Boot Block - HP UX

This is a discussion on Boot Block - HP UX ; I just had to replace an 8G drive in a B series workstation. These machines have 2 drives in them set up using LVM and software mirroring. I was able to et the replacement drive to remirror OK, but I ...

  1. Boot Block

    I just had to replace an 8G drive in a B series workstation. These
    machines have 2 drives in them set up using LVM and software mirroring. I
    was able to et the replacement drive to remirror OK, but I recall from the
    original build out of these machines, many many ears ago, that when i was
    testing this I could not get the machine to boot with one of the 2 drive
    removed. Turned out that both SCSI ID 5, and 6 (the 2 internal drives)
    needed to have the "boot block" on them

    How do I make certain that this replacement drive gets this installed?

    The OS is 10.20, if that matters.

    neither liberty nor safety."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

  2. Re: Boot Block

  3. Re: Boot Block

    Stan Brown writes:

    > I just had to replace an 8G drive in a B series workstation. These
    > machines have 2 drives in them set up using LVM and software mirroring. I
    > was able to et the replacement drive to remirror OK, but I recall from the
    > original build out of these machines, many many ears ago, that when i was
    > testing this I could not get the machine to boot with one of the 2 drive
    > removed. Turned out that both SCSI ID 5, and 6 (the 2 internal drives)
    > needed to have the "boot block" on them
    >
    > How do I make certain that this replacement drive gets this installed?

    pvcreate -B I'd guess (then mkboot, then lvlnboot, etc). See the chapter about
    mirroring a boot disk...

    > The OS is 10.20, if that matters.
    >

    > --
    > "They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve
    > neither liberty nor safety."
    > -- Benjamin Franklin

+ Reply to Thread