Clone root disk - HP UX

This is a discussion on Clone root disk - HP UX ; Hi Today I have question about clone root disk on HP-UX 11.00 if is possible and how i can clone my root disk,?...

  1. Clone root disk

    Hi

    Today I have question about clone root disk on HP-UX 11.00 if is possible
    and how i can clone my root disk,?

  2. Re: Clone root disk

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 19:07:05 +0100, "yazoo"
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Today I have question about clone root disk on HP-UX 11.00 if is possible
    >and how i can clone my root disk,?

    The simplist way would be to use Ignite-UX - make_tape_recovery or
    make_net_recovery. Ignite is freely available from software.hp.com.
    make_tape_recovery is the most straight-forward to use. There's good
    documentation online at docs.hp.com.

    You would create a bootable recovery image, and then install it back
    onto the system - specifying a different disk than the original boot
    disk.

    It's always a good idea to have bootable recovery archives available
    for system recovery.

    Eric Stahl

  3. Re: Clone root disk

    In article <6cf0p31iffq1frirdnjqulagqhhm58fef9@4ax.com>,
    Eric Stahl writes:
    > On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 19:07:05 +0100, "yazoo"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>Today I have question about clone root disk on HP-UX 11.00 if is possible
    >>and how i can clone my root disk,?
    >>

    > The simplist way would be to use Ignite-UX - make_tape_recovery or
    > make_net_recovery. Ignite is freely available from software.hp.com.
    > make_tape_recovery is the most straight-forward to use. There's good
    > documentation online at docs.hp.com.
    >
    > You would create a bootable recovery image, and then install it back
    > onto the system - specifying a different disk than the original boot
    > disk.
    >
    > It's always a good idea to have bootable recovery archives available
    > for system recovery.
    >

    > Eric Stahl

    Hello,

    you could simply mirror your root disk. This will prevent a crash in case of hardware failure. It will not protect against accidently deleteing files etc.
    E.g pvcreate -fB /dev/c0t1d0, mkboot /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0, vgextend vg00 /dev/dsk/c0d1d0, mkboot -a "hpux -lq" /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0 (and c0d0d0), lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol1 etc. up to lvol8, lvlnboot -R, vi /stand/bootconf.

    Even simpler is a dd of your whole disk to another identical disk (if your root volume group is NOT mirrored). dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0 of=/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0 bs=1024 (for example). In case of a failure you would just physically swap your root disks.

    Yours, Hans Martin.

  4. Re: Clone root disk

    yazoo wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Today I have question about clone root disk on HP-UX 11.00 if is possible
    > and how i can clone my root disk,?

    Sorry, not what you want. But for 11i V2 & V3 you can use DRD...

    hp.com/go/drd

    --vishwas.

+ Reply to Thread