Q: top (HP-UX 11.31) BLOCK, WAIT, INTR, SSYS always "0.0%" - HP UX

This is a discussion on Q: top (HP-UX 11.31) BLOCK, WAIT, INTR, SSYS always "0.0%" - HP UX ; Hi, did anybody ever see a value different from "0.0%" in HP-UX top? In Linux I see a status line like this: Cpu(s): 2.5%us, 0.9%sy, 0.0%ni, 96.2%id, 0.3%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st But for HP-UX you don't see any waits in ...

  1. Q: top (HP-UX 11.31) BLOCK, WAIT, INTR, SSYS always "0.0%"

    Hi,

    did anybody ever see a value different from "0.0%" in HP-UX top?
    In Linux I see a status line like this:
    Cpu(s): 2.5%us, 0.9%sy, 0.0%ni, 96.2%id, 0.3%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st

    But for HP-UX you don't see any waits in top. Is it a bug? (I mean if HP-UX
    were horribly fast, I'd believe that it never has to wait for I/O, but...)

    The manual page is absolutely silent about "WAIT" and alike.

    Regards,
    Ulrich

  2. Re: Q: top (HP-UX 11.31) BLOCK, WAIT, INTR, SSYS always "0.0%"

    Ulrich Windl wrote:
    > did anybody ever see a value different from "0.0%" in HP-UX top?

    Hmm, it seems it is all lumped in to SYS.

    > Is it a bug?

    No, you are suppose to use glance if you want detailed info.
    The man page just mentions interrupt and swapper.

  3. Re: Q: top (HP-UX 11.31) BLOCK, WAIT, INTR, SSYS always "0.0%"

    Dennis Handly writes:

    > Ulrich Windl wrote:
    >> did anybody ever see a value different from "0.0%" in HP-UX top?

    > Hmm, it seems it is all lumped in to SYS.
    >
    >> Is it a bug?

    > No, you are suppose to use glance if you want detailed info.
    > The man page just mentions interrupt and swapper.

    Any average C-programmer could probably just remove those columns if they
    never contain any reasonable value. Maybe it's to leave the impression for
    dummies that HP-UX never waits for I/O. ;-)

    When talking about dummies: Does glance run in a text terminal?

    Regards,
    Ulrich

  4. Re: Q: top (HP-UX 11.31) BLOCK, WAIT, INTR, SSYS always "0.0%"

    Ulrich Windl wrote:
    > When talking about dummies: Does glance run in a text terminal?

    There is a TUI mode but that needs screen positioning escape sequences.

  5. Re: Q: top (HP-UX 11.31) BLOCK, WAIT, INTR, SSYS always "0.0%"

    Ulrich Windl wrote:

    >Dennis Handly writes:
    >
    >> Ulrich Windl wrote:
    >>> did anybody ever see a value different from "0.0%" in HP-UX top?

    >> Hmm, it seems it is all lumped in to SYS.
    >>
    >>> Is it a bug?

    >> No, you are suppose to use glance if you want detailed info.
    >> The man page just mentions interrupt and swapper.

    >Any average C-programmer could probably just remove those columns if they
    >never contain any reasonable value. Maybe it's to leave the impression for
    >dummies that HP-UX never waits for I/O. ;-)
    >
    >When talking about dummies: Does glance run in a text terminal?
    >
    >Regards,
    >Ulrich

    Yes. I usually run it from a telnet/ssh session/

    Ted.
    | Ted Linnell |
    | |
    | Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |