HPUX 64 and 32 - HP UX

This is a discussion on HPUX 64 and 32 - HP UX ; Hello all A simple question if during instalation HPUX i can choose 32 and 64 bit kernel, if I can't what I can do?, becasue I need both kernel on this same machine..Thank for infor Slawek...

  1. HPUX 64 and 32

    Hello all

    A simple question if during instalation HPUX i can choose 32 and 64 bit
    kernel, if I can't what I can do?, becasue I need both kernel on this same
    machine..Thank for infor

    Slawek

  2. Re: HPUX 64 and 32

    Slawomir Ksiazek wrote:
    > Hello all
    >
    > A simple question if during instalation HPUX i can choose 32 and 64 bit
    > kernel, if I can't what I can do?, becasue I need both kernel on this same
    > machine..Thank for infor

    Only on installations up through 11.11 which have 64-bit versions. No
    kernel after 11.11 is 32-bit, period. You'd want to check your hardware
    compatibility first... the older 32-bit kernels don't have drivers for
    most of the current chipsets/devices, so that would cause you problems.
    Note that if this is an IPF machine there's no chance... IPF never had
    a 32-bit kernel on HP-UX in the first place.

    My bigger question would be, why do you think you need a 32-bit kernel?
    The only possible valid reason I can think of would be because you want
    to write 32-bit kernel drivers (which should be really uncommon).
    The bitness of the kernel has no bearing on the application
    environments in general (obviously the 32-bit kernel doesn't support
    64-bit user space... but the 64-bit kernel will mix 32-bit and 64-bit
    applications all day... there's a lot of 32-bit binaries shipped on the
    OS still).

    Don

  3. Re: HPUX 64 and 32

    Slawomir Ksiazek wrote:
    > Hello all
    >
    > A simple question if during instalation HPUX i can choose 32 and 64 bit
    > kernel, if I can't what I can do?, becasue I need both kernel on this same
    > machine..Thank for infor

    Oh... and since I potentially missed the whole point of your question
    (sorry... just started the morning coffee), there is no way to have a
    single installation with both kernels present (too many differences in
    kernel configuration/management stuff). The only way to have both
    kernels on one machine would be to install the machine twice into
    different volumes and choose which one you want to run when you boot
    (i.e. dual boot the thing).

    Don

  4. Re: HPUX 64 and 32

    I need becasue I work in software lab where many teames write code for 32
    bit and 64 bit platform, and how you think how i can resolve my problem?

    Slawek

    Uzytkownik "Don Morris" napisal w wiadomosci
    news:kq2hj.6653$lo5.4607@newssvr19.news.prodigy.ne t...
    > Slawomir Ksiazek wrote:
    >> Hello all
    >>
    >> A simple question if during instalation HPUX i can choose 32 and 64 bit
    >> kernel, if I can't what I can do?, becasue I need both kernel on this
    >> same machine..Thank for infor
    >>

    > Only on installations up through 11.11 which have 64-bit versions. No
    > kernel after 11.11 is 32-bit, period. You'd want to check your hardware
    > compatibility first... the older 32-bit kernels don't have drivers for
    > most of the current chipsets/devices, so that would cause you problems.
    > Note that if this is an IPF machine there's no chance... IPF never had
    > a 32-bit kernel on HP-UX in the first place.
    >
    > My bigger question would be, why do you think you need a 32-bit kernel?
    > The only possible valid reason I can think of would be because you want
    > to write 32-bit kernel drivers (which should be really uncommon).
    > The bitness of the kernel has no bearing on the application
    > environments in general (obviously the 32-bit kernel doesn't support
    > 64-bit user space... but the 64-bit kernel will mix 32-bit and 64-bit
    > applications all day... there's a lot of 32-bit binaries shipped on the
    > OS still).
    >
    > Don

  5. Re: HPUX 64 and 32

    Don Morris writes:

    > Slawomir Ksiazek wrote:
    >> Hello all
    >>
    >> A simple question if during instalation HPUX i can choose 32 and 64 bit
    >> kernel, if I can't what I can do?, becasue I need both kernel on this same
    >> machine..Thank for infor
    >>

    > Oh... and since I potentially missed the whole point of your question
    > (sorry... just started the morning coffee), there is no way to have a
    > single installation with both kernels present (too many differences in
    > kernel configuration/management stuff). The only way to have both

    Actually, there probably is: You could copy hte kernel from a different
    machine under a different name into /stand. I'm not saying that this is a
    valid or supported configuration, but in prnciple it might work. Note that no
    updates will be provided to the non-stanbdard kernel then...

    > kernels on one machine would be to install the machine twice into
    > different volumes and choose which one you want to run when you boot
    > (i.e. dual boot the thing).

    OK, that would work, too.

    > Don

  6. Re: HPUX 64 and 32

    "yazoo" writes:

    > I need becasue I work in software lab where many teames write code for 32
    > bit and 64 bit platform, and how you think how i can resolve my problem?

    64-bit HP-UX can also run 32-bit applications, and IA64 can also run the older
    PA-RISC binaries (probably also 32 and 64 bit). It's not the very same as a
    native 32- or 64-bit system, however.

    Ulrich

    > Slawek

+ Reply to Thread