Whatever happened to lsof on hpux - HP UX

This is a discussion on Whatever happened to lsof on hpux - HP UX ; I thought Vic Abell was porting lsof to HP-UX and it was going to be provided as part of the OS. Whatever happened to that effort? And why in the world wouldn't you ship lsof? Fuser is too lame to ...

  1. Whatever happened to lsof on hpux

    I thought Vic Abell was porting lsof to HP-UX and it was going
    to be provided as part of the OS. Whatever happened to that
    effort? And why in the world wouldn't you ship lsof? Fuser
    is too lame to be tolerated (that is, on the rare occasion
    it actually works)

    Dan Mercer

  2. Re: Whatever happened to lsof on hpux

    Dan Mercer schrieb:
    > I thought Vic Abell was porting lsof to HP-UX and it was going
    > to be provided as part of the OS. Whatever happened to that
    > effort? And why in the world wouldn't you ship lsof? Fuser
    > is too lame to be tolerated (that is, on the rare occasion
    > it actually works)

    I think it exists.
    I found older versions for older HP-UX releases
    and also somehow managed to compile it from source.
    You may inspect
    http://bio.gsi.de/DOCS/SOFTWARE/admin_utilities.html
    and look for the "lsof" entry.

  3. Re: Whatever happened to lsof on hpux

    On Aug 15, 10:08*pm, "Dan Mercer" wrote:
    > I thought Vic Abell was porting lsof to HP-UX and it was going
    > to be provided as part of the OS. *Whatever happened to that
    > effort? *And why in the world wouldn't you ship lsof? *Fuser
    > is too lame to be tolerated (that is, *on the rare occasion
    > it actually works)
    >
    > Dan Mercer

    Try looking here -

    http://h20338.www2.hp.com/hpux11i/ca...0-0-0-121.html

  4. Re: Whatever happened to lsof on hpux

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 21:08:22 -0500, "Dan Mercer"
    wrote:

    >I thought Vic Abell was porting lsof to HP-UX and it was going
    >to be provided as part of the OS. Whatever happened to that
    >effort? And why in the world wouldn't you ship lsof? Fuser
    >is too lame to be tolerated (that is, on the rare occasion
    >it actually works)
    >
    >Dan Mercer

    lsof is available as contributed software through the HP-UX Software
    Porting and Archive site/mirrors. I don't know of any plans to make it
    part of the OS distribution.

    Also, Glance adviser mode scripting may be used e.g. to list all open
    files by process. Any metric reported in glance may be added to an
    adviser mode script.

    Eric Stahl

  5. Re: Whatever happened to lsof on hpux

    "lahuman9" wrote in message
    > On Aug 15, 10:08 pm, "Dan Mercer" wrote:
    > > I thought Vic Abell was porting lsof to HP-UX and it was going
    > > to be provided as part of the OS. Whatever happened to that
    > > effort? And why in the world wouldn't you ship lsof? Fuser
    > > is too lame to be tolerated (that is, on the rare occasion
    > > it actually works)
    > >
    > > Dan Mercer

    > Try looking here -
    >
    > http://h20338.www2.hp.com/hpux11i/ca...0-0-0-121.html

    lsof is available (and supported) from HP as part of their Internet Express
    bundle. You should have this on a CD/DVD as part of your normal updates, but
    it can also be downloaded from the Software Depot

    http://www.hp.come/go/softwaredepot

    and search for lsof

    It is *not* installed by default.

+ Reply to Thread