broken connection - can vi session be saved? - HP UX

This is a discussion on broken connection - can vi session be saved? - HP UX ; Working remotely is great. However it's a very annoying when the connection is lost. is there a way to recover a vi session and changes when the connection is severed? When I log back in and see my vi session ...

  1. broken connection - can vi session be saved?

    Working remotely is great. However it's a very annoying when the
    connection is lost. is there a way to recover a vi session and
    changes when the connection is severed? When I log back in and see my
    vi session still running, I wish there was a way to pick up the
    session again or at least save the current buffer into another file.
    Let me know if this if I'm just dreamin for the impossible.

    mike

  2. Re: broken connection - can vi session be saved?

    On May 21, 3:57 am, mmccaws2 wrote:

    > is there a way to recover a vi session and
    > changes when the connection is severed?

    Have you tried `vi -r ...'?
    `man vi' has more details.

    Mathen

  3. Re: broken connection - can vi session be saved?

    mmccaws2 wrote:
    > However it's a very annoying when the connection is lost.

    You might want to use VNC.

    > When I log back in and see my
    > vi session still running, I wish there was a way to pick up the
    > session again or at least save the current buffer into another file.

    You might be able to send that vi SIGHUP. Then use what Mathen said
    about vi -r based on the mail you get.

  4. Re: broken connection - can vi session be saved?

    On May 21, 1:41 am, Dennis Handly wrote:
    > mmccaws2 wrote:
    > > However it's a very annoying when the connection is lost.

    > You might want to use VNC.
    >
    > > When I log back in and see my
    > > vi session still running, I wish there was a way to pick up the
    > > session again or at least save the current buffer into another file.

    > You might be able to send that vi SIGHUP. Then use what Mathen said
    > about vi -r based on the mail you get.

    Thanks I'll look into the -r option. I'm not going to convince work
    into letting me use VNC. So I'll try vi -r.

    Mike

  5. Re: broken connection - can vi session be saved?

    "mmccaws2" wrote in message
    > On May 21, 1:41 am, Dennis Handly wrote:
    >> mmccaws2 wrote:
    >> > However it's a very annoying when the connection is lost.

    >> You might want to use VNC.
    >>
    >> > When I log back in and see my
    >> > vi session still running, I wish there was a way to pick up the
    >> > session again or at least save the current buffer into another file.

    >> You might be able to send that vi SIGHUP. Then use what Mathen said
    >> about vi -r based on the mail you get.

    > Thanks I'll look into the -r option. I'm not going to convince work
    > into letting me use VNC. So I'll try vi -r.

    See if they'll let you use screen. Then you can just rejoin your session.
    It's available from the porting center.

    Dan Mercer

    > Mike

+ Reply to Thread