zx2000 dies with unexpected trap - HP UX

This is a discussion on zx2000 dies with unexpected trap - HP UX ; Hello, I bought a zx2000 almost 2 years ago running HP-UX 11iv2 without problems. Now we've been moving our equiptment from a normal office to a data center and while it worked out well for most machines this zx2000 has ...

  1. zx2000 dies with unexpected trap

    Hello,

    I bought a zx2000 almost 2 years ago running HP-UX 11iv2 without problems.
    Now we've been moving our equiptment from a normal office to a data center
    and while it worked out well for most machines this zx2000 has started to
    die one day after.
    I'm sure it's due to this movement but at this point I have no idea what is
    broken.

    When it starts up it runs through the initialization process until the 2nd
    light diode starts to blink red.

    On screen I get the following:

    7 0 0x00006B 0x000000000000001E unexpected trap
    7 0 0x000066 0x000000000000001E trap taken, number in ext PE
    7 0 0x00003C 0x0000000000005A00 trap taken, offset in ext PE

    Can anyone give me a hint of what might be going on?

    Thanks.

    -- Henrik

  2. Re: zx2000 dies with unexpected trap

    I figured out what the problem was:

    I was using a ps2 keyboard + mouse and then a ps2 to usb converter. DON'T do
    that!

    It took me one week to figure out traveling from the data center to our
    office and back again thinking it was a loose connection with the mainboard
    or perhaps ram.

    It would have been so much easier to have a "bad keyboard error" rather than
    a lot of blinking lights and obscure error codes.

    Anyway the hardware wasn't defective and a plain usb keyboard worked so much
    better.

    -- Henrik

  3. Re: zx2000 dies with unexpected trap

    "Henrik Goldman" wrote:

    > I was using a ps2 keyboard + mouse and then a ps2 to
    > usb converter.

    Which one?

    HP sells one for this use (A7782A, which used to be the
    high-power "Y-Mouse", OEM'd from P.I.Engineering,
    with flash settings specific to HP-UX). The current
    product photo I don't recognize.

    I can tell you that at the time the A7782A was originally
    sourced, no other USB-PS/2 adaptor worked properly
    on PA-RISC or Itanium workstations.

  4. Re: zx2000 dies with unexpected trap

    Hi Bob,

    > I can tell you that at the time the A7782A was originally
    > sourced, no other USB-PS/2 adaptor worked properly
    > on PA-RISC or Itanium workstations.

    Thank you for the info. We worked around this by buying a new kvm switch
    that supported USB directly. This helped on less cables anyway and it solved
    the problem at the same time.

    -- Henrik

  5. Re: zx2000 dies with unexpected trap

    Its True !!!!! Thx for info... I'm use itanium RX4640. This info is
    very2 help me, iam go home at 2.00 AM because that. Because this
    machine is very important for my company ... I'm not yet backup the
    data. Hahaha...

    HP is queer... prhhppphhh....

    Thx Henrik

    On Mar 22, 3:15*am, "Henrik Goldman" wrote:
    > I figured out what the problem was:
    >
    > I was using a ps2 keyboard + mouse and then a ps2 to usb converter. DON'T do
    > that!
    >
    > It took me one week to figure out traveling from the data center to our
    > office and back again thinking it was a loose connection with the mainboard
    > or perhaps ram.
    >
    > It would have been so much easier to have a "bad keyboard error" rather than
    > a lot of blinking lights and obscure error codes.
    >
    > Anyway the hardware wasn't defective and a plain usb keyboard worked so much
    > better.
    >
    > -- Henrik

+ Reply to Thread