Q: DP 6.0: rds constantly using CPU - HP UX

This is a discussion on Q: DP 6.0: rds constantly using CPU - HP UX ; Hi, with Data Protector 6.0 the "rds" process is constantly eating about 28% of a 1.6GHz Itanium2 CPU (and thus is the top CPU process) even when nothing is going on with Data Protector (no session running, no user connected). ...

  1. Q: DP 6.0: rds constantly using CPU

    Hi,

    with Data Protector 6.0 the "rds" process is constantly eating about 28% of a
    1.6GHz Itanium2 CPU (and thus is the top CPU process) even when nothing is
    going on with Data Protector (no session running, no user connected).

    Even though with the latest patches, the beast is faster than before, it must
    still have a hidden performance brake.

    Does anybody know the secret?

    Regards,
    Ulrich

  2. Re: Q: DP 6.0: rds constantly using CPU

    Hi!

    Even during an object copy session (from File Jukebox located on a EVA 6000
    with dual 4Gb FC connections to a LTO3 medium), the "stream of bytes
    transferred" stops now and then for something like a minute or two. When
    nothing "flows", the rds process keeps about zwo cores of a 1.6GHz Itanium2
    machine busy. Watching it on a 4-Core rx6600, I almost get the impression that
    the threads running on both cores do not cooperate, but fight each other (like
    each on waiting in a spin-lock for the other one).

    Isn't there any competent Data Protector maintainer that can fix this problem?

    (At the moment I have to wait DAYS until somebody at HP replies to software
    cases regarding Data Protector, but they are very fast when closing calls that
    had no resolution, because there's a software bug. Still the product is very
    expensive, so I wonder if somebody at the management should be
    sacrificed. What's going on?)

    Regrads,
    Ulrich

    Ulrich Windl writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > with Data Protector 6.0 the "rds" process is constantly eating about 28% of a
    > 1.6GHz Itanium2 CPU (and thus is the top CPU process) even when nothing is
    > going on with Data Protector (no session running, no user connected).
    >
    > Even though with the latest patches, the beast is faster than before, it must
    > still have a hidden performance brake.
    >
    > Does anybody know the secret?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ulrich