rx2600 with cache problem, won't boot - HP UX

This is a discussion on rx2600 with cache problem, won't boot - HP UX ; Let me start by saying that I have about 20 years experience with PA-RISC workstations but this is the first Itanium server I've touched. I'm getting the following errors: Alert Level 3: Warning Keyword: MEM_CACHE_LINE_0_WR_RD_FAILED Memory ECC normal write/read test ...

  1. rx2600 with cache problem, won't boot

    Let me start by saying that I have about 20 years experience with
    PA-RISC workstations but this is the first Itanium server I've touched.

    I'm getting the following errors:

    Alert Level 3: Warning
    Keyword: MEM_CACHE_LINE_0_WR_RD_FAILED
    Memory ECC normal write/read test failed

    Alert Level 3: Warning
    Keyword: BOOT_CPU_LATE_TEST_FAIL
    CPU failed late selftest

    Alert Level 3: Warning
    Keyword: BOOT_CPU_CONFIG_FAIL
    CPU struct init failed
    Logged by: System Firmware 1

    When I then try to run a CO command from the monitor to start a console
    on the main processors it fails (no shock there!) and hangs until I
    press Ctrl-B to return to the monitor cpu.

    I've tried physically swapping the two 1.06GHz cpus over but it makes no
    difference, is this referring to an external cache I wonder?

    The machine beeps twice on power up, but I don't think that's related.

    Could this actually be a problem with the main (12Gb) ram? I've reseated
    all of it.

    Thanks in advance :-)

    Email: john@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
    Web : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
    www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price

  2. Re: rx2600 with cache problem, won't boot

    In comp.sys.hp.hardware John Burns wrote:
    > I've tried physically swapping the two 1.06GHz cpus over but it
    > makes no difference, is this referring to an external cache I
    > wonder?

    Thusfar, none of the Itanium CPUs support an external cache a la
    PA-RISC. The caches to date have all be on-chip.

    The rest of it is rather beyond my experience, but it sounds like you
    have a very sick system. There may or may not be some helpful manuals
    in docs.hp.com to further explain those alert messages.

    rick jones

  3. Re: rx2600 with cache problem, won't boot

    "John Burns" wrote in message
    > I'm getting the following errors:
    >
    > Alert Level 3: Warning
    > Keyword: MEM_CACHE_LINE_0_WR_RD_FAILED
    > Memory ECC normal write/read test failed
    >
    > Alert Level 3: Warning
    > Keyword: BOOT_CPU_LATE_TEST_FAIL
    > CPU failed late selftest
    >
    > Alert Level 3: Warning
    > Keyword: BOOT_CPU_CONFIG_FAIL
    > CPU struct init failed
    > Logged by: System Firmware 1
    >
    > When I then try to run a CO command from the monitor to start a console
    > on the main processors it fails (no shock there!) and hangs until I
    > press Ctrl-B to return to the monitor cpu.
    >
    > I've tried physically swapping the two 1.06GHz cpus over but it makes no
    > difference, is this referring to an external cache I wonder?
    >
    > The machine beeps twice on power up, but I don't think that's related.
    >
    > Could this actually be a problem with the main (12Gb) ram? I've reseated
    > all of it.

    Hello,

    have you tried to boot with minimal configuration? What is FW version, MP,
    BMC? The most suspicious component would be systemboard, but sometimes
    messages can be misleading.

    BR,
    Mario.

  4. Re: rx2600 with cache problem, won't boot

    Did you also ask this in ITRC? If so, it turned-out to be a bad DIMM
    yes?

    rick jones
    (wants the usenet archives to have a problem resolution