Network adapter using for the communication - HP UX

This is a discussion on Network adapter using for the communication - HP UX ; HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 How can we verify what the underlying network adapter is using for the communication, is it the 1G Ethernet or the Infiniband? Or something else? Alex Vinokur email: alex DOT vinokur AT gmail DOT com http://mathforum.org/library/view/10978.html ...

  1. Network adapter using for the communication

    HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64

    How can we verify what the underlying network adapter is using for the
    communication, is it the 1G Ethernet or the Infiniband? Or something
    else?

    Alex Vinokur
    http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn

  2. Re: Network adapter using for the communication

    Alex Vinokur wrote:
    > HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64

    > How can we verify what the underlying network adapter is using for the
    > communication, is it the 1G Ethernet or the Infiniband? Or something
    > else?

    Well, if this is all IP-over-foo, you could run tcpdump or nettl on
    each of the interfaces in turn to see if you can see your traffic.

    Or if you know the "other" interface(s) should be quiet you could look
    at link-level statistics with lanadmin (or whatever is used for IB if
    it doesn't support lanadmin).

    The "omni" tests in top-of-trunk netperf will make a _guess_ as to
    what interface they are using based on doing a route lookup.

    rick jones
    where do you want to be today?

  3. Re: Network adapter using for the communication

    On May 12, 8:08*pm, Rick Jones wrote:

    [snipped]

    > Well, if this is all IP-over-foo, you could run tcpdump or nettl on
    > each of the interfaces in turn to see if you can see your traffic.
    >
    > Or if you know the "other" interface(s) should be quiet you could look
    > at link-level statistics with lanadmin (or whatever is used for IB if
    > it doesn't support lanadmin).

    [snipped]

    1. tcpdump is missing on our HP.

    2. nettl: This command requires superuser capabilities.

    3. But in man nettl I found out utility nettlconf

    > nettlconf -status

    [--omitted--]
    185 GELAN D E Gigabit Ethernet LAN/9000 Networking
    210 btlan D E 100 Mb/s LAN/9000 Networking
    233 intl100 D E 100 Mb/s LAN/9000 Networking
    244 NS_LS_IPV6 D E ARPA/9000 NETWORKING
    245 NS_LS_ICMPV6 D E ARPA/9000 NETWORKING
    246 DLPI D E DLPI Subsystem
    247 VLAN D E VLAN Subsystem
    249 NS_LS_LOOPBACK6 D E ARPA/9000 NETWORKING
    252 IGELAN D E Gigabit Ethernet LAN/9000 Networking
    253 IETHER D E 100BT/Gigabit Ethernet LAN/9000
    Networking
    257 WBEMProvider-LAN D E LAN
    258 SYSADMIN D E NETWORKING
    264 LVMPROVIDER D E LVM

    My question: What is "network adapter is using for the communication"
    here? IGELAN ?

    4. Via lanadmin I have got the following result.

    LAN INTERFACE STATUS DISPLAY
    Mon, May 12,2008 20:05:58

    PPA Number = 0
    Description = lan0 HP PCI-X 1000Base-T Release B.
    11.23.0609
    Type (value) = ethernet-csmacd(6)
    MTU Size = 1500
    Speed = 1000000000

    Rick, thank you.

    ..
    Alex Vinokur
    http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn

  4. Re: Network adapter using for the communication

    Alex Vinokur wrote:
    > 1. tcpdump is missing on our HP.

    HP Internet Express bits via software.hp.com -or-
    http://www.tcpdump.org/ for bits you can compile yourself.

    > 2. nettl: This command requires superuser capabilities.

    > 3. But in man nettl I found out utility nettlconf

    > > nettlconf -status

    > [--omitted--]
    > 185 GELAN D E Gigabit Ethernet LAN/9000 Networking
    > 210 btlan D E 100 Mb/s LAN/9000 Networking
    > 233 intl100 D E 100 Mb/s LAN/9000 Networking
    > 244 NS_LS_IPV6 D E ARPA/9000 NETWORKING
    > 245 NS_LS_ICMPV6 D E ARPA/9000 NETWORKING
    > 246 DLPI D E DLPI Subsystem
    > 247 VLAN D E VLAN Subsystem
    > 249 NS_LS_LOOPBACK6 D E ARPA/9000 NETWORKING
    > 252 IGELAN D E Gigabit Ethernet LAN/9000 Networking
    > 253 IETHER D E 100BT/Gigabit Ethernet LAN/9000
    > Networking
    > 257 WBEMProvider-LAN D E LAN
    > 258 SYSADMIN D E NETWORKING
    > 264 LVMPROVIDER D E LVM

    > My question: What is "network adapter is using for the communication"
    > here? IGELAN ?

    ioscan -fkC lan and see what driver it reports. Not sure if that
    command will show the IB card or not.

    rick jones