Q: HP-UX 11.31: OS open() hangs when ninode is exhausted? - HP UX

This is a discussion on Q: HP-UX 11.31: OS open() hangs when ninode is exhausted? - HP UX ; Hi! Today we had a situation where processes would hang if "ninode" (8192) is 100% used. I had two sed processes that just would not finish, and they could not be killed. Trying to trace them using tusc, I just ...

  1. Q: HP-UX 11.31: OS open() hangs when ninode is exhausted?

    Hi!

    Today we had a situation where processes would hang if "ninode" (8192) is 100%
    used. I had two sed processes that just would not finish, and they could not
    be killed. Trying to trace them using tusc, I just got repeated "Interrupted
    System Call" messages. Finally a "kcusage" showed that the i-node table
    suddenly got 100% used.

    Is it expected behavior that system calls hang when ninode is exhausted?

    Unfortunately kcusage is unable to show whoch processes have that many files
    open.

    Also "kctune -v ninode" leaves the impression that the parameter is only
    relevant for HFS file systems. The system in question has no HFS file system,
    only VxFS.

    Regards,
    Ulrich

  2. Re: Q: HP-UX 11.31: OS open() hangs when ninode is exhausted?

    Ulrich Windl wrote:
    > Is it expected behavior that system calls hang when ninode is exhausted?

    I don't know about hang but the system is useless until fixed.

    > Unfortunately kcusage is unable to show which processes have that many files
    > open.

    You should set maxfiles_lim(5) smaller to stop those pigs.

    > Also "kctune -v ninode" leaves the impression that the parameter is only
    > relevant for HFS file systems.
    > Ulrich

    What about nfile(5)?

  3. Re: Q: HP-UX 11.31: OS open() hangs when ninode is exhausted?

    Dennis Handly writes:

    > Ulrich Windl wrote:
    >> Is it expected behavior that system calls hang when ninode is exhausted?

    > I don't know about hang but the system is useless until fixed.
    >
    >> Unfortunately kcusage is unable to show which processes have that many files
    >> open.

    > You should set maxfiles_lim(5) smaller to stop those pigs.

    Actually no single process had that many files open (max was 77), and also the
    sum of all open files was at least one thousand less that the value
    displayed. So who opens files behind the curtain? It seems to be NFS!

    >> Also "kctune -v ninode" leaves the impression that the parameter is only
    >> relevant for HFS file systems.
    >> Ulrich

    > What about nfile(5)?

    "nfile" is set to zero. Unfortunately kcusage cannot display the value of open
    files in the system, or I don't know how.

    Regards,
    Ulrich

  4. Re: Q: HP-UX 11.31: OS open() hangs when ninode is exhausted?

    Ulrich Windl wrote:
    > "nfile" is set to zero. Unfortunately kcusage cannot display the value of open
    > files in the system, or I don't know how.

    Mine shows something reasonable:
    nfile 555 / 65536

  5. Re: Q: HP-UX 11.31: OS open() hangs when ninode is exhausted?

    Dennis Handly writes:

    > Ulrich Windl wrote:
    >> "nfile" is set to zero. Unfortunately kcusage cannot display the value of open
    >> files in the system, or I don't know how.

    > Mine shows something reasonable:
    > nfile 555 / 65536

    The September OE Release seems to produce more reasonable numbers (as far as I
    can tell from a limited experience with the latest release)

    Ulrich

+ Reply to Thread