Changing forgotton root password on HP-UX - HP UX

This is a discussion on Changing forgotton root password on HP-UX - HP UX ; I had this problem and was able to solve it after some digging. You need to be on the console to change the root password. 1) Reboot the machine, hold the ESC key 2) A promt will appear. Type "boot ...

  1. Changing forgotton root password on HP-UX

    I had this problem and was able to solve it after some digging. You
    need to be on the console to change the root password.
    1) Reboot the machine, hold the ESC key
    2) A promt will appear. Type "boot pri isl" or just "boot pri"
    3) On ISL prompt type
    ISL> hpux -is
    4) System will give you a root promt. If the root password is already
    set on the system and you forgot it then using passwd command will not
    work as it will ask for the old password which you may not have.
    5) export TERM=vt100 (if it is not set already)
    6) cat /etc/fstab
    7) Look at the volume groups for /var , /tmp, /usr. mount all of
    these. You might also have to do fsck to these vol groups in some
    case.This info is system specific.
    8) Try command
    # bdf ( this may not work at this time).
    Example to mount your filesystems. You dont have to perform fsck
    every time but some of you might have to do it , hence both the
    examples are below:
    # fsck /dev/vg00/lvol4 ( If that is /var in /etc/fstab. do the
    same for /usr/ and /tmp).
    #mount /dev/vg00/lvol4 ( if that is /var/ in /etc/fstab. do the
    same for /usr and /tmp).
    now try this command
    #bdf ( this should work now)
    9) # cd /tcb/files/auth/r/
    10) # vi root
    11) You will find a password string for example
    u_pwd=hDe1x6DzeriPl4:\ (this is just an example and not real
    password )

    remove this string but do not remove colon and the slash ( :\ ). so it
    should look

    u_pwd=:\

    save and exit.
    12) # passwd root ( now change the password for root)
    13) unmount all the mouted filesystems (/var /tmp /usr)
    14) reboot

    Hope this helps.

  2. Re: Changing forgotton root password on HP-UX

    itsme schrieb:
    > I had this problem and was able to solve it after some digging. You
    > need to be on the console to change the root password.
    > 1) Reboot the machine, hold the ESC key
    > 2) A promt will appear. Type "boot pri isl" or just "boot pri"
    > 3) On ISL prompt type
    > ISL> hpux -is

    (snip)

    that's fine.
    But how to achieve that on a series 300/400
    (they don't have ISL) ?

  3. Re: Changing forgotton root password on HP-UX

    Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > itsme schrieb:
    > > I had this problem and was able to solve it after some digging. You
    > > need to be on the console to change the root password.
    > > 1) Reboot the machine, hold the ESC key
    > > 2) A promt will appear. Type "boot pri isl" or just "boot pri"
    > > 3) On ISL prompt type
    > > ISL> hpux -is

    > (snip)
    >
    > that's fine.
    > But how to achieve that on a series 300/400
    > (they don't have ISL) ?

    Please try:

    - Let the system boot.

    - When the system is fully booted, power it off, i.e. do *not* do a
    shutdown(1M).

    - Power-up.

    - Because the system was not properly shutdown, it will start to
    fsck(1M) the disk(s).

    - Before, when and after fsck is running, i.e. before and after the
    "/etc/bcheckrc:" (note colon) message, *repeatedly* type:

    - CTRL-\, i.e. press-and-hold the "CTRL" key and press the "\" key.
    If that does not work, then start over and try:

    - DEL, i.e. press-and-hold the "Shift" key and press the ESC/DEL key,
    If that does not work, then start over and try:

    - CTRL-C, i.e. press-and-hold the "CTRL" key and press the "C" key,

    - For a default system, this will hopefully abort the boot process or/
    and fsck and will hopefully give you a "(in bcheckrc)# " prompt. If
    so, you are in single user mode.

    I hope this helps. If it does, then please report which of the 'magic'
    characters (CTRL-\ or DEL or CTRL-C)) worked.

+ Reply to Thread