dde debugger executable - HP UX

This is a discussion on dde debugger executable - HP UX ; I have used the sample prog that "comes with" the dde debugger. It's in a file called average.C in /opt/langtools/dde/examples just as the manual says. I compiled it as so: aCC -g -o average average.C and I then invoke the ...

  1. dde debugger executable

    I have used the sample prog that "comes with" the
    dde debugger. It's in a file called average.C in
    /opt/langtools/dde/examples just as the manual says.

    I compiled it as so:

    aCC -g -o average average.C

    and I then invoke the debugger so:

    dde average

    It starts up, it shows the source code, it seems to have
    a break point at the first executable line.

    But in the line in the debugger GUI where it says
    executable, it says a.out instead of average.

    And it won't respond to clicking on Step.

    If I change the name of the executable to a.out, and
    invoke it as dde a.out, then it comes up with a.out in
    the debugger, and happily debugs it.

    How can I convince dde that it is debugging the
    executable it is debugging?
    Socks

  2. Re: dde debugger executable

    Puppet_Sock wrote:
    > I have used the sample prog that "comes with" the
    > dde debugger.

    Why are you even thinking of using obsolete DDE?
    You should be using wdb or wdb-gui. You can download them for free:
    http://www.hp.com/go/wdb

  3. Re: dde debugger executable

    On Mar 18, 11:01*pm, Dennis Handly wrote:
    > Puppet_Sock wrote:
    > > I have used the sample prog that "comes with" the
    > > dde debugger.

    > Why are you even thinking of using obsolete DDE?
    > You should be using wdb or wdb-gui. *You can download them for free:http://www.hp.com/go/wdb

    `Cuz I stepped into the project after the guy who started it went
    away.

    Will look at wdb. Thanks.
    Socks

  4. Re: dde debugger executable

    On Mar 19, 10:04*am, Puppet_Sock wrote:
    > On Mar 18, 11:01*pm, Dennis Handly wrote:
    >
    > > Puppet_Sock wrote:
    > > > I have used the sample prog that "comes with" the
    > > > dde debugger.

    > > Why are you even thinking of using obsolete DDE?
    > > You should be using wdb or wdb-gui. *You can download them for free:http://www.hp.com/go/wdb

    > `Cuz I stepped into the project after the guy who started it went
    > away.
    >
    > Will look at wdb. Thanks.

    Whoo Hoo! The wdb debugger is already installed on our system.
    Ten minutes with it and I've progressed more than several days of
    struggling with dde.

    Thanks muchly Dennis.
    Socks

+ Reply to Thread