prngd start failure - HP UX

This is a discussion on prngd start failure - HP UX ; Any ideas about the cause of the following start error: # /sbin/init.d/prngd.rc start EXIT CODE: 1 # Oct 20 10:50:36 maiva prngd[11307]: Will not touch /var/run/egd- pool: no socket Glance shows no resource problems. -Kari-...

  1. prngd start failure

    Any ideas about the cause of the following start error:

    # /sbin/init.d/prngd.rc start
    EXIT CODE: 1
    # Oct 20 10:50:36 maiva prngd[11307]: Will not touch /var/run/egd-
    pool: no socket

    Glance shows no resource problems.

    -Kari-

  2. Re: prngd start failure

    Kari K wrote:
    > Any ideas about the cause of the following start error:

    > # /sbin/init.d/prngd.rc start
    > EXIT CODE: 1
    > # Oct 20 10:50:36 maiva prngd[11307]: Will not touch /var/run/egd-
    > pool: no socket

    > Glance shows no resource problems.

    Which OS rev? I thought that by 11.11 there was already a /dev/random
    provided by HP-UX?

    You might try looking at the specific commands in
    /sbin/init.d/prngd.rc and then try the prngd command "by hand" but
    with tusc to take a system call trace to see what it was doing that
    caused it to say "Will not touch..."

    Probably a good idea to use the tusc options to cause it to follow
    forks, and be a bit more verbose.

    rick jones

  3. Re: prngd start failure

    On Oct 20, 2:00*pm, Rick Jones wrote:
    > Kari K wrote:
    > > Any ideas about the cause of the following start error:
    > > # /sbin/init.d/prngd.rc start
    > > EXIT CODE: 1
    > > # Oct 20 10:50:36 maiva prngd[11307]: Will not touch /var/run/egd-
    > > pool: no socket
    > > Glance shows no resource problems.

    > Which OS rev? *I thought that by 11.11 there was already a /dev/random
    > provided by HP-UX?
    >
    > You might try looking at the specific commands in
    > /sbin/init.d/prngd.rc and then try the prngd command "by hand" but
    > with tusc to take a system call trace to see what it was doing that
    > caused it to say "Will not touch..."
    >
    > Probably a good idea to use the tusc options to cause it to follow
    > forks, and be a bit more verbose.
    >
    > rick jones
    > --
    > No need to believe in either side, or any side. There is no cause.
    > There's only yourself. The belief is in your own precision. *- Jobert
    > these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    > feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

    did you perhaps build this from the sources? some versions use the
    Entrophy Gathering Daemon by default, including version for HPUX11.0.
    you may need to rebuild with corrected options, reconfigure, or
    install and configure egd software

+ Reply to Thread