Environment Variable Length - HP UX

This is a discussion on Environment Variable Length - HP UX ; What is the default env var length, how can I make it longer, what do I do if I can't make it longer? Aaron Hirshberg ahirshbe@us.ibm.com...

  1. Environment Variable Length

    What is the default env var length, how can I make it longer, what do
    I do if I can't make it longer?

    Aaron Hirshberg
    ahirshbe@us.ibm.com

  2. Re: Environment Variable Length

    aaronhirshberg@yahoo.com wrote:
    > What is the default env var length, how can I make it longer, what
    > do I do if I can't make it longer?

    I've no idea if it changes from one release to another, but it is
    generally a good idea to state for which releases of the OS you seek
    the information. Some google searching suggested that at least some
    revisions of HP-UX had information relating to that in the "environ"
    manpage. There may be related information in the sysconf and getconf
    manpages.

    As for what one does if you cannot make the environment variable data
    longer (I presume you mean the data associated with the envvar and not
    its name) that may depend - presumably one could start to use more
    than one envvar, or have an envvar which pointed to a file which had
    all the information in it.

    rick jones
    - Rick Jones

  3. Re: Environment Variable Length

    I found the solution in an old discussion thread from two years ago.
    The question asker from two years ago? ME! Too bad I didn't write
    down the answer at that time.

  4. Re: Environment Variable Length

    "aaronhirshberg@yahoo.com" writes:

    > I found the solution in an old discussion thread from two years ago.
    > The question asker from two years ago? ME! Too bad I didn't write
    > down the answer at that time.

    Glad you have an Internet-extended brain ;-)

    Ulrich

+ Reply to Thread