HP-UX 11.31: extreme performance problem on single-CPU rx2620 - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP-UX 11.31: extreme performance problem on single-CPU rx2620 - HP UX ; Hello, when logging in to a single-CPU rx2620, it took about one minute, and just starting "top" took several minutes. Interestingly the load is below "0.1", and the CPU is 99% idle, and over 100MB RAM are free (says top ...

  1. HP-UX 11.31: extreme performance problem on single-CPU rx2620

    Hello,

    when logging in to a single-CPU rx2620, it took about one minute, and just
    starting "top" took several minutes.
    Interestingly the load is below "0.1", and the CPU is 99% idle, and over 100MB
    RAM are free (says top when eventually running). However top also says "55
    (processes) running". That puzzles me: Shouldn't the load be around 55 then?

    Which also brings up the question: Is there any HP-UX command to display
    threads?

    About the performance: Before I started to write this article, I had pressed
    "q" in top, but it is still not terminated (after over 8 minutes!)

    Out top-three theories about the reasons are (the machine had no problems
    before):
    1) HP-UX 11.31
    2) NFSv4 (which is not in much use at the moment)
    3) threads & java (as used in SAP)

    Personally I suspect a kernel problem with single CPU-systems.

    Where should I look for the problem?

    Regards,
    Ulrich

  2. Re: HP-UX 11.31: extreme performance problem on single-CPU rx2620

    Ulrich Windl a écrit :

    > Personally I suspect a kernel problem with single CPU-systems.

    Probably not.
    I will suspect first shortage of memory.
    Check ram utilization with swapinfo -tam and gpm (memory report).
    100MB free is not a lot except if remaining free is used by disk cache.

  3. Re: HP-UX 11.31: extreme performance problem on single-CPU rx2620

    Alain writes:

    > Ulrich Windl a écrit :
    >
    >> Personally I suspect a kernel problem with single CPU-systems.

    > Probably not.
    > I will suspect first shortage of memory.
    > Check ram utilization with swapinfo -tam and gpm (memory report).
    > 100MB free is not a lot except if remaining free is used by disk cache.

    So with 180 MB free memory (and a few GB in file cache) HP-UX is no able to
    redraw the top screen within 6 minutes while displaying the CPU is 100% idle,
    and the load is 0.05?
    Swap had a few GB available, BTW.

    Regards,
    Ulrich