clone hard disk over the network - HP UX

This is a discussion on clone hard disk over the network - HP UX ; What is the best way to clone a hard disk over the network? Is this idea feasible? If yes, then what is the command or program to do that? Boot the computer to "rescue" mode, then mount a network disk ...

  1. clone hard disk over the network

    What is the best way to clone a hard disk over the network?
    Is this idea feasible? If yes, then what is the command or program to
    do that?
    Boot the computer to "rescue" mode, then mount a network disk with
    NFS, then run a command or program to clone a hard disk over the
    network.
    My computer is:
    HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64

  2. Re: clone hard disk over the network

    In article ,
    TsanChung writes:
    > What is the best way to clone a hard disk over the network?
    > Is this idea feasible? If yes, then what is the command or program to
    > do that?
    > Boot the computer to "rescue" mode, then mount a network disk with
    > NFS, then run a command or program to clone a hard disk over the
    > network.
    > My computer is:
    > HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64

    Hello TsanChung,

    I have used "rsync" (available from hpux.cs.utah.edu) with success.
    /usr/local/bin/rsync -avz --delete remotehost:/mountpoint/ /mountpoint

    Also Ignite-UX from an Ignite-Server for root disks.

    Yours, Hans Schwengeler

  3. Re: clone hard disk over the network

    TsanChung writes:

    > What is the best way to clone a hard disk over the network?
    > Is this idea feasible? If yes, then what is the command or program to
    > do that?

    Do you really want to clone a disk, or do you want to clone a filesystem? In
    both cases, there should be no updates on the source while the copy is in
    progress, because otherwise your copy is more or less worthless.

    Regards,
    Ulrich

    > Boot the computer to "rescue" mode, then mount a network disk with
    > NFS, then run a command or program to clone a hard disk over the
    > network.
    > My computer is:
    > HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64

  4. Re: clone hard disk over the network

    On Aug 18, 5:12*am, Ulrich Windl
    wrote:
    > TsanChung writes:
    > > What is the best way toclonea harddiskover the network?
    > > Is this idea feasible? *If yes, then what is the command or program to
    > > do that?

    > Do you really want tocloneadisk, or do you want toclonea filesystem? *In
    > both cases, there should be no updates on the source while the copy is in
    > progress, because otherwise your copy is more or less worthless.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ulrich
    >
    > > Boot the computer to "rescue" mode, then mount a networkdiskwith
    > > NFS, then run a command or program toclonea harddiskover the
    > > network.
    > > My computer is:
    > >HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64

    I want to clone so that when there is any disk error on my current
    disk, I can restore the cloned disk image to a new disk. Is that
    clone a filesystem?

  5. Re: clone hard disk over the network

    On Sep 3, 9:41*am, TsanChung wrote:
    > On Aug 18, 5:12*am, Ulrich Windl
    > wrote:
    >

    > > TsanChung writes:
    > > > What is the best way toclonea harddiskover the network?
    > > > Is this idea feasible? *If yes, then what is the command or programto
    > > > do that?

    > > Do you really want tocloneadisk, or do you want toclonea filesystem? *In
    > > both cases, there should be no updates on the source while the copy is in
    > > progress, because otherwise your copy is more or less worthless.

    > > Regards,
    > > Ulrich

    > > > Boot the computer to "rescue" mode, then mount a networkdiskwith
    > > > NFS, then run a command or program toclonea harddiskover the
    > > > network.
    > > > My computer is:
    > > >HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64

    > I want to clone so that when there is any disk error on my current
    > disk, I can restore the cloned disk image to a new disk. * Is that
    > clone a filesystem?

    TsanChung,

    I'm a bit confused by the question - what type of networking are you
    trying to involve - SAN? Ethernet? Are you talking block-level
    storage? What type of data - system data? Database filesystems? How
    much expense can be considered?

    We could take a number of paths depending on the particulars of what
    you are attempting to accomplish... from RAID to iSCSI mirroring to
    NFS snapshots to business continuance.

    More details may prove helpful!

    Cheers,

    Joe Ferraro