Q: Data Protector 6.0 (object copy): mirrored backups - HP UX

This is a discussion on Q: Data Protector 6.0 (object copy): mirrored backups - HP UX ; Hello, does anybody know why it it possible to define a mirred backup (e.g. to two tape drives), but not possible to define an object copy that writes to two tape drives at the same time? Copying from a file ...

  1. Q: Data Protector 6.0 (object copy): mirrored backups

    Hello,

    does anybody know why it it possible to define a mirred backup (e.g. to two
    tape drives), but not possible to define an object copy that writes to two
    tape drives at the same time?

    Copying from a file jukebox on a RAID5 to two tapes seems like a good idea
    before recycling the files on the RAID5...

    Regards,
    Ulrich

  2. Re: Data Protector 6.0 (object copy): mirrored backups

    Ulrich,

    I found this little bit of information, it is prior to DP 6.0, and does not
    reference 11i.v3, but shows a little history that this trouble will
    propagate upward and require a patch to be generated for resolution. One
    would have to read the patch description and resolution items. I am not into
    DP, just passing info along....:

    If a single drive is used and DP cannot connect to the client then the job
    aborts. If a backup
    specification that includes a drive mirror is used then the job hangs
    forever. The primary tape
    drive fails and the mirror tape drives hangs.

    Resolution:
    ===========
    The problem has been solved and fix will be delivered with the next
    appropriate General Release Patches.

    Patch
    Date Version
    Patch ID (yymmdd) Patch Description Platform Patched
    ----------- -------- ------------------------------------- -------- -------
    DPSOL_00173 051218 'OV DP5.50 patch - CS packet' Solaris 2.7
    2.8
    2.9
    DPWIN_00167 051208 'OV DP5.50 CS NT/Win2000/XP packet' Windows 1.00
    3.51
    4.00
    PHSS_33637 051218 'OV DP5.50 PA RISC patch - CS packet' HP-UX 11.00
    11.11
    11.23
    PHSS_33638 051218 'OV DP5.50 IA-64 patch - CS packet' HP-UX 11.23

    Tom

    "Ulrich Windl" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > does anybody know why it it possible to define a mirred backup (e.g. to
    > two
    > tape drives), but not possible to define an object copy that writes to two
    > tape drives at the same time?
    >
    > Copying from a file jukebox on a RAID5 to two tapes seems like a good idea
    > before recycling the files on the RAID5...
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ulrich

+ Reply to Thread