Q: setprivgrp - HP UX

This is a discussion on Q: setprivgrp - HP UX ; Hi! A simple question: "man 1m setprivgrp" some how leaves the impression that changes made are persistent. Actually they are not. Does HP-UX provide a mechanism (/etc/rc.config.d/ maybe) to define _persistent_ changes (that are not gone after reboot)? /etc/privgrp is ...

  1. Q: setprivgrp

    Hi!

    A simple question: "man 1m setprivgrp" some how leaves the impression that
    changes made are persistent. Actually they are not. Does HP-UX provide a
    mechanism (/etc/rc.config.d/ maybe) to define _persistent_ changes (that are
    not gone after reboot)? /etc/privgrp is mentioned a default file to store
    information, but does any script actually use it?

    Regards,
    Ulrich

  2. Re: Q: setprivgrp

    On Dec 5, 8:16 am, Ulrich Windl
    wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > A simple question: "man 1m setprivgrp" some how leaves the impression that
    > changes made are persistent. Actually they are not. Does HP-UX provide a
    > mechanism (/etc/rc.config.d/ maybe) to define _persistent_ changes (that are
    > not gone after reboot)? /etc/privgrp is mentioned a default file to store
    > information, but does any script actually use it?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ulrich

    A little bit of "grep"ing around shows:

    /sbin/rc1.d/S400set_prvgrp -> /sbin/init.d/set_prvgrp

    and

    /sbin/init.d/set_prvgrp checks for the existence of /etc/privgroup and
    it runs /usr/sbin/setprivgrp using the file if found

  3. Re: Q: setprivgrp

    OldSchool writes:

    > On Dec 5, 8:16 am, Ulrich Windl
    > wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> A simple question: "man 1m setprivgrp" some how leaves the impression that
    >> changes made are persistent. Actually they are not. Does HP-UX provide a
    >> mechanism (/etc/rc.config.d/ maybe) to define _persistent_ changes (that are
    >> not gone after reboot)? /etc/privgrp is mentioned a default file to store
    >> information, but does any script actually use it?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Ulrich

    > A little bit of "grep"ing around shows:
    >
    > /sbin/rc1.d/S400set_prvgrp -> /sbin/init.d/set_prvgrp
    >
    > and
    >
    > /sbin/init.d/set_prvgrp checks for the existence of /etc/privgroup and
    > it runs /usr/sbin/setprivgrp using the file if found

    Hi!

    You are perfectly right: I had been looking only in /etc/rc.config.d!
    Still, the manual page setprivgrp(1m) could mention that. Otherwise it makes
    little sense to refer to file /etc/privgroup if one may supply any file name
    to option "-f". MHO...

    Regards,
    Ulrich

+ Reply to Thread