Q: HP-UX 11.11 SCSI "lbolt" - HP UX

This is a discussion on Q: HP-UX 11.11 SCSI "lbolt" - HP UX ; Hi, in SCSI error messages in syslog HP-UX 11.11 reports an "lbolt" value. Can anybody explain what that is? Occasionally our system (that is up since September 2006) reacts a bit odd, and I noticed that the "lbolt" values are ...

  1. Q: HP-UX 11.11 SCSI "lbolt"

    Hi,

    in SCSI error messages in syslog HP-UX 11.11 reports an "lbolt" value.
    Can anybody explain what that is?

    Occasionally our system (that is up since September 2006) reacts a bit odd,
    and I noticed that the "lbolt" values are negative (usually they are
    positive). Could that couse some problem (when the system is up for a very
    long time)?
    To be concrete: a DDS tape in a DDS drive caused syslog to report SCSI Parity
    errors and SCSI resets. IMHO a SCSI parity error is a transport problem
    between the SCSI device and the HBA, and should not be caused by a bad tape in
    a drive (unless the reported parity error is nonsense).

    The latest installed SCSI-related pathes are
    PHKL_33425 (tape)
    PHKL_32090 (HBA)

    Regards,
    Ulrich

  2. Re: Q: HP-UX 11.11 SCSI "lbolt"

    On 08 Aug 2007, Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > in SCSI error messages in syslog HP-UX 11.11 reports an "lbolt"
    > value. Can anybody explain what that is?
    >
    > Occasionally our system (that is up since September 2006) reacts a
    > bit odd, and I noticed that the "lbolt" values are negative (usually
    > they are positive). Could that couse some problem (when the system
    > is up for a very long time)? To be concrete: a DDS tape in a DDS
    > drive caused syslog to report SCSI Parity errors and SCSI
    > resets. IMHO a SCSI parity error is a transport problem between the
    > SCSI device and the HBA, and should not be caused by a bad tape in a
    > drive (unless the reported parity error is nonsense).
    >
    > The latest installed SCSI-related pathes are
    > PHKL_33425 (tape)
    > PHKL_32090 (HBA)
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ulrich

    Hi Ulrich,

    "lbolt" is an alias for a kernel global which contains the number of
    clock ticks since the machine was booted. It's an unsigned long, so it
    never really goes negative, although it does wrap.

    The SCSI driver syslog messages print the value of lbolt with a '%d'
    format directive, so it will print a negative value when the high bit
    is lit. This is unrelated to the underlying cause of the messages.

    Regards,
    Carl Davidson

  3. Re: Q: HP-UX 11.11 SCSI "lbolt"

    carl.davidson@hp.com writes:

    > On 08 Aug 2007, Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > in SCSI error messages in syslog HP-UX 11.11 reports an "lbolt"
    > > value. Can anybody explain what that is?

    [...]
    > Hi Ulrich,
    >
    > "lbolt" is an alias for a kernel global which contains the number of
    > clock ticks since the machine was booted. It's an unsigned long, so it
    > never really goes negative, although it does wrap.
    >
    > The SCSI driver syslog messages print the value of lbolt with a '%d'
    > format directive, so it will print a negative value when the high bit
    > is lit. This is unrelated to the underlying cause of the messages.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Carl Davidson

    Hi Carl,

    thanks for the explanation. I had suspected that it's something like a "SCSI
    transaction counter" to correlate kernel messages.
    As a side note: It would be good if all SCSI-related kernel messages had the
    "SCSI:" prefix. So I could "grep SCSI: /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log".

    Regards,
    Ulrich

+ Reply to Thread