, we don't know how to react to this message. We've tried
    various keys on our monitor without success. This means our backup is
    basically hanging. Could you please tell us how to read the message in
    the first place and how to insert tape 2?

    Your help is urgently needed.

    Thanks in advance to all.

    Cheers,

    jardin bleu

  2. Re: Urgent help needed !! Unable to load second tape during system backup

    jardin bleu wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > We are doing a full backup of our system. We know that the backup needs
    > two tapes. Now, tape 1 is full. We have tape 2 ready for insertion. But
    > we don't know how to insert tape 2. At this point, the system sends
    >
    > "Waiting for a response in the QSYSOPR message queue".
    >
    > We believe this message has to do with inserting the second tape.
    > However, we don't know how to react to this message. We've tried
    > various keys on our monitor without success. This means our backup is
    > basically hanging. Could you please tell us how to read the message in
    > the first place and how to insert tape 2?
    >
    > Your help is urgently needed.
    >
    > Thanks in advance to all.

    you have to put the qsysopr msgq in break mode before running the
    backup!! Use system request 6 to display the qsysopr message
    queue.

    -Steve

  3. Re: Urgent help needed !! Unable to load second tape during system backup

    System-Request 4QSYSOPR

    That will show the QSYSOPR message queue and allow you to answer the
    message.

    Nick

    Steve Richter wrote:

    > jardin bleu wrote:
    >> Hello everyone,
    >>
    >> We are doing a full backup of our system. We know that the backup needs
    >> two tapes. Now, tape 1 is full. We have tape 2 ready for insertion. But
    >> we don't know how to insert tape 2. At this point, the system sends
    >>
    >> "Waiting for a response in the QSYSOPR message queue".
    >>
    >> We believe this message has to do with inserting the second tape.
    >> However, we don't know how to react to this message. We've tried
    >> various keys on our monitor without success. This means our backup is
    >> basically hanging. Could you please tell us how to read the message in
    >> the first place and how to insert tape 2?
    >>
    >> Your help is urgently needed.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance to all.

    > you have to put the qsysopr msgq in break mode before running the
    > backup!! Use system request 6 to display the qsysopr message
    > queue.
    >
    > -Steve

  4. Re: Urgent help needed !! Unable to load second tape during system backup

    Well, we solved the problem this morning with help from our AS/400
    supplier. The combination keys of our Infowindow II monitor we typed
    was
    [UPPER CASE] + [SYST ATTN]. This brought the QSYSOPR message queue menu
    up. From there, we choose Option 6 and then we answer the message
    asking us to insert the new tape.

    It simply did work.

    Steve and Nick, we thank you again for your quick reaction.

    Cheers,
    Jardin bleu

    Steve Richter wrote:
    > jardin bleu wrote:
    > > Hello everyone,
    > >
    > > We are doing a full backup of our system. We know that the backup needs
    > > two tapes. Now, tape 1 is full. We have tape 2 ready for insertion. But
    > > we don't know how to insert tape 2. At this point, the system sends
    > >
    > > "Waiting for a response in the QSYSOPR message queue".
    > >
    > > We believe this message has to do with inserting the second tape.
    > > However, we don't know how to react to this message. We've tried
    > > various keys on our monitor without success. This means our backup is
    > > basically hanging. Could you please tell us how to read the message in
    > > the first place and how to insert tape 2?
    > >
    > > Your help is urgently needed.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance to all.

    > you have to put the qsysopr msgq in break mode before running the
    > backup!! Use system request 6 to display the qsysopr message
    > queue.
    >
    > -Steve

+ Reply to Thread