Need to copy data from a logical volume or the whole volumegroup toanother - HP UX

This is a discussion on Need to copy data from a logical volume or the whole volumegroup toanother - HP UX ; I am running HP-UX rp4440 B.11.11 U 9000/800. I need to copy data from 2 logical volumes to other 2 or the whole volume group to another. all of similar sizes. What command can I use?...

  1. Need to copy data from a logical volume or the whole volumegroup toanother

    I am running HP-UX rp4440 B.11.11 U 9000/800. I need to copy data from
    2 logical volumes to other 2 or the whole volume group to another. all
    of similar sizes. What command can I use?

  2. Re: Need to copy data from a logical volume or the whole volumegroup to another

    In article ,
    mchivaviro@gmail.com writes:
    > I am running HP-UX rp4440 B.11.11 U 9000/800. I need to copy data from
    > 2 logical volumes to other 2 or the whole volume group to another. all
    > of similar sizes. What command can I use?

    Well, I used rsync with good success. Just create the new volume group(s)
    and/or logical volumes. Then create empty filesystems. Then you rsync to
    create a "mirror" ot the old filesystem.

    vgcreate -e 8192 -p 64 -s 32 vgabc /dev/dsk/c1t5d0 /dev/dsk/c2t5d0
    lvcreate -n lvabc -L 20000 /dev/vgabc
    newfs -F vxfs /dev/vgabc/rlvabc
    mount /dev/vgabc/lvabc /nabc
    /usr/local/bin/rsync -avz --delete --inplace /oabc/ /nabc

    Assuming /oabc contains your old filesystem, /nabc will be the new one.

    Yours, Hans Martin.

    (rsync can be obtained from the HP-UX Porting Centre http://hpux.connect.org.uk)

  3. Re: Need to copy data from a logical volume or the whole volumegroupto another

    On Nov 15, 6:28 am, r...@heron.bfi.admin.ch (root) wrote:
    > In article ,
    > mchivav...@gmail.com writes:
    >
    > > I am running HP-UX rp4440 B.11.11 U 9000/800. I need to copy data from
    > > 2 logical volumes to other 2 or the whole volume group to another. all
    > > of similar sizes. What command can I use?

    > Well, I used rsync with good success. Just create the new volume group(s)
    > and/or logical volumes. Then create empty filesystems. Then you rsync to
    > create a "mirror" ot the old filesystem.
    >
    > vgcreate -e 8192 -p 64 -s 32 vgabc /dev/dsk/c1t5d0 /dev/dsk/c2t5d0
    > lvcreate -n lvabc -L 20000 /dev/vgabc
    > newfs -F vxfs /dev/vgabc/rlvabc
    > mount /dev/vgabc/lvabc /nabc
    > /usr/local/bin/rsync -avz --delete --inplace /oabc/ /nabc
    >
    > Assuming /oabc contains your old filesystem, /nabc will be the new one.
    >
    > Yours, Hans Martin.
    >
    > (rsync can be obtained from the HP-UX Porting Centrehttp://hpux.connect.org.uk)

    We've moved Terabytes around with cpio (most of our SAN Migrations).
    cd dir
    find ./ -depth -print |cpio -pdmuxv /mig/new_dir (with new_dir being
    new mount point)

    But you could use cp, dd or rsync as well. I do assume these are all
    on the same server.

+ Reply to Thread