Q: mon_EMSHAprovider_state.sh - HP UX

This is a discussion on Q: mon_EMSHAprovider_state.sh - HP UX ; Hi, a question on quality of HP-UX 11.31 software: There exists at least one crontab entry per machine that runs a script named mon_EMSHAprovider_state.sh (or extremely similar) every minute. The purpose of the cronjob seems to be this: Check if ...

  1. Q: mon_EMSHAprovider_state.sh

    Hi,

    a question on quality of HP-UX 11.31 software: There exists at least one
    crontab entry per machine that runs a script named mon_EMSHAprovider_state.sh
    (or extremely similar) every minute. The purpose of the cronjob seems to be
    this: Check if some service is still running, and restart it unless it is
    running.

    Why doesn't HP try to make software that is not supposed to crash every
    minute?
    Wouldn't it make more sense to let init controll the restart of the software?
    Currently those cronjobs that do nothing at 99% of the time just fill up the
    cron log file /var/adm/cron/log with useless messages.
    Wouldn't it make more sense to start a script that periodically monitors the
    process that is expected to terminate that frequently?

    I think the purpose of having a more powerful machine is not to make it busy
    with useless tasks...

    Regards,
    Ulrich

  2. Re: Q: mon_EMSHAprovider_state.sh

    Ulrich Windl wrote:
    > a question on quality of HP-UX 11.31 software: There exists at least one
    > crontab entry per machine that runs a script named mon_EMSHAprovider_state.sh
    > (or extremely similar) every minute. The purpose of the cronjob seems to be
    > this: Check if some service is still running, and restart it unless it is
    > running.

    That's strange. cimserverd and init already do that. init restarts
    cimserverd and that restarts cimserver.

    You might want to report this mon_EMSHAprovider_state.sh issue to the
    Response Center.

+ Reply to Thread