Q: HP-UX LUN-based disks (FC) - HP UX

This is a discussion on Q: HP-UX LUN-based disks (FC) - HP UX ; Hi, I have basically two questions (for HP-UX 11.11 and newer): HP technican said HP-UX can deal with non-contiguous LUNs for disks, but it seems it cannot; is there a patch maybe? The sympom is: A FC-based disk array (HP ...

  1. Q: HP-UX LUN-based disks (FC)

    Hi,

    I have basically two questions (for HP-UX 11.11 and newer):

    HP technican said HP-UX can deal with non-contiguous LUNs for disks, but it
    seems it cannot; is there a patch maybe? The sympom is: A FC-based disk array
    (HP EVA 4000) presents these LUNs to a host: 0,1,2,3,4, 9. When doind an
    ioscan on the FC-HBA, device files are created for LUNs 0-4, but not for 9.
    That's my question: Is HP-UX able to detect non-contiguous LUNs automatically?

    The second question is: If HP-UX cannot detect those automatically, can it
    access the hardware if I create a correct device file manually?

    Finally, it seems HP-UX can only ioscan a complete FC-HBA, but it cannot
    ioscan for a specific LUN. Maybe that means that the answer to both questions
    above is "no".

    Any insights on that? (The background for this is: We want to present the same
    virtual disks as the same LUNs in all nodes of a cluster where the nodes are
    not perfectly symmetric).

    Regards,
    Ulrich

  2. Re: Q: HP-UX LUN-based disks (FC)

    On Jul 26, 2:51 am, Ulrich Windl
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have basically two questions (for HP-UX 11.11 and newer):
    >
    > HP technican said HP-UX can deal with non-contiguous LUNs for disks, but it
    > seems it cannot; is there a patch maybe? The sympom is: A FC-based disk array
    > (HP EVA 4000) presents these LUNs to a host: 0,1,2,3,4, 9. When doind an
    > ioscan on the FC-HBA, device files are created for LUNs 0-4, but not for 9.
    > That's my question: Is HP-UX able to detect non-contiguous LUNs automatically?

    Uhm, have you tried it with LUNs smaller than 7, e.g., 0,1,5,6? If
    that works then the issue is probably related to volume set addressing
    configuration in the array.

    See http://docs.hp.com/en/AB378-96003/ch01s10.html

    --
    Luis P Caamano
    Atlanta, GA USA

  3. Re: Q: HP-UX LUN-based disks (FC)

    lcaamano writes:

    > On Jul 26, 2:51 am, Ulrich Windl
    > wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have basically two questions (for HP-UX 11.11 and newer):
    > >
    > > HP technican said HP-UX can deal with non-contiguous LUNs for disks, but it
    > > seems it cannot; is there a patch maybe? The sympom is: A FC-based disk array
    > > (HP EVA 4000) presents these LUNs to a host: 0,1,2,3,4, 9. When doind an
    > > ioscan on the FC-HBA, device files are created for LUNs 0-4, but not for 9.
    > > That's my question: Is HP-UX able to detect non-contiguous LUNs automatically?

    > Uhm, have you tried it with LUNs smaller than 7, e.g., 0,1,5,6? If
    > that works then the issue is probably related to volume set addressing
    > configuration in the array.
    >
    > See http://docs.hp.com/en/AB378-96003/ch01s10.html

    Linux (used as a test) finds them all...if that says anything.

    > --
    > Luis P Caamano
    > Atlanta, GA USA

  4. Re: HP-UX LUN-based disks (FC)

    "Ulrich Windl" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have basically two questions (for HP-UX 11.11 and newer):
    >
    > HP technican said HP-UX can deal with non-contiguous LUNs for disks, but
    > it
    > seems it cannot; is there a patch maybe? The sympom is: A FC-based disk
    > array
    > (HP EVA 4000) presents these LUNs to a host: 0,1,2,3,4, 9. When doind an
    > ioscan on the FC-HBA, device files are created for LUNs 0-4, but not for
    > 9.
    > That's my question: Is HP-UX able to detect non-contiguous LUNs
    > automatically?
    >
    > The second question is: If HP-UX cannot detect those automatically, can it
    > access the hardware if I create a correct device file manually?
    >
    > Finally, it seems HP-UX can only ioscan a complete FC-HBA, but it cannot
    > ioscan for a specific LUN. Maybe that means that the answer to both
    > questions
    > above is "no".
    >
    > Any insights on that? (The background for this is: We want to present the
    > same
    > virtual disks as the same LUNs in all nodes of a cluster where the nodes
    > are
    > not perfectly symmetric).
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ulrich

    I have not (yet) tried this on an EVA, but HP-UX (11.00, 11.11 and 11.23)
    will work quite happily on non-contiguous LUNs off a VA array.

    Will test on an EVA6000 (with HPUX 11.23 IA) for you.

  5. Re: HP-UX LUN-based disks (FC)

    "Kilgaard" writes:

    [...]
    > I have not (yet) tried this on an EVA, but HP-UX (11.00, 11.11 and 11.23)
    > will work quite happily on non-contiguous LUNs off a VA array.
    >
    > Will test on an EVA6000 (with HPUX 11.23 IA) for you.

    Thanks. I only noticed that for HP-UX the LUNs are not presented as type
    "disk", but as "RAID"; maybe that makes the difference? (Linux would detect
    the LUNs, but would not use those as disks (until the presentation OS was set
    to Linux...))

    Ulrich

  6. Re: HP-UX LUN-based disks (FC)

    > "Kilgaard" writes:
    >
    > [...]
    >> I have not (yet) tried this on an EVA, but HP-UX (11.00, 11.11 and 11.23)
    >> will work quite happily on non-contiguous LUNs off a VA array.
    >>
    >> Will test on an EVA6000 (with HPUX 11.23 IA) for you.

    > Thanks. I only noticed that for HP-UX the LUNs are not presented as type
    > "disk", but as "RAID"; maybe that makes the difference? (Linux would
    > detect
    > the LUNs, but would not use those as disks (until the presentation OS was
    > set
    > to Linux...))

    On my 11.23 IPF server I presented a new LUN6 to the server. This server
    currently has LUNs 1 and 3 presented, but it did have a LUN2 at some point
    in the past (and hence the gap in the numbering). Note the LUN6 is still on
    the same sctl as the existing LUNs. I did not want to polute the server with
    addition sctl's so kept the LUN as 7 or less. This may be the issue you are
    seeing in that LUN9 will be on a different sctl, but I have another server
    (11.00 attached to a VA array) that uses LUNs 100 thru 104.

    ioscan (as per the man page) only works at the "bus" level, which
    effectively means at the EVA controller level, and not the individual LUN
    level. This should not cause any issues, as the scan will only be talking to
    the EVA, and should not disrupt traffic to any other devices (like FC
    tapes).

    # ioscan -fn -H 0/3/1/0.1.22.0.0

    Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description
    ext_bus 5 0/3/1/0.1.22.0.0 fcd_vbus CLAIMED INTERFACE FCP
    Array Interface
    target 4 0/3/1/0.1.22.0.0.0 tgt CLAIMED DEVICE
    ctl 3 0/3/1/0.1.22.0.0.0.0 sctl CLAIMED DEVICE HP
    HSV200
    /dev/rscsi/c5t0d0
    disk 6 0/3/1/0.1.22.0.0.0.1 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HP
    HSV200
    /dev/dsk/c5t0d1 /dev/rdsk/c5t0d1
    disk 11 0/3/1/0.1.22.0.0.0.3 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HP
    HSV200
    /dev/dsk/c5t0d3 /dev/rdsk/c5t0d3
    disk 37 0/3/1/0.1.22.0.0.0.6 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HP
    HSV200

    # insf

    insf: Installing special files for sdisk instance 37 address
    0/3/1/0.1.22.0.0.0.6

    All as expected. Note that this server is dual attached (so four paths to
    the EVA) but I limited the ioscan to just one path, and it created just the
    one special file. The other three paths remain undetected.

  7. Re: HP-UX LUN-based disks (FC)

    "Kilgaard" writes:

    > "Ulrich Windl" wrote in message
    > > "Kilgaard" writes:
    > >
    > > [...]
    > >> I have not (yet) tried this on an EVA, but HP-UX (11.00, 11.11 and 11.23)
    > >> will work quite happily on non-contiguous LUNs off a VA array.
    > >>
    > >> Will test on an EVA6000 (with HPUX 11.23 IA) for you.

    > > Thanks. I only noticed that for HP-UX the LUNs are not presented as type
    > > "disk", but as "RAID"; maybe that makes the difference? (Linux would
    > > detect
    > > the LUNs, but would not use those as disks (until the presentation OS was
    > > set
    > > to Linux...))
    > >

    > On my 11.23 IPF server I presented a new LUN6 to the server. This server
    > currently has LUNs 1 and 3 presented, but it did have a LUN2 at some point
    > in the past (and hence the gap in the numbering). Note the LUN6 is still on
    > the same sctl as the existing LUNs. I did not want to polute the server with
    > addition sctl's so kept the LUN as 7 or less. This may be the issue you are
    > seeing in that LUN9 will be on a different sctl, but I have another server
    > (11.00 attached to a VA array) that uses LUNs 100 thru 104.

    [...]

    Exactly that was the problem: I was looking for some hwpath like *.9 (which
    does not exist, because SCSI LUNs are restricted to the range of 0-7). From
    the docs I learned that a EVA LUN is presented in a fabric to something like
    FC-Adapter, ..., Bus=(LUN / 128), Target=(LUN % 128) / 8, Lun=LUN % 8

    Sorry, but the "Lun" was confusing me. Our older storage systems all had LUN
    numbers < 7.

    Regards,
    Ulrich

+ Reply to Thread