Q: LDAP-UX and OpenLDAP? - HP UX

This is a discussion on Q: LDAP-UX and OpenLDAP? - HP UX ; Hi, I'm trying to use OpenLDAP 2.3 as server for LDAP-UX. The problem I see is that the "create_profile_schema" is unable to talk to the server, and the LDIF file found in /tmp/ldapux_schema.ldif only contains the objectClass DUAConfigprofile, but none ...

  1. Q: LDAP-UX and OpenLDAP?

    Hi,

    I'm trying to use OpenLDAP 2.3 as server for LDAP-UX. The problem I see is
    that the "create_profile_schema" is unable to talk to the server, and the LDIF
    file found in /tmp/ldapux_schema.ldif only contains the objectClass
    DUAConfigprofile, but none of the attributes. So I cannot add the LDIF even
    locally on the LDAP server.

    I wonder why HP does not simply publish the schema they use. For some
    administrators it's easier to add the schema from a text file rather than
    running some remote tool (which has no manpage, etc.) that is expected to
    magically add the schema definition to a server.

    I admit that I have not read all the 275 pages of the manual, mostly because
    I'm evaluating whether to move from NIS to LDAP or not.

    Has anybody succeeded using OpenLDAP 2.3 with LDAP-UX (latest version)?

    Regards,
    Ulrich

  2. Re: Q: LDAP-UX and OpenLDAP?

    On May 9, 4:08 am, Ulrich Windl
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to use OpenLDAP 2.3 as server for LDAP-UX. The problem I see is
    > that the "create_profile_schema" is unable to talk to the server, and the LDIF
    > file found in /tmp/ldapux_schema.ldif only contains the objectClass
    > DUAConfigprofile, but none of the attributes. So I cannot add the LDIF even
    > locally on the LDAP server.
    >
    > I wonder why HP does not simply publish the schema they use. For some
    > administrators it's easier to add the schema from a text file rather than
    > running some remote tool (which has no manpage, etc.) that is expected to
    > magically add the schema definition to a server.
    >
    > I admit that I have not read all the 275 pages of the manual, mostly because
    > I'm evaluating whether to move from NIS to LDAP or not.
    >
    > Has anybody succeeded using OpenLDAP 2.3 with LDAP-UX (latest version)?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ulrich

    Ulrich,

    I have just recently started using this. I have been experimenting
    using OpenLDAP 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4. I struggled through this as well
    but have at least gotten most things working. On your OpenLDAP server
    there should be a schema called duaconf.schema. You will have to
    include this in your slapd.conf and then you must create a
    duaconfigprofile in your LDAP server (e.g.
    cn=uxprofile,ou=Profiles,dn=example,dn=com). You can search google
    for an example profile. Then run your setup and point your LDAP-UX
    client to this profile and it will download the schema. That's pretty
    much all you have to do besides configure your pamd.conf and
    nsswitch.conf. If you have any other questions please ask away as I
    am learning at the same time.

    Adam

  3. Re: Q: LDAP-UX and OpenLDAP?

    sixpacadam writes:

    > On May 9, 4:08 am, Ulrich Windl
    > wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm trying to use OpenLDAP 2.3 as server for LDAP-UX. The problem I see is
    >> that the "create_profile_schema" is unable to talk to the server, and the LDIF
    >> file found in /tmp/ldapux_schema.ldif only contains the objectClass
    >> DUAConfigprofile, but none of the attributes. So I cannot add the LDIF even
    >> locally on the LDAP server.
    >>
    >> I wonder why HP does not simply publish the schema they use. For some
    >> administrators it's easier to add the schema from a text file rather than
    >> running some remote tool (which has no manpage, etc.) that is expected to
    >> magically add the schema definition to a server.
    >>
    >> I admit that I have not read all the 275 pages of the manual, mostly because
    >> I'm evaluating whether to move from NIS to LDAP or not.
    >>
    >> Has anybody succeeded using OpenLDAP 2.3 with LDAP-UX (latest version)?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Ulrich

    > Ulrich,
    >
    > I have just recently started using this. I have been experimenting
    > using OpenLDAP 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4. I struggled through this as well
    > but have at least gotten most things working. On your OpenLDAP server
    > there should be a schema called duaconf.schema. You will have to
    > include this in your slapd.conf and then you must create a
    > duaconfigprofile in your LDAP server (e.g.
    > cn=uxprofile,ou=Profiles,dn=example,dn=com). You can search google
    > for an example profile. Then run your setup and point your LDAP-UX
    > client to this profile and it will download the schema. That's pretty
    > much all you have to do besides configure your pamd.conf and
    > nsswitch.conf. If you have any other questions please ask away as I
    > am learning at the same time.
    >
    > Adam

    I've put the project "on ice" for a while. There's only a limited time for
    experiments. Finally things have to work. We'll stay with NIS for another
    while...

    Ulrich

+ Reply to Thread