HP-UX 11i on IA64 Backup - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP-UX 11i on IA64 Backup - HP UX ; So I'm not a HP-UX admin by any stretch of the imagination, but have inherited a lab where we have a couple of old HP ZX 9000 IA64 systems, one of which contains a HP-UX 11i installation. One of our ...

  1. HP-UX 11i on IA64 Backup

    So I'm not a HP-UX admin by any stretch of the imagination, but have
    inherited a lab where we have a couple of old HP ZX 9000 IA64 systems,
    one of which contains a HP-UX 11i installation. One of our engineers
    needs it from time to time to check that a cross platform shell script
    he works on runs correctly in HP-UX.

    Of course there is no backup, and the HP-UX install CDs have long
    since vanished (actually I have HP-UX PA-Risc install CDs, but not HP-
    UX IA64 install CDs - that would have made things too easy!)

    I'm trying to figure out how I can make a backup of the known good HP-
    UX install (which is on a single SCSI drive), to a spare identical
    hard drive (and I mean identical, same size, geometry, etc) from one
    of the other unused machines to avoid potential disasters/drive
    failures etc occurring on my watch. The second drive does not have HP-
    UX on it, and has essentially never been used - so is almost a "fresh"
    drive.

    If this was a Linux x86 machine I'd insert the second drive, boot a
    recovery CD, and simply dd or clonezilla the original drive to the
    spare drive. I know some Linux distributions have IA64 boot disks,
    and I'm thinking I might be able to accomplish the same here.

    What I want to know is if there is a "best way" to do this in HP-UX,
    any gotchas if I just use a linux IA64 bootable CD and do a DD, or any
    other problems that might occur.

    Thanks,
    Andrew

  2. Re: HP-UX 11i on IA64 Backup

    andrews.usenet.account@gmail.com wrote:
    > So I'm not a HP-UX admin by any stretch of the imagination, but have
    > inherited a lab where we have a couple of old HP ZX 9000 IA64
    > systems, one of which contains a HP-UX 11i installation. One of our
    > engineers needs it from time to time to check that a cross platform
    > shell script he works on runs correctly in HP-UX.

    A couple nits:

    *) the IA64 systems are "Integrity" systems not 9000's

    *) there are at least two common "11i" revs for Integrity systems -
    11iv2 (aka 11.23) and 11iv3 (aka 11.31) so best to be specific.

    > Of course there is no backup, and the HP-UX install CDs have long
    > since vanished (actually I have HP-UX PA-Risc install CDs, but not
    > HP- UX IA64 install CDs - that would have made things too easy!)

    > I'm trying to figure out how I can make a backup of the known good
    > HP- UX install (which is on a single SCSI drive), to a spare
    > identical hard drive (and I mean identical, same size, geometry,
    > etc) from one of the other unused machines to avoid potential
    > disasters/drive failures etc occurring on my watch. The second
    > drive does not have HP- UX on it, and has essentially never been
    > used - so is almost a "fresh" drive.

    Ignite/UX and the make_mumble_recovery functionality is what you want.
    At least that can be used to make recovery images - not sure if they
    can do that to disc these days or not though.

    Ignite can be had via software.hp.com. Manuals should be somewhere on
    docs.hp.com I would think.

    > If this was a Linux x86 machine I'd insert the second drive, boot a
    > recovery CD, and simply dd or clonezilla the original drive to the
    > spare drive. I know some Linux distributions have IA64 boot disks,
    > and I'm thinking I might be able to accomplish the same here.

    > What I want to know is if there is a "best way" to do this in HP-UX,
    > any gotchas if I just use a linux IA64 bootable CD and do a DD, or any
    > other problems that might occur.

    The "best way" to backup a system install for recovery is via Ignite,
    but I believe folks have used dd in the past.

    Supported, known to work -> warm fuzzies all around
    Supported, not known to not work -> an HPite may be in trouble
    Supported, known to not work -> an HPite is in trouble
    Unsupported, known to work -> lucky today, unlucky tomorrow?
    Unsupported, not known to not work -> there but for the grace of Turing
    Unsupported, known to not work -> no, it was not deliberate ;-)

    hth,

    rick jones

  3. Re: HP-UX 11i on IA64 Backup

    Whoops. I meant it is an HP ZX6000 workstation system (not ZX 9000).

    A uname -a on the box shows that it is
    HP-UX hpwk1 B.11.22 U ia64.

    Thanks for the info on Ignite/UX - I'll look in to it.

    On Apr 18, 11:38 am, Rick Jones wrote:
    > andrews.usenet.acco...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > So I'm not a HP-UX admin by any stretch of the imagination, but have
    > > inherited a lab where we have a couple of old HP ZX 9000 IA64
    > > systems, one of which contains a HP-UX 11i installation. One of our
    > > engineers needs it from time to time to check that a cross platform
    > > shell script he works on runs correctly in HP-UX.

    > A couple nits:
    >
    > *) the IA64 systems are "Integrity" systems not 9000's
    >
    > *) there are at least two common "11i" revs for Integrity systems -
    > 11iv2 (aka 11.23) and 11iv3 (aka 11.31) so best to be specific.
    >
    > > Of course there is no backup, and the HP-UX install CDs have long
    > > since vanished (actually I have HP-UX PA-Risc install CDs, but not
    > > HP- UX IA64 install CDs - that would have made things too easy!)
    > > I'm trying to figure out how I can make a backup of the known good
    > > HP- UX install (which is on a single SCSI drive), to a spare
    > > identical hard drive (and I mean identical, same size, geometry,
    > > etc) from one of the other unused machines to avoid potential
    > > disasters/drive failures etc occurring on my watch. The second
    > > drive does not have HP- UX on it, and has essentially never been
    > > used - so is almost a "fresh" drive.

    > Ignite/UX and the make_mumble_recovery functionality is what you want.
    > At least that can be used to make recovery images - not sure if they
    > can do that to disc these days or not though.
    >
    > Ignite can be had via software.hp.com. Manuals should be somewhere on
    > docs.hp.com I would think.
    >
    > > If this was a Linux x86 machine I'd insert the second drive, boot a
    > > recovery CD, and simply dd or clonezilla the original drive to the
    > > spare drive. I know some Linux distributions have IA64 boot disks,
    > > and I'm thinking I might be able to accomplish the same here.
    > > What I want to know is if there is a "best way" to do this in HP-UX,
    > > any gotchas if I just use a linux IA64 bootable CD and do a DD, or any
    > > other problems that might occur.

    > The "best way" to backup a system install for recovery is via Ignite,
    > but I believe folks have used dd in the past.
    >
    > Supported, known to work -> warm fuzzies all around
    > Supported, not known to not work -> an HPite may be in trouble
    > Supported, known to not work -> an HPite is in trouble
    > Unsupported, known to work -> lucky today, unlucky tomorrow?
    > Unsupported, not known to not work -> there but for the grace of Turing
    > Unsupported, known to not work -> no, it was not deliberate ;-)
    >
    > hth,
    >
    > rick jones
    > --
    > a wide gulf separates "what if" from "if only"
    > these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    > feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

  4. Re: HP-UX 11i on IA64 Backup

    andrews.usenet.account@gmail.com wrote:
    > Whoops. I meant it is an HP ZX6000 workstation system (not ZX 9000).

    > A uname -a on the box shows that it is
    > HP-UX hpwk1 B.11.22 U ia64.

    11.22 (aka 11iv1.6) was more of an "interim" OS release. I am not
    sure it is still supported. I believe that 11.23 (11iv2) is/was
    supported on the zx6000 and you might want to see about getting there.

    rick jones

  5. Re: HP-UX 11i on IA64 Backup

    Rick Jones wrote:
    > andrews.usenet.account@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Whoops. I meant it is an HP ZX6000 workstation system (not ZX 9000).

    >> A uname -a on the box shows that it is
    >> HP-UX hpwk1 B.11.22 U ia64.

    > 11.22 (aka 11iv1.6) was more of an "interim" OS release. I am not
    > sure it is still supported. I believe that 11.23 (11iv2) is/was
    > supported on the zx6000 and you might want to see about getting there.
    >
    > rick jones

    11.22 is no longer supported at all, and support for it was removed from
    Ignite-UX about 2 years ago.

    The original post contains a slight misconception, that there are
    separate media for PA vs IA systems. This isn't correct, any factory
    media set for 11i v2 (11.23) and/or 11i v3 (11.31) will support both
    architectures. v1 (11.11) only supports PA.

    Al

  6. Re: HP-UX 11i on IA64 Backup

    Al Miller wrote:
    > The original post contains a slight misconception, that there are
    > separate media for PA vs IA systems. This isn't correct, any
    > factory media set for 11i v2 (11.23) and/or 11i v3 (11.31) will
    > support both architectures. v1 (11.11) only supports PA.

    I would add only a slight tweak - IIRC the initial/early 11i V2
    (11.23) media were IPF only.

    rick jones

  7. Re: HP-UX 11i on IA64 Backup

    Rick Jones wrote:
    > Al Miller wrote:
    >> The original post contains a slight misconception, that there are
    >> separate media for PA vs IA systems. This isn't correct, any
    >> factory media set for 11i v2 (11.23) and/or 11i v3 (11.31) will
    >> support both architectures. v1 (11.11) only supports PA.

    > I would add only a slight tweak - IIRC the initial/early 11i V2
    > (11.23) media were IPF only.
    >
    > rick jones

    Ah, yes you are right, I should have remembered that. Early releases of
    11.23 were indeed IA-only. OK, I'll actually look up the facts instead
    of relying on hazy memory:

    PA support was added to v2 (11.23) in the September 2004 release.

    Support for 11.22 was removed from Ignite-UX in Version C.6.5, December
    2005.

    A great deal of HP-UX release history (back to late 2001) can be gleaned
    from the Ignite-UX Supported Versions document available at
    http://docs.hp.com/en/IUX/docs/Supported_Versions.pdf

    Al

  8. Re: HP-UX 11i on IA64 Backup

    Al Miller wrote:
    > Ah, yes you are right, I should have remembered that. Early
    > releases of 11.23 were indeed IA-only. OK, I'll actually look up the
    > facts instead of relying on hazy memory:

    Nah, that wouldn't be any fun

    rick jones