sudo ??- groups and users - HP UX

This is a discussion on sudo ??- groups and users - HP UX ; Well I wrote an application that I wanted members of a group to execute. This is how it's setup login 'miket' is in users and 'smappusers' groups and has sudo su permissions four users are also in 'users' and 'smappusers' ...

  1. sudo ??- groups and users

    Well I wrote an application that I wanted members of a group to
    execute. This is how it's setup

    login 'miket' is in users and 'smappusers' groups and has sudo su
    permissions
    four users are also in 'users' and 'smappusers' groups.

    Because I didn't want the 'smappusers' to have access to all my
    scripts, I had a login and directory created for ' appuser'. In this
    directory I have a local application that calls on files and a sql
    located in 'miket' directory.

    I want the 'smappusers' group to run certain scripts located in
    'miket' directory called from the application sitting in 'appuser'
    directory . I believe that allowing them sudo rights would allow
    this.

    Does this sound correct?

    Thanks

    Mike

  2. Re: sudo ??- groups and users

    mmccaws2 wrote:

    >Well I wrote an application that I wanted members of a group to
    >execute. This is how it's setup
    >
    >login 'miket' is in users and 'smappusers' groups and has sudo su
    >permissions
    >four users are also in 'users' and 'smappusers' groups.
    >
    >Because I didn't want the 'smappusers' to have access to all my
    >scripts, I had a login and directory created for ' appuser'. In this
    >directory I have a local application that calls on files and a sql
    >located in 'miket' directory.
    >
    >I want the 'smappusers' group to run certain scripts located in
    >'miket' directory called from the application sitting in 'appuser'
    >directory . I believe that allowing them sudo rights would allow
    >this.
    >
    >Does this sound correct?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Mike

    Mike,

    With sudo you can give users or groups root access to run what ever
    commands/programs/scripts you want.

    So you should be able to give members of the smappusers group
    premission to run these scripts as root and only these scripts.

    Regards,

    Ted.
    | Ted Linnell |
    | |
    | Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

  3. Re: sudo ??- groups and users

    On Nov 3, 4:27*pm, Ted Linnell wrote:
    > mmccaws2 wrote:
    > >Well I wrote an application that I wanted members of a group to
    > >execute. *This is how it's setup

    > >login 'miket' is in users and 'smappusers' groups and has sudo su
    > >permissions
    > >four users are also in 'users' and 'smappusers' *groups.

    > >Because I didn't want the 'smappusers' to have access to all my
    > >scripts, I had a login and directory created for ' appuser'. *In this
    > >directory I have a local application that calls on files and a sql
    > >located in 'miket' directory.

    > >I want the 'smappusers' group to run certain scripts located in
    > >'miket' directory called from the application sitting in 'appuser'
    > >directory . *I believe that allowing them sudo rights would allow
    > >this.

    > >Does this sound correct?

    > >Thanks

    > >Mike

    > Mike,
    >
    > With sudo you can give users or groups root access to run what ever
    > commands/programs/scripts you want.
    >
    > So you should be able to give members of the smappusers group
    > premission to run these scripts as root and only these scripts.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Ted.
    > ================================================== ============
    > | Ted Linnell * * * * * * * * * * |
    > | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|
    > | Nunawading, Victoria , Australia * * * * * * * * * * * * * |

    Thanks

    Can only a user with root access setup sudo permissions.

    Mike

  4. Re: sudo ??- groups and users

    mmccaws2 wrote:
    > Can only a user with root access setup sudo permissions.

    Yes, unless you have allowed with sudo, others.

+ Reply to Thread