Newbie questions - HP UX

This is a discussion on Newbie questions - HP UX ; Hi All, I'm moving my very 1st steps into HP-UX world. I'm used to work on Debian Linux machines, but HP system is not so similar to it... So I feel a little lost :-) 2 questions: - I've done ...

  1. Newbie questions

    Hi All,
    I'm moving my very 1st steps into HP-UX world. I'm used to work on
    Debian Linux machines, but HP system is not so similar to it... So I
    feel a little lost :-)
    2 questions:
    - I've done a fresh installation of 11 v3 on a rx3600, all seems fine
    (at the 2nd try) but I still have a boot message that says something
    like "configuration for secboot: Fail*" (I don't have visibility on the
    system right now, so I can't be more precise
    - I want to install dataprotector 6 because I want to use this machine
    as a Cell server. But before to do something stupid, I want to make a
    full backup of the system, like an image (on linux I use partimage from
    a live CD for these purposes). Is there something similar for HPUX? I
    know Ignite, but I want to avoid its installation...

    Thanks, Alex

    --
    GenTLe ...di Varese, provincia.
    TL1000S + Mito 125 per la pista

    Is there anyboy out there? (cit.)

  2. Re: Newbie questions

    GenTLe wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >I'm moving my very 1st steps into HP-UX world. I'm used to work on
    >Debian Linux machines, but HP system is not so similar to it... So I
    >feel a little lost :-)
    >2 questions:
    >- I've done a fresh installation of 11 v3 on a rx3600, all seems fine
    >(at the 2nd try) but I still have a boot message that says something
    >like "configuration for secboot: Fail*" (I don't have visibility on the
    >system right now, so I can't be more precise
    >- I want to install dataprotector 6 because I want to use this machine
    >as a Cell server. But before to do something stupid, I want to make a
    >full backup of the system, like an image (on linux I use partimage from
    >a live CD for these purposes). Is there something similar for HPUX? I
    >know Ignite, but I want to avoid its installation...
    >
    >Thanks, Alex

    Alex,

    Ignite is the way to go for this.

    Why do you want to avoid its installation?

    My team at work look after 100 or so HP-UX systems, all run a weekly
    Ignite backup.

    Regards,

    Ted.
    | Ted Linnell |
    | |
    | Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

  3. Re: Newbie questions

    Ted Linnell wrote:
    > Alex,
    > Ignite is the way to go for this.
    > Why do you want to avoid its installation?

    Well, because we're migrating the datacenter from Milan to Wien, so in
    1-2 months this will be the only HP-UX machine here, the 4 superdome and
    the 20 Rx8620 will be no more available. So no more Ignite server :-)

    > Australia

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Let me envying you :-)

    --
    GenTLe ...di Varese, provincia.
    TL1000S + Mito 125 per la pista
    La mia HP: http://digilander.iol.it/thegentle/index.htm

    Debian Lenny powered... Again :-)

  4. Re: Newbie questions

    >> Ignite is the way to go for this.
    >> Why do you want to avoid its installation?

    > Well, because we're migrating the datacenter from Milan to Wien, so in 1-2
    > months this will be the only HP-UX machine here, the 4 superdome and the
    > 20 Rx8620 will be no more available. So no more Ignite server :-)

    Don't you have any tape drive attached? If you do then use it instead. If
    you don't then try to find a one.

    M.

  5. Re: Newbie questions

    Mario wrote:
    > Don't you have any tape drive attached? If you do then use it instead. If
    > you don't then try to find a one.

    Ciao Mario,
    you mean that I can use Ignite starting from a machine and backing up
    the machine itself? If so I'll be ok :-) This will be the Dataprotector
    server: offcourse I'll have tapes attached :-)
    Thanks!

    --
    GenTLe ...di Varese, provincia.
    TL1000S + Mito 125 per la pista
    La mia HP: http://digilander.iol.it/thegentle/index.htm

    Is there anyboy out there? (cit.)

  6. Re: Newbie questions

    GenTLe wrote:

    >Mario wrote:
    >> Don't you have any tape drive attached? If you do then use it instead. If
    >> you don't then try to find a one.

    >Ciao Mario,
    >you mean that I can use Ignite starting from a machine and backing up
    >the machine itself? If so I'll be ok :-) This will be the Dataprotector
    >server: offcourse I'll have tapes attached :-)
    >Thanks!

    Yes,

    We don't have an Ignite server. All out servers run an Ignite backup
    to a local tape drive.

    Regards,

    Ted.
    | Ted Linnell |