problem with mailx - HP UX

This is a discussion on problem with mailx - HP UX ; Hi, I am trying to send a mail using below command. I dont see any error being thrown while running the command but I dont get the mail also. # uuencode test mail | mailx -r testing -s "testing" # ...

  1. problem with mailx

    Hi,

    I am trying to send a mail using below command. I dont see any error
    being thrown while running the command but I dont get the mail also.

    # uuencode test mail | mailx -r testing -s "testing"

    # uname -a
    HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 3870131202 unlimited-user license

    Is there anything wrong with the command?
    How do I troubleshoot?

    Thanks,
    Mehaboob

  2. Re: problem with mailx

    I'd drop the "-r testing" from the mailx command. Here's the command I
    use, but you could uuencode it like you are doing as well.

    cat filename | uuencode attachmentName | mailx -m -s "Subjest"

    On Aug 29, 9:31 pm, mehab...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to send a mail using below command. I dont see any error
    > being thrown while running the command but I dont get the mail also.
    >
    > # uuencode test mail | mailx -r testing -s "testing"
    >
    > # uname -a
    > HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 3870131202 unlimited-user license
    >
    > Is there anything wrong with the command?
    > How do I troubleshoot?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mehaboob

  3. Re: problem with mailx

    mehaboob@gmail.com writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to send a mail using below command. I dont see any error
    > being thrown while running the command but I dont get the mail also.
    >
    > # uuencode test mail | mailx -r testing -s "testing"
    >
    > # uname -a
    > HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 3870131202 unlimited-user license
    >
    > Is there anything wrong with the command?
    > How do I troubleshoot?

    # message on standard output or standard error?
    more /var/adm/syslog/mail.log # I'think; see /etc/syslog.conf

    > Thanks,
    > Mehaboob

  4. Re: problem with mailx

    On Aug 29, 8:31 pm, mehab...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to send a mail using below command. I dont see any error
    > being thrown while running the command but I dont get the mail also.
    >
    > # uuencode test mail | mailx -r testing -s "testing"
    >
    > # uname -a
    > HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64 3870131202 unlimited-user license
    >
    > Is there anything wrong with the command?
    > How do I troubleshoot?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mehaboob

    I have used:
    uuencode $OUTPUT_FILENAME $OUTPUT_FILENAME | $MAIL_COMMAND -s
    "$OUTPUT_FILENAME" $NOTIFY_WHO

    Where
    MAIL_COMMAND is mailx

    On: HP-UX ******** B.11.23 U ia64

    Miles

  5. Re: problem with mailx

    > I am trying to send a mail using below command.
    > # uuencode test mail | mailx -r testing -s "testing"

    Yep, This command works for me.

    > I dont see any error being thrown while running the command but I dont get the mail also.

    The system is accepting the mail to deliver (otherwise it would have
    returned an error). Sounds like we need to find out where the email is
    going then.

    Is the mail id on the system, or a different system? Try sending it to
    root from root, as this should show up instantly and without problems.
    If it doesn't look for a .forward file in root's home directory or
    look in /etc/mail/aliases to make sure mail to root isn't being
    redirected.

    If that works, then you need to check out the /etc/mail/
    sendmail.cf .Decoding this file can be a bit difficult, but check out
    the Smart Relay line (it starts with DS) - this will tell you where
    you relay the mail through - or if you are sending it straight out to
    destination mail servers. If you are setup to use a relay, check with
    the admin of that server to verify that you are allowed to relay mail
    from your server. If you are sending directly from this server to
    remote mail servers, then you should verify DNS is setup correctly
    with regards to the MX records (both forward and reverse) as many
    people use it to help fight spam.

    I agree with Ulrich that the mail.log should shed some light on where
    the email is going. This will also provide the return code from the
    remote mail server. If there is not a mail.log then look in /etc/
    syslog.conf to see if you have something like:
    mail.debug /var/adm/syslog/mail.log
    In there to write out debug from the mail server. If not add it and
    restart syslog.

    Hope this helps you on you way.

+ Reply to Thread