how to start script in 30 seconds - HP UX

This is a discussion on how to start script in 30 seconds - HP UX ; I guess my users are impatient. I'm trying to use a script that uses the 'at' command to start scripts. I use at now + 1 minutes ../startscripts ctrld now but when I replace 1 minutes with 0.5 minutes or ...

  1. how to start script in 30 seconds

    I guess my users are impatient. I'm trying to use a script that uses
    the 'at' command to start scripts. I use
    at now + 1 minutes
    ../startscripts
    ctrld

    now but when I replace 1 minutes with 0.5 minutes or 30 seconds I get
    a bad date specification.

    What the alternative?

    Mike

  2. Re: how to start script in 30 seconds

    mmccaws2 wrote:
    > I guess my users are impatient. I'm trying to use a script that uses
    > the 'at' command to start scripts. I use
    > at now + 1 minutes
    > ./startscripts
    > ctrld
    >
    > now but when I replace 1 minutes with 0.5 minutes or 30 seconds I get
    > a bad date specification.
    >
    > What the alternative?
    >
    > Mike

    sleep 30 && ./startscripts &

    --
    Michael Tosch @ hp : com

  3. Re: how to start script in 30 seconds

    On Apr 17, 12:37 pm, Michael Tosch
    wrote:
    > mmccaws2 wrote:
    > > I guess my users are impatient. I'm trying to use a script that uses
    > > the 'at' command to start scripts. I use
    > > at now + 1 minutes
    > > ./startscripts
    > > ctrld

    > > now but when I replace 1 minutes with 0.5 minutes or 30 seconds I get
    > > a bad date specification.

    > > What the alternative?

    > > Mike

    > sleep 30 && ./startscripts &
    >
    > --
    > Michael Tosch @ hp : com

    Oh but I won't be able to log off.

  4. Re: how to start script in 30 seconds

    mmccaws2 wrote:
    > On Apr 17, 12:37 pm, Michael Tosch
    > wrote:
    > > mmccaws2 wrote:
    > > > I guess my users are impatient. I'm trying to use a script that uses
    > > > the 'at' command to start scripts. I use
    > > > at now + 1 minutes
    > > > ./startscripts
    > > > ctrld

    > > > now but when I replace 1 minutes with 0.5 minutes or 30 seconds I get
    > > > a bad date specification.

    > > > What the alternative?

    > > > Mike

    > > sleep 30 && ./startscripts &
    > >
    > > --
    > > Michael Tosch @ hp : com

    > Oh but I won't be able to log off.

    nohup(1)

  5. Re: how to start script in 30 seconds

    On Apr 17, 1:37 pm, Frank Slootweg wrote:
    > mmccaws2 wrote:
    > > On Apr 17, 12:37 pm, Michael Tosch
    > > wrote:

    > > > sleep 30 && ./startscripts &

    > > > --
    > > > Michael Tosch @ hp : com

    > > Oh but I won't be able to log off.

    > nohup(1)

    so there is no way to use the 'at now +' command options? maybe I can
    query the time add thirty seconds then initiate the at command.

    Mike

  6. Re: how to start script in 30 seconds

    On Apr 17, 1:46 pm, mmccaws2 wrote:
    > On Apr 17, 1:37 pm, Frank Slootweg wrote:
    >

    > > mmccaws2 wrote:

    > > > Oh but I won't be able to log off.

    > > nohup(1)

    > so there is no way to use the 'at now +' command options? maybe I can
    > query the time add thirty seconds then initiate the at command.
    >
    > Mike

    while looking at man at again i see
    at -f $HOME/future -t201312271220.00
    is there a way of generating the date output similar to the format
    used in the example
    [year][month][day][24 hour][minute].[sec] + 30 sec.

    Mike

  7. Re: how to start script in 30 seconds

    mmccaws2 wrote:
    > On Apr 17, 1:37 pm, Frank Slootweg wrote:
    > > mmccaws2 wrote:

    > > > Oh but I won't be able to log off.

    > > nohup(1)

    > so there is no way to use the 'at now +' command options? maybe I can
    > query the time add thirty seconds then initiate the at command.

    If you're really doing it the way you're saying, you can just do:

    at now
    sleep 30
    ../startscripts
    ctrld

    But you said "I'm trying to use a script that uses the 'at' command to
    start scripts.". If you really are using a *script* that uses the 'at'
    command, then you will have to insert the "sleep 30" either in the
    invoking script or the invoked script. However your example is not a
    script, but commands entered at the command line (in a script you can't
    have commands after the "at" command and you can't have a ctrld (well
    you can do *similar* things, but not those exact things)).

    BTW, IIRC "at now", i.e. without '+ ...' can sometimes give problems
    because the imaginary time 'now' has already passed when at(1) actually
    executes. IIRC, the at(1) manual page has another command which is
    essentially a "at now" but without the mentioned problem. IIRC, that
    other command is 'batch'.

  8. Re: how to start script in 30 seconds

    mmccaws2 wrote:

    > is there a way of generating the date output similar to the format
    > [year][month][day][24 hour][minute].[sec] + 30 sec.

    date +%Y%m%d%H%M.%S
    You'll have to figure out how to add 30.

  9. Re: how to start script in 30 seconds

    mmccaws2 wrote:
    > On Apr 17, 12:37 pm, Michael Tosch
    > wrote:
    >> mmccaws2 wrote:
    >>> I guess my users are impatient. I'm trying to use a script that uses
    >>> the 'at' command to start scripts. I use
    >>> at now + 1 minutes
    >>> ./startscripts
    >>> ctrld
    >>> now but when I replace 1 minutes with 0.5 minutes or 30 seconds I get
    >>> a bad date specification.
    >>> What the alternative?
    >>> Mike

    >> sleep 30 && ./startscripts &
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Tosch @ hp : com

    > Oh but I won't be able to log off.

    (sleep 30 && ./startscripts &) /dev/null 2>&1

    --
    Michael Tosch @ hp : com

  10. Re: how to start script in 30 seconds

    mmccaws2 writes:

    > I guess my users are impatient. I'm trying to use a script that uses
    > the 'at' command to start scripts. I use
    > at now + 1 minutes
    > ./startscripts
    > ctrld
    >
    > now but when I replace 1 minutes with 0.5 minutes or 30 seconds I get
    > a bad date specification.
    >
    > What the alternative?

    Besides reading "man at" users could use "man batch".

    > Mike

  11. Re: how to start script in 30 seconds

    Dennis Handly writes:

    > mmccaws2 wrote:
    >
    >> is there a way of generating the date output similar to the format
    >> [year][month][day][24 hour][minute].[sec] + 30 sec.

    > date +%Y%m%d%H%M.%S
    > You'll have to figure out how to add 30.

    perl -e 'print scalar(localtime(time + 30)), "\n"'
    or
    perl -e 'use POSIX; print scalar(strftime("%Y%m%d%H%M.%S", localtime(time + 30))), "\n"'

    Ulrich

+ Reply to Thread