First time boot of HP-UX hangs - HP UX

This is a discussion on First time boot of HP-UX hangs - HP UX ; Guys, I installed HP_UX 11iV1 last night on a B2000 with 9 GB hard disk, 1.25 GB RAM. I took the defaults, except I chose to make the system a DHCP client. Upon first reboot, the boot process hangs at ...

  1. First time boot of HP-UX hangs

    Guys,
    I installed HP_UX 11iV1 last night on a B2000 with 9 GB hard disk,
    1.25 GB RAM.
    I took the defaults, except I chose to make the system a DHCP client.

    Upon first reboot, the boot process hangs at the following:
    Start NFS client subsystem .................... [wait/busy]

    then the foll line appears in its place

    NFS server (pid968@/net) not responding

    Can someone tell me what to do next? Is there someway to make it move
    on and skip this step?
    Also how can I find out where/why this error has occured.

    Thanks.
    P.S: I am totally new to HP-UX admin in terms of installation and
    config.

  2. Re: First time boot of HP-UX hangs

    thick_guy_9 wrote:
    > Guys,
    > I installed HP_UX 11iV1 last night on a B2000 with 9 GB hard disk,
    > 1.25 GB RAM.
    > I took the defaults, except I chose to make the system a DHCP client.

    > Upon first reboot, the boot process hangs at the following:
    > Start NFS client subsystem .................... [wait/busy]

    > then the foll line appears in its place

    > NFS server (pid968@/net) not responding

    > Can someone tell me what to do next? Is there someway to make it move
    > on and skip this step?
    > Also how can I find out where/why this error has occured.

    I'm a triffle surprised that a fresh install would be trying to talk
    to any NFS server, but it suggests that the networking might not be
    happiness and joy. Was there previous logging which suggested that
    the lan interface came-up OK?

    rick jones

  3. Re: First time boot of HP-UX hangs

    "thick_guy_9" wrote in message
    news:1186096683.704662.176590@i13g2000prf.googlegr oups.com...
    > Guys,
    > I installed HP_UX 11iV1 last night on a B2000 with 9 GB hard disk,
    > 1.25 GB RAM.
    > I took the defaults, except I chose to make the system a DHCP client.
    >
    > Upon first reboot, the boot process hangs at the following:
    > Start NFS client subsystem .................... [wait/busy]
    >
    > then the foll line appears in its place
    >
    > NFS server (pid968@/net) not responding
    >

    > Can someone tell me what to do next? Is there someway to make it move
    > on and skip this step?
    > Also how can I find out where/why this error has occured.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > P.S: I am totally new to HP-UX admin in terms of installation and
    > config.

    Take a look at /etc/rc.config.d/netconf
    In the file there may be a variable relating to NFS.
    You can disable the NFS stuff by setting the appropriate variable to 0.

    I think there is also an /etc/nfsconf file. Take a look at that too.

    Mike

  4. Re: First time boot of HP-UX hangs

    > Take a look at /etc/rc.config.d/netconf
    > In the file there may be a variable relating to NFS.
    > You can disable the NFS stuff by setting the appropriate variable to 0.
    >
    > I think there is also an /etc/nfsconf file. Take a look at that too.
    >
    > Mike- Hide quoted text -

    trouble is, the boot won't go beyond this stage. How can I get a
    console to login into?
    I read on one itrc thread that it takes 30 mins to get past this
    stage, perhaps I need to wait that long.

    Not very pleasant!!

  5. Re: First time boot of HP-UX hangs

    thick_guy_9 wrote:
    >> Take a look at /etc/rc.config.d/netconf
    >> In the file there may be a variable relating to NFS.
    >> You can disable the NFS stuff by setting the appropriate variable to 0.
    >>
    >> I think there is also an /etc/nfsconf file. Take a look at that too.
    >>
    >> Mike- Hide quoted text -

    > trouble is, the boot won't go beyond this stage. How can I get a
    > console to login into?

    Did you try CTRL-SHIFT-\ (i.e. CTRL-|) on the console?

    Don

    > I read on one itrc thread that it takes 30 mins to get past this
    > stage, perhaps I need to wait that long.
    >
    > Not very pleasant!!

  6. Re: First time boot of HP-UX hangs

    thick_guy_9 wrote:
    >>Take a look at /etc/rc.config.d/netconf
    >>In the file there may be a variable relating to NFS.
    >>You can disable the NFS stuff by setting the appropriate variable to 0.
    >>
    >>I think there is also an /etc/nfsconf file. Take a look at that too.
    >>
    >>Mike- Hide quoted text -

    > trouble is, the boot won't go beyond this stage. How can I get a
    > console to login into?
    > I read on one itrc thread that it takes 30 mins to get past this
    > stage, perhaps I need to wait that long.
    >
    > Not very pleasant!!

    Thick Guy 9,

    You can also go to single user mode

    To explain the way to do so we need to know what machine model you run.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  7. Re: First time boot of HP-UX hangs

    Thanks guys,
    I reinstalled HP-UX.
    Now I can see the CDE login screen.
    But networking has not at all been configured.

    Because of this, I cannot do a regular login, but need to do a
    failsafe login.

    Are there any docs that give detailed guidance about configuring
    networks?

    Thanks

  8. Re: First time boot of HP-UX hangs

    thick_guy_9 wrote:
    > Thanks guys,
    > I reinstalled HP-UX.
    > Now I can see the CDE login screen.
    > But networking has not at all been configured.

    It didn't ask you during the re-install or the first post-install
    boot?

    You can try (IIRC) /sbin/set_parms with a suitable argument to get the
    networking configured.

    rick jones
    where do you want to be today?

  9. Re: First time boot of HP-UX hangs

    thick_guy_9 wrote:

    >> Take a look at /etc/rc.config.d/netconf
    >> In the file there may be a variable relating to NFS.
    >> You can disable the NFS stuff by setting the appropriate variable to 0.
    >>
    >> I think there is also an /etc/nfsconf file. Take a look at that too.
    >>
    >> Mike- Hide quoted text -

    >trouble is, the boot won't go beyond this stage. How can I get a
    >console to login into?
    >I read on one itrc thread that it takes 30 mins to get past this
    >stage, perhaps I need to wait that long.
    >
    >Not very pleasant!!

    | Ted Linnell |
    | |
    | Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

  10. Re: First time boot of HP-UX hangs

    thick_guy_9 wrote:

    >> Take a look at /etc/rc.config.d/netconf
    >> In the file there may be a variable relating to NFS.
    >> You can disable the NFS stuff by setting the appropriate variable to 0.
    >>
    >> I think there is also an /etc/nfsconf file. Take a look at that too.
    >>
    >> Mike- Hide quoted text -

    >trouble is, the boot won't go beyond this stage. How can I get a
    >console to login into?
    >I read on one itrc thread that it takes 30 mins to get past this
    >stage, perhaps I need to wait that long.
    >
    >Not very pleasant!!

    You should be able to boot into single user mode, which won't run any
    of this startup stuff.

    There is a point in the boot where it outputs a message like "hit any
    key to interupd the ISL" or some such thing and pauses for about 10
    seconds.
    When you get the message hit a key and you should het an "ISL>"
    prompt.
    enter "hpux -is" and it will come up in single user.You should then be
    able to look at the files in /etc/rc.config.d.

    Alternatively, you could wait the 30 mins or so for the NFS process to
    time out.
    Or some times cntl \ will kill the process with the issue and allow
    the boot to continue, but it may cause other issues.

    Regards,

    Ted.
    | Ted Linnell |
    | |