Q: non-core-dumping GNU EMacs on 11.31 IA64? - HP UX

This is a discussion on Q: non-core-dumping GNU EMacs on 11.31 IA64? - HP UX ; Hi, I've downloaded Emacs and the needed packages form the HP-UX porting center, but Emacs just dumps core when being started from a text terminal. For 11.23 I had a working Emacs. Do I really have to compile it for ...

  1. Q: non-core-dumping GNU EMacs on 11.31 IA64?

    Hi,

    I've downloaded Emacs and the needed packages form the HP-UX porting center,
    but Emacs just dumps core when being started from a text terminal. For 11.23 I
    had a working Emacs. Do I really have to compile it for myself, or is there a
    working version out?

    (I'm surprised that HP does not ship Emacs; no programmer should be without)

    Ulrich

  2. Re: Q: non-core-dumping GNU EMacs on 11.31 IA64?

    In article <87ir3pxrug.fsf@pc9454.klinik.uni-regensburg.de>, Ulrich Windl
    writes:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've downloaded Emacs and the needed packages form the HP-UX porting center,
    > but Emacs just dumps core when being started from a text terminal. For 11.23
    > had a working Emacs. Do I really have to compile it for myself, or is there a
    > working version out?

    that should be the one you used for 11.23 :-)

    > (I'm surprised that HP does not ship Emacs;

    last time I checked they don't even ship their X11 and Motif headers,
    so why should they bother with an alien product ?

    > no programmer should be without)

    well, I might consider myself as a programmer,
    but as an editor, I prefer "nedit" by far.
    Low footprint and much less hassle. But YMMV, as usual.

  3. Re: Q: non-core-dumping GNU EMacs on 11.31 IA64?

    m.kraemer@gsi.de (Michael Kraemer) writes:

    > In article <87ir3pxrug.fsf@pc9454.klinik.uni-regensburg.de>, Ulrich Windl
    > writes:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've downloaded Emacs and the needed packages form the HP-UX porting center,
    >> but Emacs just dumps core when being started from a text terminal. For 11.23
    >> had a working Emacs. Do I really have to compile it for myself, or is there a
    >> working version out?

    > that should be the one you used for 11.23 :-)
    >

    >> (I'm surprised that HP does not ship Emacs;

    > last time I checked they don't even ship their X11 and Motif headers,
    > so why should they bother with an alien product ?
    >
    >> no programmer should be without)

    > well, I might consider myself as a programmer,
    > but as an editor, I prefer "nedit" by far.
    > Low footprint and much less hassle. But YMMV, as usual.

    Well GNU Emacs worked with MS-DOS (plus "DOS-extender") in text mode, it works
    in text terminals, it works in MS-Windows/XP, and it works with Linux and
    HP-UX, text-mode and graphics mode. One interface for any OS, and I never had
    any data loss using Emacs...

    Ulrich

  4. Re: Q: non-core-dumping GNU EMacs on 11.31 IA64?

    For your records: The latest emacs 22.1 gets a "Memory fault" on IA64 HP-UX
    11.31 (rx3600). I tweaked the Emacs sources a bit to start compilation, but
    Emacs cannot dump itself: The file format IA64 ELF-32 is unknown to Emacs.

    In the meantime I installed the "old " 21.2 Emacs for HP-UX 11 running PA-RISC
    emulation...

    BTW: It's an old Emacs bug that some of the LISP files are installed with
    "rwx" for everyone, plus rather random owner and group. Maybe try "find
    /usr/local -nouser -o -nogroup -o -perm -002"...

    Ulrich

  5. Re: Q: non-core-dumping GNU EMacs on 11.31 IA64?

    Ulrich Windl schrieb:
    > For your records: The latest emacs 22.1 gets a "Memory fault" on IA64 HP-UX
    > 11.31 (rx3600). I tweaked the Emacs sources a bit to start compilation, but
    > Emacs cannot dump itself: The file format IA64 ELF-32 is unknown to Emacs.
    >
    > In the meantime I installed the "old " 21.2 Emacs for HP-UX 11 running PA-RISC
    > emulation...

    So the message is: stay away from itanic, stay with PA-RISC :-)
    But we knew that before.

  6. Re: Q: non-core-dumping GNU EMacs on 11.31 IA64?

    Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > In article <87ir3pxrug.fsf@pc9454.klinik.uni-regensburg.de>, Ulrich Windl
    > writes:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've downloaded Emacs and the needed packages form the HP-UX porting center,
    >> but Emacs just dumps core when being started from a text terminal. For 11.23
    >> had a working Emacs. Do I really have to compile it for myself, or is there a
    >> working version out?

    > that should be the one you used for 11.23 :-)
    >
    >> (I'm surprised that HP does not ship Emacs;

    > last time I checked they don't even ship their X11 and Motif headers,
    > so why should they bother with an alien product ?

    Well, actually xemacs might be the only one emacs version officially
    shipped (as a part of SB-SoftBenchCore product) and, as I've tried it,
    worked nicely ;-)

    __Vali

+ Reply to Thread