HP-UX "ping -i" vs. Linux "ping -I" - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP-UX "ping -i" vs. Linux "ping -I" - HP UX ; Hi, I have a problem with a missing feature in HP-UX ping that is present in Linux ping: Option "-i address" for HP-UX ping sets the source address only if the destination address is a braodcast address. In Linux option ...

  1. HP-UX "ping -i" vs. Linux "ping -I"

    Hi,

    I have a problem with a missing feature in HP-UX ping that is present in Linux
    ping:

    Option "-i address" for HP-UX ping sets the source address only if the
    destination address is a braodcast address.

    In Linux option "-I address" sets the source address unconditionally.

    (Both systems require the requested source address to be configured on a local
    interface)

    What I need is the Linux feature for HP-UX. Does anybody have the C source
    program that works for HP-UX. I have no idea how difficult it is to port the
    Linux sources to HP-UX.

    Thanks,
    Ulrich

  2. Re: HP-UX "ping -i" vs. Linux "ping -I"

    Ulrich Windl wrote:
    > Hi,

    > I have a problem with a missing feature in HP-UX ping that is
    > present in Linux ping:

    > Option "-i address" for HP-UX ping sets the source address only if
    > the destination address is a braodcast address.

    > In Linux option "-I address" sets the source address
    > unconditionally.

    > (Both systems require the requested source address to be configured
    > on a local interface)

    > What I need is the Linux feature for HP-UX. Does anybody have the C
    > source program that works for HP-UX. I have no idea how difficult it
    > is to port the Linux sources to HP-UX.

    While you are porting other ping programs it would be a good thing if
    you could get an ER filed through the RC. Yes, it is red tape, but
    the HP-UX ping guys won't _really_ know without it.

    rick jones
    where do you want to be today?