lsof - HP UX

This is a discussion on lsof - HP UX ; ....has anyone used this tool? wondering how accurate it is on HPUX 11.11i. I ran it but it lists alot of IPv4 ports listed as *.* and IDLE....

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: lsof

  1. lsof

    ....has anyone used this tool? wondering how accurate it is on HPUX
    11.11i.
    I ran it but it lists alot of IPv4 ports listed as *.* and IDLE.

  2. Re: lsof

    Ht a écrit :
    > ...has anyone used this tool? wondering how accurate it is on HPUX
    > 11.11i.
    > I ran it but it lists alot of IPv4 ports listed as *.* and IDLE.

    We use it a lot at work.
    If you see wrong result, try recompiling it since lsof go into private
    internal kernel structures.

  3. Re: lsof

    On Nov 25, 6:46 am, Alain wrote:
    > Ht a écrit :> ...has anyone used this tool? wondering how accurate it is on HPUX
    > > 11.11i.
    > > I ran it but it lists alot of IPv4 ports listed as *.* and IDLE.

    >
    > We use it a lot at work.
    > If you see wrong result, try recompiling it since lsof go into private
    > internal kernel structures.


    This is bizarre.
    So i rebuilt it on the machine i'm running it. When i run it, it says
    the application is holding multiple (in the order of 10) file
    discriptors to IDLE ports as well as a particular configuration file
    and curiously directories as well !!


  4. Re: lsof

    Does this describe multiple open files or the same one? They point to
    the same device and some node name...

    COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
    java 2264 root 208u REG 64,0x5 3079 38214 /opt
    (/dev/vg00/lvol5)
    java 2264 root 209u REG 64,0x5 3079 38214 /opt
    (/dev/vg00/lvol5)
    java 2264 root 210u REG 64,0x5 3079 38214 /opt
    (/dev/vg00/lvol5)
    java 2264 root 211u REG 64,0x5 3079 38214 /opt
    (/dev/vg00/lvol5)
    java 2264 root 212u REG 64,0x5 3079 38214 /opt
    (/dev/vg00/lvol5)
    java 2264 root 213u REG 64,0x5 3079 38214 /opt
    (/dev/vg00/lvol5)
    java 2264 root 214u REG 64,0x5 3079 38214 /opt
    (/dev/vg00/lvol5)
    java 2264 root 215u REG 64,0x5 3079 38214 /opt
    (/dev/vg00/lvol5)

    On Nov 25, 8:43 am, Ht wrote:
    > On Nov 25, 6:46 am, Alain wrote:
    >
    > > Ht a écrit :> ...has anyone used this tool? wondering how accurate itis on HPUX
    > > > 11.11i.
    > > > I ran it but it lists alot of IPv4 ports listed as *.* and IDLE.

    >
    > > We use it a lot at work.
    > > If you see wrong result, try recompiling it since lsof go into private
    > > internal kernel structures.

    >
    > This is bizarre.
    > So i rebuilt it on the machine i'm running it. When i run it, it says
    > the application is holding multiple (in the order of 10) file
    > discriptors to IDLE ports as well as a particular configuration file
    > and curiously directories as well !!



  5. Re: lsof

    Ht a écrit :
    > Does this describe multiple open files or the same one? They point to
    > the same device and some node name...
    >
    > COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
    > java 2264 root 208u REG 64,0x5 3079 38214 /opt
    > (/dev/vg00/lvol5)
    > java 2264 root 209u REG 64,0x5 3079 38214 /opt
    > (/dev/vg00/lvol5)


    Same inode: 38214 which is a directory (/opt). In my opinion, nothing to
    worry about.
    Try "ls -lid /opt" to get /opt'inode.
    lsof is useful to find which process is listening at a port; we use it
    also to find removed huge file but still hold by a process,...

  6. Re: lsof

    I see what you mean Alain. They point to a file that has been
    deleted...but i thought i'd see one of them not the dozens i'm
    seeing...which I'm trying to explain. I actually see the number
    increasing over time. I'm almost wondering if I've got a leak in some
    file reader.

    On Nov 25, 10:15 am, Alain wrote:
    > Ht a écrit :
    >
    > > Does this describe multiple open files or the same one? They point to
    > > the same device and some node name...

    >
    > > COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
    > > java 2264 root 208u REG 64,0x5 3079 38214 /opt
    > > (/dev/vg00/lvol5)
    > > java 2264 root 209u REG 64,0x5 3079 38214 /opt
    > > (/dev/vg00/lvol5)

    >
    > Same inode: 38214 which is a directory (/opt). In my opinion, nothing to
    > worry about.
    > Try "ls -lid /opt" to get /opt'inode.
    > lsof is useful to find which process is listening at a port; we use it
    > also to find removed huge file but still hold by a process,...



  7. Re: lsof

    Any idea how long these idle ports stick around? ...I would have
    thought they would not be in the idle state but wait_close or
    something terminal.
    I'm trying to track down issues where the system runs out of file
    descriptors.

    java_q3p 29846 root 88u IPv4 0x626ac640 0t0 TCP *:*
    (IDLE)
    java_q3p 29846 root 89u IPv4 0x6176c0c0 0t0 TCP *:*
    (IDLE)
    java_q3p 29846 root 90u IPv4 0x5dbfe4c0 0t0 TCP *:*
    (IDLE)
    java_q3p 29846 root 91u IPv4 0x61294280 0t0 TCP *:*
    (IDLE)
    java_q3p 29846 root 92u IPv4 0x59c2a200 0t0 TCP *:*
    (IDLE)
    java_q3p 29846 root 93u IPv4 0x5def3940 0t0 TCP *:*
    (IDLE)
    java_q3p 29846 root 94u IPv4 0x5dd31e40 0t0 TCP *:*
    (IDLE)
    java_q3p 29846 root 95u IPv4 0x5b538580 0t0 TCP *:*
    (IDLE)
    java_q3p 29846 root 96u IPv4 0x61737b00 0t0 TCP *:*
    (IDLE)
    java_q3p 29846 root 97u IPv4 0x61666e80 0t0 TCP *:*
    (IDLE)
    java_q3p 29846 root 98u IPv4 0x5cce5540 0t0 TCP *:*
    (IDLE)
    java_q3p 29846 root 99u IPv4 0x61419940 0t0 TCP *:*
    (IDLE)
    java_q3p 29846 root 100u IPv4 0x607536c0 0t0 TCP *:*
    (IDLE)



    On Nov 25, 10:45 am, Ht wrote:
    > I see what you mean Alain. They point to a file that has been
    > deleted...but i thought i'd see one of them not the dozens i'm
    > seeing...which I'm trying to explain. I actually see the number
    > increasing over time. I'm almost wondering if I've got a leak in some
    > file reader.
    >
    > On Nov 25, 10:15 am, Alain wrote:
    >
    > > Ht a écrit :

    >
    > > > Does this describe multiple open files or the same one? They point to
    > > > the same device and some node name...

    >
    > > > COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
    > > > java 2264 root 208u REG 64,0x5 3079 38214 /opt
    > > > (/dev/vg00/lvol5)
    > > > java 2264 root 209u REG 64,0x5 3079 38214 /opt
    > > > (/dev/vg00/lvol5)

    >
    > > Same inode: 38214 which is a directory (/opt). In my opinion, nothing to
    > > worry about.
    > > Try "ls -lid /opt" to get /opt'inode.
    > > lsof is useful to find which process is listening at a port; we use it
    > > also to find removed huge file but still hold by a process,...



  8. Re: lsof

    Ht writes:

    > Any idea how long these idle ports stick around? ...I would have
    > thought they would not be in the idle state but wait_close or
    > something terminal.
    > I'm trying to track down issues where the system runs out of file
    > descriptors.
    >
    > java_q3p 29846 root 88u IPv4 0x626ac640 0t0 TCP *:*
    > (IDLE)


    Java is always a good source for useless syscalls (and a waste of
    performance). See "tusc" for details...

    Ulrich

  9. Re: lsof

    Ulrich Windl wrote:
    > Ht writes:
    > > Any idea how long these idle ports stick around? ...I would have
    > > thought they would not be in the idle state but wait_close or
    > > something terminal.


    If one just calls socket(AF_INET,SOCK_STREAM,...), then a socket could
    look like that. If one goes all the way through ESTABLISHED and then
    does shutdown() I'm not sure if it ends-up showing unbound as well,
    but I would think it would go to IDLE.

    > > I'm trying to track down issues where the system runs out of file
    > > descriptors.
    > >
    > > java_q3p 29846 root 88u IPv4 0x626ac640 0t0 TCP *:*
    > > (IDLE)


    > Java is always a good source for useless syscalls (and a waste of
    > performance). See "tusc" for details...


    Indeed.

    ftp://ftp.cup.hp.com/dist/networking/tools/ among other places.

    rick jones
    --
    denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance, rebirth...
    where do you want to be today?
    these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

+ Reply to Thread