Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used - HP UX

This is a discussion on Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used - HP UX ; I am not sure where to post this. I am trying to locate in the U.S. a used working B132L with at minimum 64MB RAM (prefer 128MB) prefer a ST-32151N SCSI-2 Narrow (50 pin) drive (2.1gb) or equal and a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used

  1. Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used

    I am not sure where to post this.

    I am trying to locate in the U.S. a used working B132L with at minimum
    64MB RAM (prefer 128MB) prefer a ST-32151N SCSI-2 Narrow (50 pin)
    drive (2.1gb) or equal and a SCSI CR-Rom drive. Graphics card not
    required using RS-232 as console port. Would also like the stand.

    The system should be fully compatible with HP/UX 10.20.

    I am using another as a WEB server and am trying to locate a working
    spare.

    Yes, I know the B132L and HP/UX 10.20 are the long forgotten children.

    Any information would be appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used

    bcopanel-ggroup@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I am trying to locate in the U.S. a used working B132L with at
    > minimum 64MB RAM (prefer 128MB) prefer a ST-32151N SCSI-2 Narrow (50
    > pin) drive (2.1gb) or equal and a SCSI CR-Rom drive. Graphics card
    > not required using RS-232 as console port. Would also like the
    > stand.


    Would you like fries with that?-)

    > The system should be fully compatible with HP/UX 10.20.


    I'll pick the nit - it is HP-UX, not HP/UX:

    $ uname -a
    HP-UX tardy B.11.11 U 9000/785 2002119164 unlimited-user license

    > I am using another as a WEB server and am trying to locate a working
    > spare.


    > Yes, I know the B132L and HP/UX 10.20 are the long forgotten
    > children.


    You might consider expanding your search to the B180L as the
    components are, IIRC, interchangable between the two and they are the
    same physical size. I have a "server" which happens to be a B180L,
    perhaps I should upgrade it one of these days...

    I do recall there were some differences - at the time of the B180L the
    B132L was "upgraded" to the B132L+ with a core 10/100 network
    interface rather than the core 10 Mbit/s interface of the B132L and
    B160L (which is also the same size). That new core network interface
    required the btlan3 driver rather than the lan2 driver. So, I suppose
    there could be an issue with your existing 10.20 boot disc if it
    doesn't have btlan3 in it and you wanted to move it over to a "+" or a
    B180L... Of course some folks forget to mention the "+" so you may
    already have a B132L+... I'm not sure if/how it would appear in the
    output of the "model" command...

    rick jones
    --
    The computing industry isn't as much a game of "Follow The Leader" as
    it is one of "Ring Around the Rosy" or perhaps "Duck Duck Goose."
    - Rick Jones
    these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

  3. Re: Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used

    On Jul 7, 4:56*pm, Rick Jones wrote:
    > bcopanel-ggr...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > I am trying to locate in the U.S. a used working B132L with at
    > > minimum 64MB RAM (prefer 128MB) prefer a ST-32151N SCSI-2 Narrow (50
    > > pin) drive (2.1gb) or equal and a SCSI CR-Rom drive. *Graphics card
    > > not required using RS-232 as console port. *Would also like the
    > > stand.

    >
    > Would you like fries with that?-)
    >
    > > The system should be fully compatible with HP/UX 10.20.

    >
    > I'll pick the nit - it is HP-UX, not HP/UX:
    >
    > $ uname -a
    > HP-UX tardy B.11.11 U 9000/785 2002119164 unlimited-user license
    >
    > > I am using another as a WEB server and am trying to locate a working
    > > spare.
    > > Yes, I know the B132L and HP/UX 10.20 are the long forgotten
    > > children.

    >
    > You might consider expanding your search to the B180L as the
    > components are, IIRC, interchangable between the two and they are the
    > same physical size. *I have a "server" which happens to be a B180L,
    > perhaps I should upgrade it one of these days...
    >
    > I do recall there were some differences - at the time of the B180L the
    > B132L was "upgraded" to the B132L+ with a core 10/100 network
    > interface rather than the core 10 Mbit/s interface of the B132L and
    > B160L (which is also the same size). *That new core network interface
    > required the btlan3 driver rather than the lan2 driver. *So, I suppose
    > there could be an issue with your existing 10.20 boot disc if it
    > doesn't have btlan3 in it and you wanted to move it over to a "+" or a
    > B180L... *Of course some folks forget to mention the "+" so you may
    > already have a B132L+... *I'm not sure if/how it would appear in the
    > output of the "model" command...
    >
    > rick jones
    > --
    > The computing industry isn't as much a game of "Follow The Leader" as
    > it is one of "Ring Around the Rosy" or perhaps "Duck Duck Goose."
    > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * - Rick Jones
    > these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    > feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...


    The reason I wrote out the description the way I did was to be as
    complete
    as possible. Knowing with the 2GB narrow SCSI drive it would fit on
    my old
    DAT drive with 90M tapes without an issue using the HP Support Plus CD
    and the 'copyutil' contained therein.

    No thanks with regards to "Would you like fries with that?-) ". I'm on
    a low
    carb. diet. ;-}

    Sorry I always use HP/UX knowing it should be HP-UX.

    The case is labeled B132L. How can I tell if it is a B132L+? At boot
    time? With the Support Plus CD? "Model" command??

    Can a B180L install from the same core HP-UX CD as a B132L?

    Would the same codewords I have for the B132L work with the B180L?

    If I would need it is the 'btlan3' driver available anywhere for HP-UX
    10.20?

    I've done so searching in the mean time on the net and have not found
    and B132L machines yet saving one for about $800 which I think is too
    high.

    Thanks,
    -Ken

  4. Re: Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used

    On Jul 7, 4:56*pm, Rick Jones wrote:
    > bcopanel-ggr...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > I am trying to locate in the U.S. a used working B132L with at
    > > minimum 64MB RAM (prefer 128MB) prefer a ST-32151N SCSI-2 Narrow (50
    > > pin) drive (2.1gb) or equal and a SCSI CR-Rom drive. *Graphics card
    > > not required using RS-232 as console port. *Would also like the
    > > stand.

    >
    > Would you like fries with that?-)
    >
    > > The system should be fully compatible with HP/UX 10.20.

    >
    > I'll pick the nit - it is HP-UX, not HP/UX:
    >
    > $ uname -a
    > HP-UX tardy B.11.11 U 9000/785 2002119164 unlimited-user license
    >
    > > I am using another as a WEB server and am trying to locate a working
    > > spare.
    > > Yes, I know the B132L and HP/UX 10.20 are the long forgotten
    > > children.

    >
    > You might consider expanding your search to the B180L as the
    > components are, IIRC, interchangable between the two and they are the
    > same physical size. *I have a "server" which happens to be a B180L,
    > perhaps I should upgrade it one of these days...
    >
    > I do recall there were some differences - at the time of the B180L the
    > B132L was "upgraded" to the B132L+ with a core 10/100 network
    > interface rather than the core 10 Mbit/s interface of the B132L and
    > B160L (which is also the same size). *That new core network interface
    > required the btlan3 driver rather than the lan2 driver. *So, I suppose
    > there could be an issue with your existing 10.20 boot disc if it
    > doesn't have btlan3 in it and you wanted to move it over to a "+" or a
    > B180L... *Of course some folks forget to mention the "+" so you may
    > already have a B132L+... *I'm not sure if/how it would appear in the
    > output of the "model" command...
    >
    > rick jones
    > --
    > The computing industry isn't as much a game of "Follow The Leader" as
    > it is one of "Ring Around the Rosy" or perhaps "Duck Duck Goose."
    > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * - Rick Jones
    > these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    > feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...


    Rick,

    Sorry for the long description. I just didn't want to leave any loose
    ends :-}

    It's those 'loose ends' get will get you.

    How do I tell if I have a B132L or B132L+. The pull out tag says
    A4190A.

    If I were to go down the road of a B180L (or B160L) can I use the same
    HP
    install CD's? Use the same codewords as used on the B132L?

    I have seen a few B160L and B180L and B132L+ however some have F/W
    SCSI
    and some don't say what's inside. In fact I'm not even sure of what a
    fair price is.

    Is the btlan3 driver available anywhere on ther net and couldn't that
    be added
    after the system is built?

    I'll pass on the "fries" I'm on a diet. ;-/

    Sorry for the HP/UX vs. HP-UX thing I always do that.

    I'm new on this usenet thing and am not sure how to add to my post???

    -Ken

  5. Re: Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used

    On Jul 7, 3:38*pm, bcopanel-ggr...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I am not sure where to post this.
    >
    > I am trying to locate in the U.S. a used working B132L with at minimum
    > 64MB RAM (prefer 128MB) prefer a ST-32151N SCSI-2 Narrow (50 pin)
    > drive (2.1gb) or equal and a SCSI CR-Rom drive. *Graphics card not
    > required using RS-232 as console port. *Would also like the stand.
    >
    > The system should be fully compatible with HP/UX 10.20.
    >
    > I am using another as a WEB server and am trying to locate a working
    > spare.
    >
    > Yes, I know the B132L and HP/UX 10.20 are the long forgotten children.
    >
    > Any information would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks


    test reply

  6. Re: Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used

    bcopanel-ggroup@yahoo.com wrote:
    > How do I tell if I have a B132L or B132L+. The pull out tag says
    > A4190A.


    As I cannot recall the specific product numbers (perhaps
    partsurfer.hp.com still does) the way I would do it wold be to check
    the output of ioscan to see what driver was driving the core LAN
    interface. If there was no OS, then I suppose I could try as late a
    10.20 set I could find, or perhaps even some parisc-linux bits long
    enough to run an lspci command to see what the core NIC was.

    > If I were to go down the road of a B180L (or B160L) can I use the
    > same HP install CD's? Use the same codewords as used on the B132L?


    Being internal, I never had to use codewords so I'm afraid I cannot
    answer that

    > I have seen a few B160L and B180L and B132L+ however some have F/W
    > SCSI and some don't say what's inside.


    I suspect that "F/W SCSI" is actually FWD or what folks today call HVD
    (IIRC) SCSI. "Back then" HP folks didn't think there would be much in
    the way of fast, wide, single-ended external stuff, so didn't add the
    "D" to F/W...

    > In fact I'm not even sure of what a fair price is.


    Got me there.

    > Is the btlan3 driver available anywhere on ther net and couldn't
    > that be added after the system is built?


    It went "core OS" somewhere in one of the 10.20 ACE releases, and then
    in 11.0. It was part of the great btlan[3456] to btlan merge in 11.11.

    > I'm new on this usenet thing and am not sure how to add to my
    > post???


    Typically it is done with followup postings on the same thread.

    rick jones
    --
    No need to believe in either side, or any side. There is no cause.
    There's only yourself. The belief is in your own precision. - Jobert
    these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

  7. Re: Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used

    On Jul 7, 4:56*pm, Rick Jones wrote:
    > bcopanel-ggr...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > I am trying to locate in the U.S. a used working B132L with at
    > > minimum 64MB RAM (prefer 128MB) prefer a ST-32151N SCSI-2 Narrow (50
    > > pin) drive (2.1gb) or equal and a SCSI CR-Rom drive. *Graphics card
    > > not required using RS-232 as console port. *Would also like the
    > > stand.

    >
    > Would you like fries with that?-)
    >
    > > The system should be fully compatible with HP/UX 10.20.

    >
    > I'll pick the nit - it is HP-UX, not HP/UX:
    >
    > $ uname -a
    > HP-UX tardy B.11.11 U 9000/785 2002119164 unlimited-user license
    >
    > > I am using another as a WEB server and am trying to locate a working
    > > spare.
    > > Yes, I know the B132L and HP/UX 10.20 are the long forgotten
    > > children.

    >
    > You might consider expanding your search to the B180L as the
    > components are, IIRC, interchangable between the two and they are the
    > same physical size. *I have a "server" which happens to be a B180L,
    > perhaps I should upgrade it one of these days...
    >
    > I do recall there were some differences - at the time of the B180L the
    > B132L was "upgraded" to the B132L+ with a core 10/100 network
    > interface rather than the core 10 Mbit/s interface of the B132L and
    > B160L (which is also the same size). *That new core network interface
    > required the btlan3 driver rather than the lan2 driver. *So, I suppose
    > there could be an issue with your existing 10.20 boot disc if it
    > doesn't have btlan3 in it and you wanted to move it over to a "+" or a
    > B180L... *Of course some folks forget to mention the "+" so you may
    > already have a B132L+... *I'm not sure if/how it would appear in the
    > output of the "model" command...
    >
    > rick jones
    > --
    > The computing industry isn't as much a game of "Follow The Leader" as
    > it is one of "Ring Around the Rosy" or perhaps "Duck Duck Goose."
    > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * - Rick Jones
    > these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    > feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...


    Sorry for the long description. I just didn't want to leave any loose
    ends :-}

    It's those 'loose ends' get will get you.

    How do I tell if I have a B132L or B132L+. The pull out tag says
    A4190A.

    If I were to go down the road of a B180L (or B160L) can I use the same
    HP
    install CD's? Use the same codewords as used on the B132L?

    I have seen a few B160L and B180L and B132L+ however some have F/W
    SCSI
    and some don't say what's inside. In fact I'm not even sure of what a
    fair price is.

    Is the btlan3 driver available anywhere on ther net and couldn't that
    be added
    after the system is built?

    I'll pass on the "fries" I'm on a diet. ;-/

    Sorry for the HP/UX vs. HP-UX thing I always do that.

  8. Re: Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used

    On Jul 7, 4:56*pm, Rick Jones wrote:
    > bcopanel-ggr...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > I am trying to locate in the U.S. a used working B132L with at
    > > minimum 64MB RAM (prefer 128MB) prefer a ST-32151N SCSI-2 Narrow (50
    > > pin) drive (2.1gb) or equal and a SCSI CR-Rom drive. *Graphics card
    > > not required using RS-232 as console port. *Would also like the
    > > stand.

    >
    > Would you like fries with that?-)
    >
    > > The system should be fully compatible with HP/UX 10.20.

    >
    > I'll pick the nit - it is HP-UX, not HP/UX:
    >
    > $ uname -a
    > HP-UX tardy B.11.11 U 9000/785 2002119164 unlimited-user license
    >
    > > I am using another as a WEB server and am trying to locate a working
    > > spare.
    > > Yes, I know the B132L and HP/UX 10.20 are the long forgotten
    > > children.

    >
    > You might consider expanding your search to the B180L as the
    > components are, IIRC, interchangable between the two and they are the
    > same physical size. *I have a "server" which happens to be a B180L,
    > perhaps I should upgrade it one of these days...
    >
    > I do recall there were some differences - at the time of the B180L the
    > B132L was "upgraded" to the B132L+ with a core 10/100 network
    > interface rather than the core 10 Mbit/s interface of the B132L and
    > B160L (which is also the same size). *That new core network interface
    > required the btlan3 driver rather than the lan2 driver. *So, I suppose
    > there could be an issue with your existing 10.20 boot disc if it
    > doesn't have btlan3 in it and you wanted to move it over to a "+" or a
    > B180L... *Of course some folks forget to mention the "+" so you may
    > already have a B132L+... *I'm not sure if/how it would appear in the
    > output of the "model" command...
    >
    > rick jones
    > --
    > The computing industry isn't as much a game of "Follow The Leader" as
    > it is one of "Ring Around the Rosy" or perhaps "Duck Duck Goose."
    > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * - Rick Jones
    > these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    > feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...



    Sorry for the long description. I just didn't want to leave any loose
    ends :-}

    It's those 'loose ends' get will get you.

    How do I tell if I have a B132L or B132L+. The pull out tag says
    A4190A.

    If I were to go down the road of a B180L (or B160L) can I use the same
    HP
    install CD's? Use the same codewords as used on the B132L?

    I have seen a few B160L and B180L and B132L+ however some have F/W
    SCSI
    and some don't say what's inside. In fact I'm not even sure of what a
    fair price is.

    Is the btlan3 driver available anywhere on ther net and couldn't that
    be added
    after the system is built?

    I'll pass on the "fries" I'm on a diet. ;-/

    Sorry for the HP/UX vs. HP-UX thing I always do that.

  9. Re: Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used

    bcopanel-ggroup@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Would the same codewords I have for the B132L work with the B180L?


    I seriously doubt it. I think codewords are specific to a machine.

  10. Re: Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used

    On Jul 8, 1:24*pm, Rick Jones wrote:
    > bcopanel-ggr...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > How do I tell if I have a B132L or B132L+. *The pull out tag says
    > > A4190A.

    >
    > As I cannot recall the specific product numbers (perhaps
    > partsurfer.hp.com still does) the way I would do it wold be to check
    > the output of ioscan to see what driver was driving the core LAN
    > interface. *If there was no OS, then I suppose I could try as late a
    > 10.20 set I could find, or perhaps even some parisc-linux bits long
    > enough to run an lspci command to see what the core NIC was.
    >
    > > If I were to go down the road of a B180L (or B160L) can I use the
    > > same HP install CD's? *Use the same codewords as used on the B132L?

    >
    > Being internal, I never had to use codewords so I'm afraid I cannot
    > answer that
    >
    > > I have seen a few B160L and B180L and B132L+ however some have F/W
    > > SCSI and some don't say what's inside.

    >
    > I suspect that "F/W SCSI" is actually FWD or what folks today call HVD
    > (IIRC) SCSI. *"Back then" HP folks didn't think there would be much in
    > the way of fast, wide, single-ended external stuff, so didn't add the
    > "D" to F/W...
    >
    > > In fact I'm not even sure of what a fair price is.

    >
    > Got me there.
    >
    > > Is the btlan3 driver available anywhere on ther net and couldn't
    > > that be added after the system is built?

    >
    > It went "core OS" somewhere in one of the 10.20 ACE releases, and then
    > in 11.0. *It was part of the great btlan[3456] to btlan merge in 11.11.
    >
    > > I'm new on this usenet thing and am not sure how to add to my
    > > post???

    >
    > Typically it is done with followup postings on the same thread.
    >
    > rick jones
    > --
    > No need to believe in either side, or any side. There is no cause.
    > There's only yourself. The belief is in your own precision. *- Jobert
    > these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    > feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...


    Rick,

    Thanks for the info. I will try the commands you listed, ioscan and
    lspci
    and get back to you.

    Regarding the btlan3 driver the latest CD's I could find are 5012-7929
    Support Plus 10.20 June 2001 and Kit 5064-1134 10.20 Sept 2001.

    Do you think the new lan drivers would be on one of those? I've
    installed patches before on D class servers and B class workstations
    but never installed drivers.

    In a previous post you mentioned looking into a B180L. If available
    would a B160L be a good alternative?

    Thanks,
    Ken




  11. Re: Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used

    Ken_Old_Unix_Guy wrote:
    > Regarding the btlan3 driver the latest CD's I could find are
    > 5012-7929 Support Plus 10.20 June 2001 and Kit 5064-1134 10.20 Sept
    > 2001.


    > Do you think the new lan drivers would be on one of those? I've
    > installed patches before on D class servers and B class workstations
    > but never installed drivers.


    My dimm memory doesn't work well that far back.

    > In a previous post you mentioned looking into a B180L. If available
    > would a B160L be a good alternative?


    From a horsepower point of view it would be a fine alternative to a
    B132L. The only drawback I could see _might_ be the 10 Mbit/s only
    core NIC. You could always add a btlan5 driven add-on PCI 10/100
    interface if that were an issue.

    rick jones
    --
    oxymoron n, Hummer H2 with California Save Our Coasts and Oceans plates
    these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

  12. Re: Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used

    On Jul 9, 1:40*am, Dennis Handly wrote:
    > bcopanel-ggr...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > Would the same codewords I have for the B132L work with the B180L?

    >
    > I seriously doubt it. *I think codewords are specific to a machine.


    Dennis,

    I kind of figured something along those lines had to be in place.

    Well for messing around and not having a lot of extra $$ a B132L that
    can run 10.20 should do fine as a spare. Sitting behind a router/fire
    wall I
    think it will do just fine. The B132L with 10.20 and the applied
    patches
    seems like a very stable machine.

    Thanks,
    Ken

  13. Re: Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used

    On Jul 9, 1:52*pm, Rick Jones wrote:
    > Ken_Old_Unix_Guy wrote:
    > > Regarding the btlan3 driver the latest CD's I could find are
    > > 5012-7929 Support Plus 10.20 June 2001 and Kit 5064-1134 10.20 Sept
    > > 2001.
    > > Do you think the new lan drivers would be on one of those? *I've
    > > installed patches before on D class servers and B class workstations
    > > but never installed drivers.

    >
    > My dimm memory doesn't work well that far back.
    >
    > > In a previous post you mentioned looking into a B180L. *If available
    > > would a B160L be a good alternative?

    >
    > From a horsepower point of view it would be a fine alternative to a
    > B132L. *The only drawback I could see _might_ be the 10 Mbit/s only
    > core NIC. *You could always add a btlan5 driven add-on PCI 10/100
    > interface if that were an issue.
    >
    > rick jones
    > --
    > oxymoron n, Hummer H2 with California Save Our Coasts and Oceans plates
    > these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    > feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...


    Rick,

    It turns out the A4190A is a B132L..

    Not wanting to risk my 10.20 not loading w/codewords on a different
    platform
    like a B160L or a B180L I guess my search continues for a B132L with
    the
    aforementioned hardware configuration and "fries" :-)

    Thanks,
    Ken


  14. Re: Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used

    On Jul 9, 4:37*pm, Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > * Ken_Old_Unix_Guy:
    >
    > > Not wanting to risk my 10.20 not loading w/codewords on a different
    > > platform

    >
    > If your codewords don't load on a B160L or B180L+ then they won't load
    > on another B132L, too. IIRC they were machine-specific (ie. specific to
    > a certain system serial number) and not model-specific.
    >
    > > like a B160L or a B180L I guess my search continues for a B132L with
    > > the
    > > aforementioned hardware configuration and "fries" :-)

    >
    > If possible I'd check if some of the programs you use which are code
    > locked aren't available unlocked with later HP-UX versions (some stuff
    > that was locked on older HP-UX releases was unlocked in later releases).
    > B1000/B2000/C3xx0 machines are dirt cheap today, way faster, and make
    > very good servers.
    >
    > Benjamin


    Benjamin,

    I had another B132L before that bit the dust big time. Got another
    B132L
    and from memory I think I had no problems enabling the codewords.

    I don't have a B160L or B180L to do an experiment with.

    I already have a few spare parts like a couple of hard drives
    (ST-32151n),
    (64MB) memory, (Original slow) CD-Rom and power supply. That's why
    I am trying to find an equal piece of hardware.

    If I went down the road of getting a B1000 or B2000 how much would it
    cost to purchase HP-UX?

    Thanks,
    Ken


  15. Re: Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used

    On Jul 9, 1:52*pm, Rick Jones wrote:
    > Ken_Old_Unix_Guy wrote:
    > > Regarding the btlan3 driver the latest CD's I could find are
    > > 5012-7929 Support Plus 10.20 June 2001 and Kit 5064-1134 10.20 Sept
    > > 2001.
    > > Do you think the new lan drivers would be on one of those? *I've
    > > installed patches before on D class servers and B class workstations
    > > but never installed drivers.

    >
    > My dimm memory doesn't work well that far back.
    >
    > > In a previous post you mentioned looking into a B180L. *If available
    > > would a B160L be a good alternative?

    >
    > From a horsepower point of view it would be a fine alternative to a
    > B132L. *The only drawback I could see _might_ be the 10 Mbit/s only
    > core NIC. *You could always add a btlan5 driven add-on PCI 10/100
    > interface if that were an issue.
    >
    > rick jones
    > --
    > oxymoron n, Hummer H2 with California Save Our Coasts and Oceans plates
    > these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    > feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...


    Rick,

    Sorry for the delay.

    With regards to the result of an I/O scan to determine lan card type
    it follows:

    # ioscan
    H/W Path Class Description
    ==============================================
    bc
    8 bc Pseudo Bus Converter
    8/0 unknown GSC-to-PCI Bus Bridge
    8/16 ba Core I/O Adapter
    8/16/0 ext_bus Built-in Parallel Interface
    8/16/1 audio Built-in Audio
    8/16/4 tty Built-in RS-232C
    8/16/5 ext_bus Built-in SCSI
    8/16/5.0 target
    8/16/5.0.0 disk SEAGATE ST31230N
    8/16/5.2 target
    8/16/5.2.0 disk TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5401TA
    8/16/5.3 target
    8/16/5.3.0 tape HP HP35480A
    8/16/5.6 target
    8/16/5.6.0 disk SEAGATE ST32151N
    8/16/5.7 target
    8/16/5.7.0 ctl Initiator
    8/16/6 lan Built-in LAN
    8/16/7 ps2 Built-in Keyboard/Mouse
    8/16/10 pc Built-in Floppy Drive
    8/20 ba Core I/O Adapter
    8/20/1 hil Built-in HIL
    8/20/2 tty Built-in RS-232C
    8/20/5 ba EISA Bus Adapter
    8/24 graphics Graphics
    62 processor Processor
    63 memory Memory

    The lspci command did not work.

    Thanks,
    Ken

  16. Re: Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used

    Ken_Old_Unix_Guy wrote:
    > Sorry for the delay.


    I'm in no rush

    > With regards to the result of an I/O scan to determine lan card type
    > it follows:


    > # ioscan
    > H/W Path Class Description
    > ==============================================
    > bc
    > 8 bc Pseudo Bus Converter
    > 8/0 unknown GSC-to-PCI Bus Bridge
    > 8/16 ba Core I/O Adapter
    > 8/16/0 ext_bus Built-in Parallel Interface
    > 8/16/1 audio Built-in Audio
    > 8/16/4 tty Built-in RS-232C
    > 8/16/5 ext_bus Built-in SCSI
    > 8/16/5.0 target
    > 8/16/5.0.0 disk SEAGATE ST31230N
    > 8/16/5.2 target
    > 8/16/5.2.0 disk TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5401TA
    > 8/16/5.3 target
    > 8/16/5.3.0 tape HP HP35480A
    > 8/16/5.6 target
    > 8/16/5.6.0 disk SEAGATE ST32151N
    > 8/16/5.7 target
    > 8/16/5.7.0 ctl Initiator
    > 8/16/6 lan Built-in LAN
    > 8/16/7 ps2 Built-in Keyboard/Mouse
    > 8/16/10 pc Built-in Floppy Drive
    > 8/20 ba Core I/O Adapter
    > 8/20/1 hil Built-in HIL
    > 8/20/2 tty Built-in RS-232C
    > 8/20/5 ba EISA Bus Adapter
    > 8/24 graphics Graphics
    > 62 processor Processor
    > 63 memory Memory


    I suspect that if I remembered more about LASI and such (Lan And Scsi
    Integrated - a chip that HP pieced together from cells from the Intel
    82596, some SCSI cells I cannot recall and some other ancillary bits)
    and what it looked like in ioscan output I'd be able to say from the
    above. Perhaps someone else does recall - for example, I'm not sure
    if the location of the Built-in LAN suggests it was "PCI" or not, if
    it is PCI then indeed it was the 10/100 and not the 10Mbit only. At
    this point I'm realizing that I should have said "ioscan -fk" to:

    a) include the driver name in the output

    and

    b) use the kernel's existing tree to keep the ioscan command from
    running too long - although on a B132 I doubt that the re-walk
    would take all that long anyway.

    > The lspci command did not work.


    It is a Linux command, not HP-UX; I should have been more clear on
    that point.

    rick jones
    --
    a wide gulf separates "what if" from "if only"
    these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

  17. Re: Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used

    * Ken_Old_Unix_Guy:

    > I had another B132L before that bit the dust big time. Got another
    > B132L
    > and from memory I think I had no problems enabling the codewords.
    >
    > I don't have a B160L or B180L to do an experiment with.


    If it worked with another B132L then it works with B160L and B180L.

    > I already have a few spare parts like a couple of hard drives
    > (ST-32151n),


    Since the B132L can easily handle bigger than 2GB SCSI drives it's IMHO
    very useless to stock old slow 2GB drives.

    > (64MB) memory


    Get 128MB modules at last (better 256MB).

    > , (Original slow) CD-Rom and power supply. That's why
    > I am trying to find an equal piece of hardware.


    Most of these systems are probably already recycled so IMHO it's time to
    move on.

    > If I went down the road of getting a B1000 or B2000 how much would it
    > cost to purchase HP-UX?


    Nothing. The license comes with the machine already. Just find a HP-UX
    11i v1 CD set (either buy one from ebay, get one donated or borrow one).

    Benjamin

  18. Re: Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used

    On Jul 10, 2:13*pm, Rick Jones wrote:
    > Ken_Old_Unix_Guy wrote:
    > > Sorry for the delay.

    >
    > I'm in no rush
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > With regards to the result of an I/O scan to determine lan card type
    > > it follows:
    > > # ioscan
    > > H/W Path * *Class * * * * * * * * *Description
    > > ==============================================
    > > * * * * * * bc
    > > 8 * * * * * bc * * * * * * * * * * PseudoBus Converter
    > > 8/0 * * * * * * unknown * * * * * *GSC-to-PCI Bus Bridge
    > > 8/16 * * * * * *ba * * * * * * * * Core I/OAdapter
    > > 8/16/0 * * * * * * ext_bus * * * * Built-in Parallel Interface
    > > 8/16/1 * * * * * * audio * * * * * Built-in Audio
    > > 8/16/4 * * * * * * tty * * * * * * Built-in RS-232C
    > > 8/16/5 * * * * * * ext_bus * * * * Built-in SCSI
    > > 8/16/5.0 * * * * * * *target
    > > 8/16/5.0.0 * * * * * * * disk * * *SEAGATE ST31230N
    > > 8/16/5.2 * * * * * * *target
    > > 8/16/5.2.0 * * * * * * * disk * * *TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5401TA
    > > 8/16/5.3 * * * * * * *target
    > > 8/16/5.3.0 * * * * * * * tape * * *HP * * *HP35480A
    > > 8/16/5.6 * * * * * * *target
    > > 8/16/5.6.0 * * * * * * * disk * * *SEAGATE ST32151N
    > > 8/16/5.7 * * * * * * *target
    > > 8/16/5.7.0 * * * * * * * ctl * * * Initiator
    > > 8/16/6 * * * * * * lan * * * * * * Built-in LAN
    > > 8/16/7 * * * * * * ps2 * * * * * * Built-in Keyboard/Mouse
    > > 8/16/10 * * * * * *pc * * * * * * *Built-in Floppy Drive
    > > 8/20 * * * * * *ba * * * * * * * * Core I/OAdapter
    > > 8/20/1 * * * * * * hil * * * * * * Built-in HIL
    > > 8/20/2 * * * * * * tty * * * * * * Built-in RS-232C
    > > 8/20/5 * * * * * * ba * * * * * * *EISA Bus Adapter
    > > 8/24 * * * * * *graphics * * * * * Graphics
    > > 62 * * * * *processor * * * * * * *Processor
    > > 63 * * * * *memory * * * * * * * * Memory

    >
    > I suspect that if I remembered more about LASI and such (Lan And Scsi
    > Integrated - a chip that HP pieced together from cells from the Intel
    > 82596, some SCSI cells I cannot recall and some other ancillary bits)
    > and what it looked like in ioscan output I'd be able to say from the
    > above. *Perhaps someone else does recall - for example, I'm not sure
    > if the location of the Built-in LAN suggests it was "PCI" or not, if
    > it is PCI then indeed it was the 10/100 and not the 10Mbit only. At
    > this point I'm realizing that I should have said "ioscan -fk" to:
    >
    > a) include the driver name in the output
    >
    > and
    >
    > b) use the kernel's existing tree to keep the ioscan command from
    > * *running too long - although on a B132 I doubt that the re-walk
    > * *would take all that long anyway.
    >
    > > The lspci command did not work.

    >
    > It is a Linux command, not HP-UX; I should have been more clear on
    > that point.
    >
    > rick jones
    > --
    > a wide gulf separates "what if" from "if only"
    > these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    > feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    Rick,

    The ioscan -fnk returned the following:

    Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description
    ================================================== =====================
    lan 0 8/16/6 lan2 CLAIMED INTERFACE Built-
    in LAN
    /dev/diag/lan0 /dev/ether0 /dev/lan0

    Ken


  19. Re: Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used

    On Jul 10, 5:51*pm, Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > * Ken_Old_Unix_Guy:
    >
    > > I had another B132L before that bit the dust big time. *Got another
    > > B132L
    > > and from memory I think I had no problems enabling the codewords.

    >
    > > I don't have a B160L or B180L to do an experiment with.

    >
    > If it worked with another B132L then it works with B160L and B180L.
    >
    > > I already have a few spare parts like a couple of hard drives
    > > (ST-32151n),

    >
    > Since the B132L can easily handle bigger than 2GB SCSI drives it's IMHO
    > very useless to stock old slow 2GB drives.
    >
    > > (64MB) memory

    >
    > Get 128MB modules at last (better 256MB).
    >
    > > , (Original slow) CD-Rom and power supply. *That's why
    > > I am trying to find an equal piece of hardware.

    >
    > Most of these systems are probably already recycled so IMHO it's time to
    > move on.
    >
    > > If I went down the road of getting a B1000 or B2000 how much would it
    > > cost to purchase HP-UX?

    >
    > Nothing. The license comes with the machine already. Just find a HP-UX
    > 11i v1 CD set (either buy one from ebay, get one donated or borrow one).
    >
    > Benjamin


    Benjamin,

    Thanks. I made a mistake. The machine actually has 384MB RAM
    not 64MB .

    For usage as a small machine another reason I left the 2GB system
    disk in place was because the SCSI DAT drive also an old type only
    stores 2GB when using the copyutil on the diagnostic CD.

    All my data/source files are on an external SCSI 18GB drive.

    Ken



  20. Re: Off Topic - HP B132L Hardware Used

    Ken_Old_Unix_Guy wrote:
    > The ioscan -fnk returned the following:


    > Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description
    > ================================================== =====================
    > lan 0 8/16/6 lan2 CLAIMED INTERFACE Built-
    > in LAN
    > /dev/diag/lan0 /dev/ether0 /dev/lan0


    Then that is definitely the 10 Mbit/s only core NIC as the "lan2"
    driver (not to be confused with an interface named "lan2" was used
    to drive the Intel 82596 chips and/or the LASI which had 82596 cells
    in it.

    rick jones
    --
    firebug n, the idiot who tosses a lit cigarette out his car window
    these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast