OpenSSH on HP-UX 10.20 - HP UX

This is a discussion on OpenSSH on HP-UX 10.20 - HP UX ; I just put OpenSSH (from thewrittenword depot, er, depository) onto our aging 745i workstation running 10.20. It seems to have set everything up properly, including PRNGd, so I rebooted the machine. It's now been sitting there at the "Start OpenSSH ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: OpenSSH on HP-UX 10.20

  1. OpenSSH on HP-UX 10.20

    I just put OpenSSH (from thewrittenword depot, er, depository) onto our
    aging 745i workstation running 10.20. It seems to have set everything
    up properly, including PRNGd, so I rebooted the machine. It's now been
    sitting there at the "Start OpenSSH daemon" stage of startup for about
    15 minutes now. Is this normal, at first I thought it must be taking
    it's time generating the keys, now I'm not so sure. I'm not hugely
    experienced with system administration, I just use it to run
    instrumentation and need ssh to get files on and off the system. Any
    help, advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Stewart

  2. Re: OpenSSH on HP-UX 10.20

    Stewart Smith wrote:
    > I just put OpenSSH (from thewrittenword depot, er, depository) onto our
    > aging 745i workstation running 10.20. It seems to have set everything
    > up properly, including PRNGd, so I rebooted the machine. It's now been
    > sitting there at the "Start OpenSSH daemon" stage of startup for about
    > 15 minutes now. Is this normal, at first I thought it must be taking
    > it's time generating the keys, now I'm not so sure. I'm not hugely
    > experienced with system administration, I just use it to run
    > instrumentation and need ssh to get files on and off the system. Any
    > help, advice would be greatly appreciated.
    >


    Never mind, it must have just been generating keys, it's working now.

    Stewart

  3. Re: OpenSSH on HP-UX 10.20

    Stewart Smith writes:

    > I just put OpenSSH (from thewrittenword depot, er, depository) onto our aging
    > 745i workstation running 10.20. It seems to have set everything up properly,
    > including PRNGd, so I rebooted the machine. It's now been sitting there at
    > the "Start OpenSSH daemon" stage of startup for about 15 minutes now. Is this
    > normal, at first I thought it must be taking it's time generating the keys,
    > now I'm not so sure. I'm not hugely experienced with system administration, I
    > just use it to run instrumentation and need ssh to get files on and off the
    > system. Any help, advice would be greatly appreciated.


    Maybe check the random number generation process.


    >
    > Stewart


  4. Re: OpenSSH on HP-UX 10.20

    Ulrich Windl wrote:
    > Stewart Smith writes:
    >
    >> I just put OpenSSH (from thewrittenword depot, er, depository) onto our aging
    >> 745i workstation running 10.20. It seems to have set everything up properly,
    >> including PRNGd, so I rebooted the machine. It's now been sitting there at
    >> the "Start OpenSSH daemon" stage of startup for about 15 minutes now. Is this
    >> normal, at first I thought it must be taking it's time generating the keys,
    >> now I'm not so sure. I'm not hugely experienced with system administration, I
    >> just use it to run instrumentation and need ssh to get files on and off the
    >> system. Any help, advice would be greatly appreciated.

    >
    > Maybe check the random number generation process.
    >


    Well the way the depots set up the start up processes PRNGd was set to
    start before sshd and did so successfully. I accidentaly stopped the
    start up the first time round and rebooted. I left the machine to it
    for a few hours and when I came back it was at the login screen. ssh
    and the associated protocols seem to be working fine for remote access
    now so it's not a problem. I think the etc/init.d/sshd file checks to
    see if there are keys before trying to generate them so it should be
    faster next time I have to take the machine down. Now I've just got to
    deal with the damn security model in our school which means jumping
    through hoops to access it remotely. This was set up thanks to
    incorporating a load of insecure PCs into a network that was mainly *nix
    before.

    Stewart

  5. Re: OpenSSH on HP-UX 10.20

    Stewart Smith writes:

    [...]
    > seem to be working fine for remote access now so it's not a problem. I think
    > the etc/init.d/sshd file checks to see if there are keys before trying to
    > generate them so it should be faster next time I have to take the machine
    > down. Now I've just got to deal with the damn security model in our school


    Please be aware that sshd needs randomness now and then, e.g. for creating
    session keys. If your SSH takes more than three seconds to establish a new
    connection, you may have a problem with your source of randomness.

    > which means jumping through hoops to access it remotely. This was set up
    > thanks to incorporating a load of insecure PCs into a network that was mainly
    > *nix before.
    >
    > Stewart


  6. Re: OpenSSH on HP-UX 10.20

    Ulrich Windl wrote:
    > Stewart Smith writes:


    > [...]
    > > seem to be working fine for remote access now so it's not a problem. I think
    > > the etc/init.d/sshd file checks to see if there are keys before trying to
    > > generate them so it should be faster next time I have to take the machine
    > > down. Now I've just got to deal with the damn security model in our school


    > Please be aware that sshd needs randomness now and then, e.g. for
    > creating session keys. If your SSH takes more than three seconds to
    > establish a new connection, you may have a problem with your source
    > of randomness.


    Indeed, although I think may is the operative word. 10.20 implies old
    PA hardware. Old PA hardware was not always "zippy" on crypto,
    regardless of randomness.

    rick jones
    --
    Wisdom Teeth are impacted, people are affected by the effects of events.
    these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

  7. Re: OpenSSH on HP-UX 10.20

    Rick Jones wrote:
    > Ulrich Windl wrote:
    >> Stewart Smith writes:

    >
    >> [...]
    >>> seem to be working fine for remote access now so it's not a problem. I think
    >>> the etc/init.d/sshd file checks to see if there are keys before trying to
    >>> generate them so it should be faster next time I have to take the machine
    >>> down. Now I've just got to deal with the damn security model in our school

    >
    >> Please be aware that sshd needs randomness now and then, e.g. for
    >> creating session keys. If your SSH takes more than three seconds to
    >> establish a new connection, you may have a problem with your source
    >> of randomness.

    >
    > Indeed, although I think may is the operative word. 10.20 implies old
    > PA hardware. Old PA hardware was not always "zippy" on crypto,
    > regardless of randomness.
    >


    Yes, it's a 745i workstation. If there is a problem with randomness
    will it show up in logs from PRNGd?

    Stewart

+ Reply to Thread