HP 9000 C8000 question - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP 9000 C8000 question - HP UX ; hello group, what would be a "good" price for a used C8000 in a reasonable configuration (i.e. not necessarily fully loaded with the latest and greatest stuff) on the hobbyist market ? And which is the minimum supported HP-UX version ...

  1. HP 9000 C8000 question

    hello group,

    what would be a "good" price for a used C8000
    in a reasonable configuration (i.e. not necessarily
    fully loaded with the latest and greatest stuff)
    on the hobbyist market ?
    And which is the minimum supported HP-UX version ?

    TIA

  2. Re: HP 9000 C8000 question

    * Michael Kraemer:

    > what would be a "good" price for a used C8000
    > in a reasonable configuration (i.e. not necessarily
    > fully loaded with the latest and greatest stuff)
    > on the hobbyist market ?

    Well, I can't tell you what a "good" price is but the market has still
    some demand for used c8000 systems, so they're not really at the
    hobbyists market yet. Here in Germany an average spec'd c8000 usually
    goes for ~2500EUR here, with entry level systems (ie 512MB, no gfx, no
    disk) usually go for something like 1700+EUR. Don't forget that the
    c8000 is the only current HP-UX workstation and thus the only upgrade
    path for older HP-UX workplaces if you want to keep the software, so
    unlike the c3xxx or the j-class there still is a market for them.

    Now the question is: is the c8000 worth the price over say a J6750 or
    any other similar cheap PA-RISC workstation? If it's just for hobbyist
    purpose I doubt that. Especially if you don't need the fastest 3D gfx
    (FireGL X2 aka Radeon X800 AGP) the older machines should fit hobbyist
    purposes quite well, especially for the price.

    > And which is the minimum supported HP-UX version ?

    IIRC, the minimum and only supported HP-UX version on the c8000 is 11i v1.

    Benjamin

  3. Re: HP 9000 C8000 question

    Benjamin Gawert schrieb:

    > Well, I can't tell you what a "good" price is

    well, I'm asking for the order of magnitude in the first place,
    10, 100 or 1000 Euro. Four digits may reflect the value
    of the machine but certainly are a bit steep for hobbyist use.

    > but the market has still
    > some demand for used c8000 systems, so they're not really at the
    > hobbyists market yet. Here in Germany an average spec'd c8000 usually
    > goes for ~2500EUR here, with entry level systems (ie 512MB, no gfx, no
    > disk) usually go for something like 1700+EUR.

    That's what I have suspected too, since these machines seem to be
    relatively recent (2004/2005 ?)
    and are on auction @ eBay for >6000 Euro.

    > Now the question is: is the c8000 worth the price over say a J6750 or
    > any other similar cheap PA-RISC workstation? If it's just for hobbyist
    > purpose I doubt that. Especially if you don't need the fastest 3D gfx
    > (FireGL X2 aka Radeon X800 AGP) the older machines should fit hobbyist
    > purposes quite well, especially for the price.

    I've been offered such a machine and I would like to know
    what I can negotiate :-)

    >> And which is the minimum supported HP-UX version ?

    > IIRC, the minimum and only supported HP-UX version on the c8000 is 11i v1.

    According to my inventory list I have some 11i "OE" CDs from 2001,
    which presumably are way too old :-(

    > Benjamin

    thanks

  4. Re: HP 9000 C8000 question

    * Michael Kraemer:

    >> Well, I can't tell you what a "good" price is

    > well, I'm asking for the order of magnitude in the first place,
    > 10, 100 or 1000 Euro. Four digits may reflect the value
    > of the machine but certainly are a bit steep for hobbyist use.

    Probably. At least for me the performance benefit of a c8000 over a say
    c3750 or j6750 simply isn't worth it for home use while at work we still
    have some c8000s running CATIA and such and occasionally buy additional
    ones.

    > That's what I have suspected too, since these machines seem to be
    > relatively recent (2004/2005 ?)
    > and are on auction @ eBay for >6000 Euro.

    Well, the ebay prices are riddiculous but generally they show the
    direction where the price level is. Real market value is probably 1/2 to
    1/3rd of what they are asking.

    > I've been offered such a machine and I would like to know
    > what I can negotiate :-)

    I doubt anyone here can give you an answer about that, First we don't
    know the specs, and we also don't know the seller (does he know what the
    machine is worth or does he just want to get rid of it? Do you want to
    give him a fair price or just the lowest amount possible? etc). And of
    course we don't know your budget, so all discussion about that is mood.
    There sometimes are cases where someone sells a still very valuable
    piece of hardware for a few bucks but today with internet everywhere
    this is more and more rare.

    Besides that, even if you get the machine say offered for 50% of its
    current market value I doubt that it's a good deal for you. I'm sure
    that in maybe 12-15 months the current fleet of c8000 returns from
    expired leasing contracts (most of these machines are on lease) which
    will lead to a severe price drop (usually 70-80%, sometimes more). The
    same has happened with basically all other workstations (HP and others)
    in the past. A good example is the c3750 which not long ago was very
    expensive even when used but now is basically worth nothing. Another
    point is that if you now pay say 1500 bucks for the c8000 you will have
    a hard time selling it for even close to that price because commercial
    customers usually just avoid buying anything from private owners due to
    warranty and invoice issues.

    So basically, it all depends on what this particular machine is worth
    for you, and if the seller agrees on that price point.

    > According to my inventory list I have some 11i "OE" CDs from 2001,
    > which presumably are way too old :-(

    *That* is probably the least difficult problem ;-)

    Benjamin, with several current HP-UX 11i v1 releases ;-)

+ Reply to Thread