HP-UX + TeXLive ? - HP UX

This is a discussion on HP-UX + TeXLive ? - HP UX ; hello experts, I'm currently trying to run TeXlive 2007 on HP-UX. While I've managed to complete the plain installation (after having fixed broken install scripts), I'm now stuck with missing library errors like $ latex /usr/lib/dld.sl: Can't open shared library: ...

  1. HP-UX + TeXLive ?

    hello experts,

    I'm currently trying to run TeXlive 2007 on HP-UX.
    While I've managed to complete the plain installation
    (after having fixed broken install scripts),
    I'm now stuck with missing library errors like

    $ latex
    /usr/lib/dld.sl: Can't open shared library:
    /afs/rnd.sas.com/@sys/usr/local/app/gnu/lib/libstdc++.sl.5
    /usr/lib/dld.sl: No such file or directory
    Abort(coredump)

    Other parts of the distribution give similar errors.
    Am I supposed to dig the net for all those weird sl's ?
    I have gcc installed and have tried to point SHLIB_PATH to some
    libstdc++.sl, but latex insists on the monster above.
    What gives ?

  2. Re: HP-UX + TeXLive ?

    Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > hello experts,

    > I'm currently trying to run TeXlive 2007 on HP-UX.
    > While I've managed to complete the plain installation
    > (after having fixed broken install scripts),
    > I'm now stuck with missing library errors like

    > $ latex
    > /usr/lib/dld.sl: Can't open shared library:
    > /afs/rnd.sas.com/@sys/usr/local/app/gnu/lib/libstdc++.sl.5
    > /usr/lib/dld.sl: No such file or directory
    > Abort(coredump)

    > Other parts of the distribution give similar errors.
    > Am I supposed to dig the net for all those weird sl's ?
    > I have gcc installed and have tried to point SHLIB_PATH to some
    > libstdc++.sl, but latex insists on the monster above.
    > What gives ?

    Probably wrong, but it feels like a hardcoded library name in the
    source somewhere?

    rick jones
    - Rick Jones

  3. Re: HP-UX + TeXLive ?

    Rick Jones schrieb:
    > Michael Kraemer wrote:
    >>$ latex
    >>/usr/lib/dld.sl: Can't open shared library:
    >>/afs/rnd.sas.com/@sys/usr/local/app/gnu/lib/libstdc++.sl.5
    >>/usr/lib/dld.sl: No such file or directory

    > Probably wrong, but it feels like a hardcoded library name in the
    > source somewhere?

    Probably right, but how can I override that ?
    SHLIB_PATH does not seem to be strong enough.
    I'm asking also because I've seen such weird
    sl-dependencies in HP-UX freeware quite often.
    It's really a pain to track down all those missing
    libraries. At times, when I'm fed up with that crap,
    I just rebuild the stuff statically. In case
    of latex, that would be a bit of a challenge.
    (I realize that today's HP-UX is probably not the prime
    target for such academic stuff, but I want all my boxes
    to run the stuff I'm used to)

  4. Re: HP-UX + TeXLive ?

    Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > Probably right, but how can I override that ?

    vi against the source code is where I would probably start. I got the
    impression from your initial post that you are compiling from source.
    You could also submit a request to the porting archives:

    http://hpux.connect.org.uk/

    or its mirrors.

    rick jones
    where do you want to be today?

  5. Re: HP-UX + TeXLive ?

    you might want to look at the "chatr" command.. IIRC it has options
    for changing how/where shared libs are loaded from

  6. Re: HP-UX + TeXLive ?

    Rick Jones schrieb:
    > Michael Kraemer wrote:
    >
    >>Probably right, but how can I override that ?

    > vi against the source code is where I would probably start. I got the
    > impression from your initial post that you are compiling from source.

    No (not yet).
    TeXLive is a huge package which comes shrink-wrapped
    for a variety of *IXes. The AIX binaries run out
    of the box, the HP-UX ones have this weird sl-dependency
    I'd like to override, preferrably by a "simple trick".
    The stuff is open source, but not easy to build,
    so I'd like to avoid it at this point.

  7. Re: HP-UX + TeXLive ?

    Michael Kraemer wrote:

    > I have gcc installed and have tried to point SHLIB_PATH to some
    > libstdc++.sl, but latex insists on the monster above.

    Did you try to enable SHLIB_PATH lookup by

    chatr +s enable /path/to/your/executable

    and then setting SHLIB_PATH to the directory where libstdc++.sl.5 is
    installed?

    --
    Lothar Paltins lptmp20@freenet.de

  8. Re: HP-UX + TeXLive ?

    Try patching the linker "ld(1) and linker tools cumulative patch" to
    the latest patch available.

  9. Re: HP-UX + TeXLive ?

    Lothar Paltins schrieb:
    > Michael Kraemer wrote:
    >
    >>I have gcc installed and have tried to point SHLIB_PATH to some
    >>libstdc++.sl, but latex insists on the monster above.

    > Did you try to enable SHLIB_PATH lookup by
    >
    > chatr +s enable /path/to/your/executable
    >
    > and then setting SHLIB_PATH to the directory where libstdc++.sl.5 is
    > installed?

    OK, this has worked out at least half way,
    SHLIB_PATH is now honoured.
    Unfortunately it still insists on version 5 of that library,
    I have "only" libstdc++.sl.6, and placing a softlink produces:

    /usr/lib/dld.sl: Invalid version for shared library:
    /nfs/local/1100/lib/libstdc++.sl.5
    /usr/lib/dld.sl: Exec format error
    Abort(coredump)

    :-(
    One would think shared library versioning to be upward compatible ?

  10. Re: HP-UX + TeXLive ?

    Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > Unfortunately it still insists on version 5 of that library,
    > I have "only" libstdc++.sl.6, and placing a softlink produces:
    > /usr/lib/dld.sl: Invalid version for shared library:
    > /nfs/local/1100/lib/libstdc++.sl.5
    > /usr/lib/dld.sl: Exec format error

    This indicates libstdc++.sl.5 is using the obsolete intra shlib versioning.

    > One would think shared library versioning to be upward compatible?

    But that's GNU for you. :-)

    There is no way to know. That versioning is so complex, perhaps it was
    removed in .6, so it isn't compatible.
    HP stopped using it and now uses SVR4 versioning, which numbers each
    shlib. (Unfortunately libcl forgot to remove it.)

+ Reply to Thread