Official Time Server - HP UX

This is a discussion on Official Time Server - HP UX ; Hello - Apparently, cupertino.cns.hp.com is no longer a valid time server system. Anyone know if there is an official list of company name servers?? Thanks. -- Karen Java Compilers and Tools Lab...

  1. Official Time Server

    --
    Karen
    Java Compilers and Tools Lab

  2. Re: Official Time Server

    meant to say official list of "time servers"

    "karen halloran" wrote in message news:fsjg61$3g6$1@usenet01.boi.hp.com...

    Hello -

    Apparently, cupertino.cns.hp.com is no longer a valid time server system. Anyone know if there is an official list of company name servers?? Thanks.

    --
    Karen
    Java Compilers and Tools Lab

  3. Re: Official Time Server

    karen halloran wrote:
    > meant to say official list of "time servers"
    >

    > "karen halloran" > > wrote in message
    >
    > Hello -
    >
    > Apparently, cupertino.cns.hp.com is no longer a valid time server
    > system. Anyone know if there is an official list of company name
    > servers?? Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Karen
    > Java Compilers and Tools Lab

    Karen,

    http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Serv...OneTimeServers

    Here you find a list of all Public ntp servers with some info like:
    open access/restricted access, conact email.

    Stratum one is an indication the time signal is very accurate.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  4. Re: Official Time Server

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 23:29:22 +0100, Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
    >karen halloran wrote:
    >> meant to say official list of "time servers"
    >>

    >> "karen halloran" >> > wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hello -
    >>
    >> Apparently, cupertino.cns.hp.com is no longer a valid time server
    >> system. Anyone know if there is an official list of company name
    >> servers?? Thanks.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Karen
    >> Java Compilers and Tools Lab
    >>

    >Karen,
    >

    >http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Serv...OneTimeServers

    Why pick a stratum 1 server? Most people don't need it and should pick
    a stratum 2 server.

    Quote from http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Serv...esOfEngagement :
    "As the load on the hosts supporting NTP primary (stratum 1) time service
    is heavy and always increasing, clients should avoid using the primary
    servers whenever possible. In most cases the accuracy of the NTP
    secondary (stratum 2) servers is only slightly degraded relative to the
    primary servers and, as a group, the secondary servers may be just as
    reliable."

    --
    Maurice

  5. Re: Official Time Server

    Maurice Janssen wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 23:29:22 +0100, Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
    >
    >>karen halloran wrote:
    >>
    >>>meant to say official list of "time servers"
    >>>

    >>> "karen halloran" >>> > wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Hello -
    >>>
    >>> Apparently, cupertino.cns.hp.com is no longer a valid time server
    >>> system. Anyone know if there is an official list of company name
    >>> servers?? Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Karen
    >>> Java Compilers and Tools Lab
    >>>

    >>Karen,
    >>

    >>http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Serv...OneTimeServers

    > Why pick a stratum 1 server? Most people don't need it and should pick
    > a stratum 2 server.
    >
    > Quote from http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Serv...esOfEngagement :
    > "As the load on the hosts supporting NTP primary (stratum 1) time service
    > is heavy and always increasing, clients should avoid using the primary
    > servers whenever possible. In most cases the accuracy of the NTP
    > secondary (stratum 2) servers is only slightly degraded relative to the
    > primary servers and, as a group, the secondary servers may be just as
    > reliable."

    Maurice,

    I agree that it a more polite way, but some servers on the stratum 2
    list are in fact stratum 16. I tested this with some servers in my
    timezone and ntpq -p for a couple of minutes and the stratum counter did
    not drop. These stratum 16 servers did have last update records of 2004.

    To avoid Karen getting a bad time signal I pointed out the stratum 1
    server list.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  6. Re: Official Time Server

    Maurice Janssen wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 23:29:22 +0100, Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
    >
    >>karen halloran wrote:
    >>
    >>>meant to say official list of "time servers"
    >>>

    >>> "karen halloran" >>> > wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Hello -
    >>>
    >>> Apparently, cupertino.cns.hp.com is no longer a valid time server
    >>> system. Anyone know if there is an official list of company name
    >>> servers?? Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Karen
    >>> Java Compilers and Tools Lab
    >>>

    >>Karen,
    >>

    >>http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Serv...OneTimeServers

    > Why pick a stratum 1 server? Most people don't need it and should pick
    > a stratum 2 server.
    >
    > Quote from http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Serv...esOfEngagement :
    > "As the load on the hosts supporting NTP primary (stratum 1) time service
    > is heavy and always increasing, clients should avoid using the primary
    > servers whenever possible. In most cases the accuracy of the NTP
    > secondary (stratum 2) servers is only slightly degraded relative to the
    > primary servers and, as a group, the secondary servers may be just as
    > reliable."

    Maurice,

    It is a polite way to go, but not all servers on the stratum 2 list are
    really stratum 2. Some are stratum 16 and I learned in a computer
    training that a stratum 10 or higher signal might be too unaccurate.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  7. Re: Official Time Server

    "karen halloran" writes:

    > Hello -
    >
    > Apparently, cupertino.cns.hp.com is no longer a valid time server system.
    > Anyone know if there is an official list of company name servers?? Thanks.

    Nameservers or time servers?

    > --
    > Karen
    > Java Compilers and Tools Lab