Network Install of 712/60 - HP UX

This is a discussion on Network Install of 712/60 - HP UX ; I have recently acquired a 712/60. It has 10.20 on it, but I would like to do a clean install. I have a copy of the 10.20 media, but I don't have a CD-ROM drive. I have heard rumors of ...

  1. Network Install of 712/60

    I have recently acquired a 712/60. It has 10.20 on it, but I would
    like to do a clean install. I have a copy of the 10.20 media, but I
    don't have a CD-ROM drive. I have heard rumors of being able to boot
    from a tftp server to do the install. I don't have another HP-UX
    system so I was wondering if any one has done this from a linux
    machine. If so any idea on how to do this would be great.

    Thanks
    Bob

  2. Re: Network Install of 712/60

    Bob wrote:
    > I have recently acquired a 712/60. It has 10.20 on it, but I would
    > like to do a clean install. I have a copy of the 10.20 media, but I
    > don't have a CD-ROM drive. I have heard rumors of being able to boot
    > from a tftp server to do the install. I don't have another HP-UX
    > system so I was wondering if any one has done this from a linux
    > machine. If so any idea on how to do this would be great.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bob

    Bob,

    I am very unfamiliar with the beast, but another possibility might be to
    find an external SCSI CD-ROM drive and SCSI cable. The 712/60 has a
    50-pin miniSCSI port on the back.

    At this time in the evolution of SCSI, if you can find an external SCSI
    CD-ROM drive and cable, the price would be chickenfeed... Ben Myers

  3. Re: Network Install of 712/60

    In article <8eb69faf-e67c-449d-b2b4-34e273c0686c@k36g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
    Bob writes:
    > I have recently acquired a 712/60. It has 10.20 on it, but I would
    > like to do a clean install. I have a copy of the 10.20 media, but I
    > don't have a CD-ROM drive. I have heard rumors of being able to boot
    > from a tftp server to do the install. I don't have another HP-UX
    > system so I was wondering if any one has done this from a linux
    > machine. If so any idea on how to do this would be great.

    I'd say it's more practical to use a CD-ROM drive
    rather than trying to mess with a second computer.
    I always installed my 712's with external Toshiba drives,
    but Plextor's should work as well. They are usually cheap
    on eBay. And if you have more retro hardware, you will need
    one anyway.

  4. Re: Network Install of 712/60

    Bob schreef:
    > I have recently acquired a 712/60. It has 10.20 on it, but I would
    > like to do a clean install. I have a copy of the 10.20 media, but I
    > don't have a CD-ROM drive. I have heard rumors of being able to boot
    > from a tftp server to do the install. I don't have another HP-UX
    > system so I was wondering if any one has done this from a linux
    > machine. If so any idea on how to do this would be great.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bob

    Bob,

    I only found a reference to an how, using Linux as boot server. Not an
    installation server.

    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/PA...O/#bootnetwork

    I have a Yamaha CD-ROM drive with SCSI-1, and SCSI-2 connector. Might
    the HOWTO not work or not be what you want, the CD-ROM drive is for sale.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

+ Reply to Thread