Max Number of Telnet sessions being reached - HP UX

This is a discussion on Max Number of Telnet sessions being reached - HP UX ; When a HPUX system that we have reaches 60 users, no more people can telnet. The guy administering the system changed some kernal parameters, and it just changes the message that we get. Now the message says "telnetd: /dev/pts/t9 no ...

  1. Max Number of Telnet sessions being reached

    When a HPUX system that we have reaches 60 users, no more people can
    telnet. The guy administering the system changed some kernal
    parameters, and it just changes the message that we get. Now the
    message says "telnetd: /dev/pts/t9 no such file or directory"

    Does this mean that we don't have enough pseudo terminal device files?
    Do I need to run insf to create the missing files? If so, could I
    screw things up by running this? Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Max Number of Telnet sessions being reached

    yorgle7@yahoo.com wrote:
    > When a HPUX system that we have reaches 60 users, no more people can
    > telnet. The guy administering the system changed some kernal
    > parameters, and it just changes the message that we get. Now the
    > message says "telnetd: /dev/pts/t9 no such file or directory"
    >
    > Does this mean that we don't have enough pseudo terminal device files?
    > Do I need to run insf to create the missing files? If so, could I
    > screw things up by running this? Thanks in advance.

    Yes. Run

    # insf -v -e -s

    excerpt from insf(1M).

    ~~
    -s nstrpty Install nstrpty slave-side stream special files
    for the pts driver. nstrpty is a decimal number.
    This option only applies to the pts special file
    installation.

    This option is effective only if the -e option is
    specified or if an appropriate device class or
    driver is specified with a -C or -d option.

    If this option is omitted, nstrpty defaults to 60.

    ~~

    --vishwas.

  3. Re: Max Number of Telnet sessions being reached

    On Jan 10, 12:50 am, Vishwas Pai wrote:
    > yorg...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > When a HPUX system that we have reaches 60 users, no more people can
    > > telnet. The guy administering the system changed some kernal
    > > parameters, and it just changes the message that we get. Now the
    > > message says "telnetd: /dev/pts/t9 no such file or directory"

    > > Does this mean that we don't have enough pseudo terminal device files?
    > > Do I need to run insf to create the missing files? If so, could I
    > > screw things up by running this? Thanks in advance.

    > Yes. Run
    >
    > # insf -v -e -s
    >
    > excerpt from insf(1M).
    >
    > ~~
    > -s nstrpty Install nstrpty slave-side stream special files
    > for the pts driver. nstrpty is a decimal number.
    > This option only applies to the pts special file
    > installation.
    >
    > This option is effective only if the -e option is
    > specified or if an appropriate device class or
    > driver is specified with a -C or -d option.
    >
    > If this option is omitted, nstrpty defaults to 60.
    >
    > ~~
    >
    > --vishwas.

    Thank you very much. It solved my problem. Any recommendations on a
    good book(s) or website(s) that cover how different parts of the OS
    work? I work more at the Database and Application level, but I'm going
    to need to know more about Unix, configuring the OS, etc. I've got
    enough knowledge to be dangerous, and would like to become less
    dangerous. I'll probably look towards getting two books, one that is
    basic. Sort of like a Dummy's book. And then another that goes into
    depth on things.

+ Reply to Thread