Migration of Servers running Oracle from Kclass to Nclass - HP UX

This is a discussion on Migration of Servers running Oracle from Kclass to Nclass - HP UX ; Hi All I am planning for migrating a physical server running HP-UX 11 x Oracle databases from a Kclass hardware to Nclass hardware.. I have ignite backups taken. Suggest me for the steps and pre requesties. Thanks in advance....

  1. Migration of Servers running Oracle from Kclass to Nclass

    Hi All

    I am planning for migrating a physical server running HP-UX 11 x
    Oracle databases from a Kclass hardware to Nclass hardware.. I have
    ignite backups taken. Suggest me for the steps and pre requesties.
    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Migration of Servers running Oracle from Kclass to Nclass

    KING wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > I am planning for migrating a physical server running HP-UX 11 x
    > Oracle databases from a Kclass hardware to Nclass hardware.. I have
    > ignite backups taken. Suggest me for the steps and pre requesties.
    > Thanks in advance.

    KING,

    Have made the ignite backups with the option for interactive restore?
    You will need it, probably the disklayout is different on the new machine.

    The rest should be mostly a common restore.

    Check on the Oracle Metalink if you need to change your kernel
    parameters. Probably not, if you stay on the same HP-UX 11.x level.
    Depends on the a mount of internal memory of the Nclass you do not
    mention if it is bigger the the Kclass.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  3. Re: Migration of Servers running Oracle from Kclass to Nclass

    KING wrote:
    > I am planning for migrating a physical server running HP-UX 11 x
    > Oracle databases from a Kclass hardware to Nclass hardware.. I have
    > ignite backups taken. Suggest me for the steps and pre requesties.

    Why such a small jump? The N Class first shipped in 1998. Are you
    limited to hardware on hand? I'd think that a migration from a K
    class to say an rx3600 (or rx2660), or to an rp[34]NN if you _had_ to
    stay on PA-RISC would provide a much longer lifetime.

    rick jones