c queue (cron queue) - HP UX

This is a discussion on c queue (cron queue) - HP UX ; We have recently started to get errors in the cron log file pointing to we are exceeding the q queue limint (/var/adm/cron/queuedefs). My question is, is there a command to see which processes are in the c queue at any ...

  1. c queue (cron queue)

    We have recently started to get errors in the cron log file pointing
    to we are exceeding the q queue limint (/var/adm/cron/queuedefs).

    My question is, is there a command to see which processes are in the c
    queue at any give moment? I didn't see an option with ps for the
    queue.

    We are not finding anytime by looking at the crontabs of a time when
    we would hit the limit. So I'm trying to find a way to see what
    processes are running that where stated by cron.

    Any suggestions?

    I know the simple solution is to increase the limit, but want to know
    what is causing the over limit as if we have a job that is hanging we
    need to fix it.

    John

  2. Re: c queue (cron queue)

    jda writes:

    > We have recently started to get errors in the cron log file pointing
    > to we are exceeding the q queue limint (/var/adm/cron/queuedefs).
    >
    > My question is, is there a command to see which processes are in the c
    > queue at any give moment? I didn't see an option with ps for the
    > queue.

    Examine /var/adm/cron/log: Every job is logged when started and when it's
    done.

    Regards,
    Ulrich
    P.S. Wasn't that obvious?

    > We are not finding anytime by looking at the crontabs of a time when
    > we would hit the limit. So I'm trying to find a way to see what
    > processes are running that where stated by cron.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > I know the simple solution is to increase the limit, but want to know
    > what is causing the over limit as if we have a job that is hanging we
    > need to fix it.
    >
    > John

  3. Re: c queue (cron queue)

    jda wrote:
    > My question is, is there a command to see which processes are in the c
    > queue at any give moment? I didn't see an option with ps for the
    > queue.

    You could find the PID from cron and then look at its children:
    $ UNIX95=1 ps -ef | grep $(UNIX95=1 ps -opid= -C cron)

  4. Re: c queue (cron queue)

    On Sep 2, 4:53*pm, Dennis Handly wrote:

    > You could find the PID from cron and then look at its children:
    > $ UNIX95=1 ps -ef | grep $(UNIX95=1 ps -opid= -C cron)

    That seems to list the active cron jobs, right now it only show 3
    running. But of course not getting the error now.

    Thanks I think this will help in tracking down what is causing the
    queue to fill all of a sudden.

    John

  5. Re: c queue (cron queue)

    The problem turned out to be the console was locked up and the cron
    jobs that write to it where hanging so within a day our queue would be
    full.

    Power cycling the console seemed to fix the problem.

    John

+ Reply to Thread