HP-UX 11.31 idisk or Ignite-UX creates bad Protective MBR (GPT) - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP-UX 11.31 idisk or Ignite-UX creates bad Protective MBR (GPT) - HP UX ; Hi! First I thought the UEFI 2.1 specification had an error demanding the "StartingCHS" value be 0x000200 to correspond to LBA 1 (Section 5.2.2, Table 12). But it seems that sector counting starts at 1 (not 0), and the value ...

  1. HP-UX 11.31 idisk or Ignite-UX creates bad Protective MBR (GPT)

    Hi!

    First I thought the UEFI 2.1 specification had an error demanding the
    "StartingCHS" value be 0x000200 to correspond to LBA 1 (Section 5.2.2, Table
    12). But it seems that sector counting starts at 1 (not 0), and the value is
    actually correct (LBA counting starts at 0).

    (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder-head-sector for details)

    So HP-UX 11.31 (September 2007) idisk 1.44 writes the wrong value (0x000100)
    for StartingCHS in the EFI Protective MBR. Unfortunately, "idisk -l" does not
    display any details about the MBR, so nobody would notice the problem.

    (The problem is not serious, but some bad DOS-ish application might create a
    partition of one sector in size that exactly occupies the space of the GUID
    Partition Tabel Header. Anyway, it would be good if HP would follow the
    standards)

    Enjoy,
    Ulrich

  2. Re: HP-UX 11.31 idisk or Ignite-UX creates bad Protective MBR (GPT)

    I wrote some nonsense:

    > Hi!

    [...]
    > (The problem is not serious, but some bad DOS-ish application might create a
    > partition of one sector in size that exactly occupies the space of the GUID
    > Partition Tabel Header. (...)

    Of course that's nonsense: idisk's partition is one sector too big at the
    start, allocating the MBR's sector for the partition, and not too small at the
    beginning.

    > Enjoy,
    > Ulrich

+ Reply to Thread