Q: "Zombie" thread using CPU? - HP UX

This is a discussion on Q: "Zombie" thread using CPU? - HP UX ; Hi, hen examining the slowness of one of out HP-UX 11.31 machines with "crashinfo", a zombie cimprovagt thread was amoung the top-ten theads using CPU. While the load was around 30, the zombie thread was using 2.8% CPU. I always ...

  1. Q: "Zombie" thread using CPU?

    Hi,

    hen examining the slowness of one of out HP-UX 11.31 machines with
    "crashinfo", a zombie cimprovagt thread was amoung the top-ten theads using
    CPU. While the load was around 30, the zombie thread was using 2.8% CPU. I
    always thought zombie threads take no CPU at all...

    (That would fit nicely into the pricture with the rds Process of Data
    Protector 6.0 is constantly using 28% of CPU on a 8-CPU machine while doing
    nothing)

    Regards,
    Ulrich

  2. Re: Q: "Zombie" thread using CPU?

    Ulrich Windl writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > hen examining the slowness of one of out HP-UX 11.31 machines with
    > "crashinfo", a zombie cimprovagt thread was amoung the top-ten theads using
    > CPU. While the load was around 30, the zombie thread was using 2.8% CPU. I
    > always thought zombie threads take no CPU at all...

    Maybe let me clarify: The load of >30 was not caused by cimprocagt, but while
    looking for a reason, I wondered about the issue.

    Specifically we had the state that 0.2% of the CPU had been assigned to the
    users, while 99.8% were assigned to "sys". I wondered whether that means a
    poor implementation of NFSv4 async I/O. Meanwhile we've upgraded ONCplus to
    the lastest revision, but we also moved away the jobs that caused the load, so
    I'm still wondering...

    Regards,
    Ulrich

    > (That would fit nicely into the pricture with the rds Process of Data
    > Protector 6.0 is constantly using 28% of CPU on a 8-CPU machine while doing
    > nothing)
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ulrich

  3. Re: Q: "Zombie" thread using CPU?

    Ulrich Windl wrote:
    >> when examining the slowness of one of out HP-UX 11.31 machines with
    >> "crashinfo", a zombie cimprovagt thread was amoung the top-ten threads using
    >> CPU. While the load was around 30, the zombie thread was using 2.8% CPU. I
    >> always thought zombie threads take no CPU at all...

    They don't take up CPU. I would blame top.

    > Maybe let me clarify: The load of >30 was not caused by cimprocagt

    Good, all is right in the world. :-)

+ Reply to Thread