Q: HP ISEE: alarms by mistake anyone else? - HP UX

This is a discussion on Q: HP ISEE: alarms by mistake anyone else? - HP UX ; Hi, three systems (EVA, HP-UX 11.11, HP-UX 11.31) reported two problems each for last night. The systems reported a power failure. However we had no power failure! Unfortunately both systems reported a failure at about the same time, and again ...

  1. Q: HP ISEE: alarms by mistake anyone else?

    Hi,

    three systems (EVA, HP-UX 11.11, HP-UX 11.31) reported two problems each for
    last night. The systems reported a power failure. However we had no power
    failure! Unfortunately both systems reported a failure at about the same time,
    and again a few hour later. Actually we had a power failure 10 days or so ago,
    but at a completely different time (not just the day).

    I wonder what that is: Does the Java processing in ISEE take so many days to
    complete, or is the HP receiving site mostly down (and unable to put the
    correct data into the events)?

    I never was happy with the information ISEE sent out per mail; it seems HP
    received more info via ISEE than I did.

    Does anybody else have similar experience?

    Regards,
    Ulrich

  2. Re: HP ISEE: alarms by mistake anyone else?

    "Ulrich Windl" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > three systems (EVA, HP-UX 11.11, HP-UX 11.31) reported two problems each
    > for
    > last night. The systems reported a power failure. However we had no power
    > failure! Unfortunately both systems reported a failure at about the same
    > time,
    > and again a few hour later. Actually we had a power failure 10 days or so
    > ago,
    > but at a completely different time (not just the day).
    >
    > I wonder what that is: Does the Java processing in ISEE take so many days
    > complete, or is the HP receiving site mostly down (and unable to put the
    > correct data into the events)?
    >
    > I never was happy with the information ISEE sent out per mail; it seems HP
    > received more info via ISEE than I did.
    >
    > Does anybody else have similar experience?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ulrich

    Nothing similar to your case. What does EMS say about power failure? I am
    not aware of such long problem with ISEE backend.
    What kind of mail did you receive from ISEE? I am not receiving such mails.
    Usualy, I recive mails, but from some kind of incident mgmt and not from
    ISEE itself.
    I could agree that these mails are not very informational.

    Regards,
    Mario.

  3. Re: HP ISEE: alarms by mistake anyone else?

    "Mario" writes:

    > "Ulrich Windl" wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> three systems (EVA, HP-UX 11.11, HP-UX 11.31) reported two problems each
    >> for
    >> last night. The systems reported a power failure. However we had no power
    >> failure! Unfortunately both systems reported a failure at about the same
    >> time,
    >> and again a few hour later. Actually we had a power failure 10 days or so
    >> ago,
    >> but at a completely different time (not just the day).
    >>
    >> I wonder what that is: Does the Java processing in ISEE take so many days
    >> complete, or is the HP receiving site mostly down (and unable to put the
    >> correct data into the events)?
    >>
    >> I never was happy with the information ISEE sent out per mail; it seems HP
    >> received more info via ISEE than I did.
    >>
    >> Does anybody else have similar experience?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Ulrich

    > Nothing similar to your case. What does EMS say about power failure? I am
    > not aware of such long problem with ISEE backend.

    That's exactly the point: The management processor (and EMS) know nothing
    about a power failure at the time when ISEE had reported it. So I guess that
    something odd at HP happened. We had that before: Within one day hundreds of
    old events were re-sent. We had told HP about it, but I'm unsure if anything
    had happened.

    > What kind of mail did you receive from ISEE? I am not receiving such mails.
    > Usualy, I recive mails, but from some kind of incident mgmt and not from
    > ISEE itself.

    It depends on what you have configured as "notification". In any case, the
    host doesn't send the messages directly to you, but HP sends them back to
    you. That's why I can do little against it.

    Regards,
    Ulrich

    > I could agree that these mails are not very informational.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Mario.

  4. Re: HP ISEE: alarms by mistake anyone else?

    Hi!

    Today I had another few re-sends from HP for events that had been closed
    already on 8th of July or so. Maybe it's good that ISEE is replaced (says
    another mail message from HP). I'm just wondering if the quality will
    increase.

    Quality would be best if HP would develop AND maintain one product instead of
    buying products from here and there without maintenance...

    Regards,
    Ulrich

    Ulrich Windl writes:

    > "Mario" writes:
    >
    >> "Ulrich Windl" wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> three systems (EVA, HP-UX 11.11, HP-UX 11.31) reported two problems each
    >>> for
    >>> last night. The systems reported a power failure. However we had no power
    >>> failure! Unfortunately both systems reported a failure at about the same
    >>> time,
    >>> and again a few hour later. Actually we had a power failure 10 days or so
    >>> ago,
    >>> but at a completely different time (not just the day).
    >>>
    >>> I wonder what that is: Does the Java processing in ISEE take so many days
    >>> complete, or is the HP receiving site mostly down (and unable to put the
    >>> correct data into the events)?
    >>>
    >>> I never was happy with the information ISEE sent out per mail; it seems HP
    >>> received more info via ISEE than I did.
    >>>
    >>> Does anybody else have similar experience?
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Ulrich

    >> Nothing similar to your case. What does EMS say about power failure? I am
    >> not aware of such long problem with ISEE backend.

    > That's exactly the point: The management processor (and EMS) know nothing
    > about a power failure at the time when ISEE had reported it. So I guess that
    > something odd at HP happened. We had that before: Within one day hundreds of
    > old events were re-sent. We had told HP about it, but I'm unsure if anything
    > had happened.
    >
    >> What kind of mail did you receive from ISEE? I am not receiving such mails.
    >> Usualy, I recive mails, but from some kind of incident mgmt and not from
    >> ISEE itself.

    > It depends on what you have configured as "notification". In any case, the
    > host doesn't send the messages directly to you, but HP sends them back to
    > you. That's why I can do little against it.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ulrich
    >

    >> I could agree that these mails are not very informational.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Mario.

  5. Re: HP ISEE: alarms by mistake anyone else?

    In article <87k5f28mf0.fsf@pc9454.klinik.uni-regensburg.de>, Ulrich Windl
    writes:

    > Quality would be best if HP would develop AND maintain one product instead of
    > buying products from here and there without maintenance...

    But this would not conform to the new HP way of Ms Fiorina
    as I understand it:
    Let the others (especially M$ and intel) do R&D,
    we are just moving boxes.

+ Reply to Thread