Take a drive with vxfs file system from one box and access it onanother - HP UX

This is a discussion on Take a drive with vxfs file system from one box and access it onanother - HP UX ; I have to access a file on a hard drive that had a vxfs file system and was in an HP 11.11 box. I can't log in to the original box, so I've put the drive in another box with ...

  1. Take a drive with vxfs file system from one box and access it onanother

    I have to access a file on a hard drive that had a vxfs file system
    and was in an HP 11.11 box. I can't
    log in to the original box, so I've put the drive in another box with
    11.11. I can see the drive in sam, I can see
    that the device file is /dev/dsk/c2t6d0, but how do I get the file
    system on this box to see what's on that drive?
    I tried to mount it as vxfs, but it told me that it wasn't a valid
    vxfs file system. The drive initially showed as "Unused" in sam. I
    designated it as "LVM", like the boot drive, and now I see a
    "Configure" option, but I hesitate
    to use it for fear of destroying the files on the drive. How can I
    mount the logical volumes from that drive so I can see and edit the
    files now that the drive is in this new box?

  2. Re: Take a drive with vxfs file system from one box and access it on another

    pedro wrote:

    >I have to access a file on a hard drive that had a vxfs file system
    >and was in an HP 11.11 box. I can't
    >log in to the original box, so I've put the drive in another box with
    >11.11. I can see the drive in sam, I can see
    >that the device file is /dev/dsk/c2t6d0, but how do I get the file
    >system on this box to see what's on that drive?
    >I tried to mount it as vxfs, but it told me that it wasn't a valid
    >vxfs file system. The drive initially showed as "Unused" in sam. I
    >designated it as "LVM", like the boot drive, and now I see a
    >"Configure" option, but I hesitate
    >to use it for fear of destroying the files on the drive. How can I
    >mount the logical volumes from that drive so I can see and edit the
    >files now that the drive is in this new box?

    Should be able to vgimport it.

    man vgimport.

    Regards,

    Ted.
    | Ted Linnell |
    | |
    | Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

  3. Re: Take a drive with vxfs file system from one box and access it onanother

    On Jan 24, 4:18*pm, pedro wrote:
    > I have to access a file on a hard drive that had a vxfs file system
    > and was in an HP 11.11 box. I can't
    > log in to the original box, so I've put the drive in another box with
    > 11.11. I can see the drive in sam, I can see
    > that the device file is /dev/dsk/c2t6d0, but how do I get the file
    > system on this box to see what's on that drive?
    > I tried to mount it as vxfs, but it told me that it wasn't a valid
    > vxfs file system. The drive initially showed as "Unused" in sam. I
    > designated it as "LVM", like the boot drive, and now I see a
    > "Configure" option, but I hesitate
    > to use it for fear of destroying the files on the drive. How can I
    > mount the logical volumes from that drive so I can see and edit the
    > files now that the drive is in this new box?

    *****Copy Volume Group to new server (moving disk)*************

    Moving a disk to a different server
    vgchange -a n /dev/vg_name
    vgexport -p -v -m /tmp/map_file vg_name
    If OK, repeat command omitting the -p flag
    create volume group directory on the target server, mkdir /dev/vg_name
    and mknod the group file
    mkdir /dev/vg0?
    cd /dev/vg0?
    mknod group c 64 0x0?0000
    Transfer /tmp/map_file to the target server
    vgimport -p -v -m /tmp/map_file /dev/vg_name /dev/dsk/device
    If OK, repeat the command without the -p flag

    If you don't have the map file I believe the command is:
    vgimport -p -v -s /dev/vg_name /dev/dsk/device

    After you create the group file and whatnot. But check the man page,
    I've been wrong before!

    EC

  4. Re: Take a drive with vxfs file system from one box and access it onanother

    Thanks for the responses. I'm back in business. After vgimport, I had
    to vgchange to make the new volume group available. Also needed
    an fsck of the logical volume I wanted to access. But then I was able
    to mount it and edit the file and reuse the drive in its original box.

    For anyone attempting this, man lvm is a good overview.

+ Reply to Thread